mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
November 9th, 2014 at 2:20:45 PM permalink
Quote: coilman

about $1237 give or take
http://www.in2013dollars.com/1833-dollars-to-2014-dollars

Thanks, everyone for the answers. Incidentally, Mosca, Valentine Thrash was born in Germany in 1749. His father, Martin Treish, brought him across the Atlantic when he was 1 year old. They arrived in Philadelphia in 1750 aboard the ship Brothers, and settled in Baltimore.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
November 9th, 2014 at 2:25:04 PM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

Quote: Mosca

Thanks, Mosca. I have a 5th great grand uncle, Valentine Thrash, who did five stints in the Revolutionary War. In 1832 Congress provided for pensions for the Rev Vets. In 1833 Valentine applied for and received a pension of $45.83 per year. Does anyone know how much money that would be in 2014 dollars?

One more thing about the Rev War pensions. Congress sure waited an awful long time before paying those guys off. The ones still living were all in their seventies, eighties, nineties by then. Valentine was 84 when he got his pension. He lived to be 86. But when he was a 66 year old widower he married a 27 year old. Go Valentine!!! After he died she drew the pension until she died in 1871.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
November 9th, 2014 at 11:38:41 PM permalink
Tell King George go kiss my ass.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
November 10th, 2014 at 1:16:08 AM permalink
Nobody too important past a former member of the US house.
I am a robot.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
November 10th, 2014 at 6:49:07 AM permalink

Tell King George go kiss my ass.

I am led to believe I'm descended from General George Stillwell [sp?] I have a photo of him possibly with granny sitting on his knee?

And, also my Grandmother spelled her maiden name Johnston as you did before and was from Oklahoma?
texasplumr
texasplumr
  • Threads: 13
November 10th, 2014 at 7:19:49 AM permalink
My Mother's maiden name was Hardin. My Grandmother traced the family tree and discovered that we are related to John Wesley Hardin.
Stupid is a choice
ncfatcat
ncfatcat
  • Threads: 2
November 10th, 2014 at 7:56:36 AM permalink
Quote: texasplumr

My Mother's maiden name was Hardin. My Grandmother traced the family tree and discovered that we are related to John Wesley Hardin.

My dads mom was a Hardin. I suspect they are related. Lots of mental illness and antisocial behavior in that branch of the family. My dad was a Harrill, descended from Housand Harrill who came to the US from the Isle of Guernsey and served in the Revolutionary War and was awarded 600 acres of land in Tryon in North Carolina which became Forest City and Rutherfordton, NC for his services.
Gambling is a metaphor for life. Hang around long enough and it's all gone.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
November 10th, 2014 at 11:42:58 AM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

I am led to believe I'm descended from General George Stillwell [sp?] I have a photo of him possibly with granny sitting on his knee? And, also my Grandmother spelled her maiden name Johnston as you did before and was from Oklahoma?

Johnston is a topographical surname and is derived from Johnstone, Scotland in the central lowlands. My immigrant Johnston ancestor was Richard Johnstone/Johnston who arrived in Virginia in 1697. His grandson, Larkin Chew Johnston, and great grandson, Littleton Johnston, were Revolutionary War soldiers of North Carolina.

When George Washington became president he held land lotteries in Georgia. Georgia was the least populated state and had only produced 3000 soldiers for the War. Washington wanted to increase the population. While most were given one draw in the lottery, Rev Vets were given two draws. Both Larkin and Littleton took advantage and wound up in Georgia.

Petro, there is a chance that you and I are distantly related.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
November 10th, 2014 at 12:13:46 PM permalink

Quote: petroglyph

I am led to believe I'm descended from General George Stillwell [sp?] I have a photo of him possibly with granny sitting on his knee? And, also my Grandmother spelled her maiden name Johnston as you did before and was from Oklahoma?

Johnston is a topographical surname and is derived from Johnstone, Scotland in the central lowlands. My immigrant Johnston ancestor was Richard Johnstone/Johnston who arrived in Virginia in 1697. His grandson, Larkin Chew Johnston, and great grandson, Littleton Johnston, were Revolutionary War soldiers of North Carolina.

When George Washington became president he held land lotteries in Georgia. Georgia was the least populated state and had only produced 3000 soldiers for the War. Washington wanted to increase the population. While most were given one draw in the lottery, Rev Vets were given two draws. Both Larkin and Littleton took advantage and wound up in Georgia.

Petro, there is a chance that you and I are distantly related.

I will have to check on the spelling, I don't recall and E on the end. As a kid I was given some confederate money and now I wish I hadn't disrespected it.
Don't we all wish we had asked more questions way back when there were probably answers? I know I had relatives down in those areas you mention. The genealogy is fascinating to me, for pure reasons as you posted above. However if someone wanted to share in the oil wells my mom signed away at an early age I would gladly accept the check.

Relatives, you an me? No doubt, we are brothers by a different mother. It appears that we both have a bit of the same "wanderlust" in our dna?
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
November 10th, 2014 at 9:38:38 PM permalink
The interview of Valentine Thrash

http://revwarapps.org/w1332.pdf
  • Jump to: