Thread Rating:

Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
August 7th, 2020 at 6:22:32 AM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

While a weaker dollar does contribute to a stronger market, it is certainly not the only reason the market has gone up.

Those graphs are near opposite images of each other.

We’re witnessing historic losses for the US dollar in purchasing power. A plummeting dollar creates an inflated stock market effect. A weak dollar does not contribute to what you think is a ‘stronger market’. This is an inflated market.

Quote:

Interest rates getting cut and staying low is a huge reason the market has gone up.

Cutting interest rates only allows corporations to borrow at lower interest rates to buy back their shares with ever weakening dollars.

The stock market tumbled when the Fed cut interest rates in March.

The Dow fell 280 points in June, when the Fed said it would keep interest rates near zero.

The next stimulus will further weaken the dollar and inflate the market even more.

Quote:

People could not go out and spend... so they put it in the stock market.... the smart ones anyway.

Where did you get that?

Nearly half the population is without a job. 32% of Americans missed their housing payments in July. 44% fear they won’t be able to afford to buy food.

Do you really think they’re buying stocks?

I won't add to this.

Getting back to the topic, I favor Amazon and Gold.
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 105
August 7th, 2020 at 3:17:58 PM permalink
Quote: Tanko

Those graphs are near opposite images of each other.

We’re witnessing historic losses for the US dollar in purchasing power. A plummeting dollar creates an inflated stock market effect. A weak dollar does not contribute to what you think is a ‘stronger market’. This is an inflated market.

Cutting interest rates only allows corporations to borrow at lower interest rates to buy back their shares with ever weakening dollars.

The stock market tumbled when the Fed cut interest rates in March.

The Dow fell 280 points in June, when the Fed said it would keep interest rates near zero.

The next stimulus will further weaken the dollar and inflate the market even more.

Where did you get that?

Nearly half the population is without a job. 32% of Americans missed their housing payments in July. 44% fear they won’t be able to afford to buy food.

Do you really think they’re buying stocks?

I won't add to this.

Getting back to the topic, I favor Amazon and Gold.

You can't be serious stating that even with the fed cut in March that the market went down. We had a GLOBAL PANDEMIC!!!! There is nothing on earth or in this galaxy that would have prevented the market from tanking!!!

Additionally, prior to the pandemic, AMERICANS WERE WORKING!! Everyone was happy working and making money. Spending , investing, traveling, eating good. All Americans.. Black, Hispanic , etc. Unemployment ant record lows. Manufacturing brought back to the US. I talked to sooo many people of all races who were happy to be working like never before... even two jobs.

Yes, people were signing up for new brokerage accounts during pandemic and using pandemic money to invest in the market. Do your research and look at the record new accounts in the second quarter with Robinhood, Schwab, ETrade, TD Ameritrade.

Yes, I agree.. Amazon and Gold are good plays. So, what is your point..
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 105
August 10th, 2020 at 12:08:45 PM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

A couple more vaccine stocks which I am in , in addition to nvax, mrna, codx, and ino, which I mentioned before.... I told you a few weeks back that I was in vaccine stocks that were under 1 billion market cap and trading under 10. Here you go.... srne and dvax. srne has now broken into the teens and dvax will soon follow. We have a few more months (4-6 months) for these stocks before the sector dissipates along with the virus after the top 3 vaccines are proven to be effective and safe. Those are my home run shots. Already had multiple grand slams with the others mentioned.

SRNE up substantially in one week since I told you. When I said it was certainly conceivable to make 100% or more with these vaccine stocks, I wasnt kidding. DVAX has yet to make its move but, Im in both as well as the other ones I mentioned.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
August 13th, 2020 at 9:03:56 AM permalink
Sold 5 of Tesla this morning at 1650. I've thought about the many suggestions given to me, but I am probably way overweighted in COFID-19 type stocks. Have MRNA, AZN, ABT, JNJ, PFE, and a few more I can't remember now that are all working on vaccines or therapeutics. So I bought a company LYB, which is Great Britain based. Seems like a 'regular' value company that pays a decent dividend and won't go up too much, but shouldn't tank either. Is down 20-30% from its pre -COVID 19 high.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 28th, 2020 at 2:04:01 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Sold 5 of Tesla this morning at 1650. I've thought about the many suggestions given to me, but I am probably way overweighted in COFID-19 type stocks. Have MRNA, AZN, ABT, JNJ, PFE, and a few more I can't remember now that are all working on vaccines or therapeutics. So I bought a company LYB, which is Great Britain based. Seems like a 'regular' value company that pays a decent dividend and won't go up too much, but shouldn't tank either. Is down 20-30% from its pre -COVID 19 high.

Glad I sold at 1650 instead of 2200 (not!) And bought a stock that went down immediately after I bought it (not!)

But portfolio hit +90% from inception today. Of my 5 separate portfolios the WoV one is by far my best performer. Having TSLA, AAPL, FB, and COST in one portfolio and not in any of the others might explain it......

I think the market is up largely because of how ridiculously low interest rates are. I think there is some term I don't remember that discusses when a company pays more in annual dividend than if you bought a new bond it is issuing, and that is happening quite frequently now. So money that often would (should?) leave the market stays in stocks. I think if I could get safe medium or long term bonds at even 3% I'd be doing so. At less than 1% I just can't get my head around it.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 16
August 28th, 2020 at 2:18:25 PM permalink
I thought I read that TSLA would not trade in today's AH or Monday morning's pre? due to the split that is set to happen after the close today. But as I look at my Level II I see action going on, and the prices reflected are pre-split. Also I have the same number of shares have not increased yet.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 28th, 2020 at 3:19:11 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

I thought I read that TSLA would not trade in today's AH or Monday morning's pre? due to the split that is set to happen after the close today. But as I look at my Level II I see action going on, and the prices reflected are pre-split. Also I have the same number of shares have not increased yet.

I thought that it trades at pre split price until the open on August 31. I virtually never trade pre or post so I’m not concerned.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 31st, 2020 at 2:08:37 PM permalink
Post split after hours just sold 25 of 175 shares at $510. It’s $513 now!!! My B in Law thinks floor will fall out. He is buying puts tomorrow at a price target of 430 for November.

Problem for me is I now have extra cash. So I buy something else that tends to underperform TSLA....
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
September 14th, 2020 at 11:46:08 AM permalink

Post split after hours just sold 25 of 175 shares at $510. It’s $513 now!!! My B in Law thinks floor will fall out. He is buying puts tomorrow at a price target of 430 for November.

Problem for me is I now have extra cash. So I buy something else that tends to underperform TSLA....

B in Law made $2k on his puts. Obviously he sold well before the bottom which was 330 or so. I bought 30 shares at $344, and just sold today at $405, so $1830 profit! I have to remind myself I could just as easily have lost that or more.
The stock I bought to replace the TSLA long term shares is LYB. It's up nearly 10% since then! Also bought some TLRY on B in Law recommendation.... down 10% in the last week......

Full portfolio was up 89% before last Thursday and Friday. Now up 85%.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 302
September 15th, 2020 at 1:45:03 AM permalink

The stock I bought to replace the TSLA long term shares is LYB.

NYSE lists a company with that stock symbol, so I assume that's the same one. Plastics, chemicals, refining. Nice dividends. Would have been a great buy around the 3rd week in March. Might still be good of course, I wouldn't know, but 2018 was its heyday.

What made you look into it?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder

• Jump to: