Thread Rating:

troopscott
troopscott
  • Threads: 20
August 27th, 2018 at 3:40:35 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I do have a good deal of $$ in REIT's. O, NNN are my top 2. I have recently started putting some money in private equity REITs, not publicly traded. With the claims I am a tad worried that I may be having my money "Madoffed". But I have a few friends that have been with this company for a few years and so far have done ok. Only around 1% of my portfolio so I am gambling.....

I have O as well as LTC and a few others. Warren buffet just bought into STOR.

I have been considering the price equities reit as well but like you will be a small part of my portfolio.

I am actually in the process of buying a gas station and once I get closed on it I want to try and take it public and start adding gas stations to the company. This thing profits about 250k a year and just reinvest profits as available into other gas stations. If I can get to 10 stations it would make for a nice little company that rewarded early shareholders.

(please let me be very very clear this is not a solicitation of funds etc just discussing an investment )
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
August 27th, 2018 at 3:46:15 PM permalink
I would be a seller of gas stations and electric utilities, lots of disruption in both of those spaces coming in the long term IMHO...I have owned STOR for a while and like some other REITS as well...it will be interesting to see how they perform in a rising interest rate environment that we are entering.
troopscott
troopscott
August 27th, 2018 at 3:49:33 PM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

I would be a seller of gas stations and electric utilities, lots of disruption in both of those spaces coming in the long term IMHO...I have owned STOR for a while and like some other REITS as well...it will be interesting to see how they perform in a rising interest rate environment that we are entering.

Not sure of disruptions in the gas station markets. I get utilities but not gas stations. That said I do own 445 shares of AEP with reinvesting dividends
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 493
August 27th, 2018 at 8:33:25 PM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

wait.. whats going on with electric utils?
(my retired mom owns $300k worth of Con Ed though employee stock purchase. she never sold)
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
troopscott
troopscott
August 28th, 2018 at 5:41:30 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

wait.. whats going on with electric utils?
(my retired mom owns $300k worth of Con Ed though employee stock purchase. she never sold)

I see two risks in utilities. Not sure of 100x odds thoughts.

1. Attack on electric grid would cause a drop in value because of a loss of confidence in them and upgrades additional security expenses etc

2. A Democrat being trump in 2020 would be disastrous because we would go back to Obama era regulations on power companies etc.

Gas stations and oil companies in the short term will be more immune from this. Big reason is the limited range for electric cars and the fact there is a whole infrastructure that will have to be built to support it
troopscott
troopscott
Thanks for this post from:
OnceDear
August 28th, 2018 at 7:45:24 AM permalink
When I was a state trooper some smart trooper along the way well before I was hired started an "Investment Club"

It started before I was hired by years but was open to new hires. The rule was (this is 1993) you put in $25 a pay period. Each time you invested you got a share or a percentage of a share based on current market value of the portfolio. (initial shares to start were sold at $5 each they said) They divided number of shares from previous meeting by market value and come up with a "share price". You were not allowed to withdraw until you left your job or retired at which point your shares were "sold" and you were given a nice retirement check so to speak if you started when you were hired (20 year retirement) This thing was legit with a corporation and tax id number etc.

You were assigned to a group when you joined and each group had to come back to the big group every two weeks with a stock you thought would be a good investment and almost do a presentation (people attended by phone) . So each two weeks there was 10 stocks brought to the groups attention and a vote was made on which to invest the funds into from contributions. If a super majority (7 of 10 groups) could not be had then there was a rotation of groups and whoever's groups turn it was picked the stock or had the option to roll over to the next pay period and combine the funds(this allowed each group to pick twice a year)
There was some good picks over the years. I retired in 2015 after 22 years. Over that time a few groups got together and colluded to spoil the majority for several pay periods in a row and had the money rolling over. When the 5th group picked they went all in on tesla with 12.5k or so at $25 a share (roughly may have been a little more or little less)

Facebook had similar collusion but had it was done by a larger group 7 of the 10 and they put in 17k+. Apple was bought at about 1.50 a share. it was the minimum because nobody wanted to go along with it so the group used its turn.

There were some duds as well one group picked a penny stock CMKX which may be one of the largest penny stock scams ever. We lost our roughly 2500 bucks when the SEC axed trading. Enron was owned but the group sold it before it completely collapsed though at a big loss and a few other losers. There were a couple other shots at penny stocks as well that missed and one that hit going from about 5 cents to a couple bucks. Don't remember the name but we sold it.

I put in 14.3 over 22 years and walked away with a little over 200k. I was lucky in the fact that Apple ran like crazy and had 3 splits. Tesla ran like crazy. Facebook made nice gains as well. I wish I was still involved because there was such a diverse group of minds and age groups that things like Apple got brought up by the younger groups that the older guys would have never invested in yet their was stability in the portfolio from the older guys picks such as utilities, oil and gas (which did well) and other bluechip stocks. As online brokerages etc came along they started reinvesting dividends.
Each month all the stocks were reviewed to see if anything needed to be sold and in other situations stocks could be sold if everyone agreed over the phone if situations like Enron happened.
Only real rules we had was a stock could not be bought a 2nd time if still owned without unanimous consent (which led to a few collusions so larger blocks could be bought (tesla)) which forced diversity, and no leaving until you retired or quit. You were in until the end and had to contribute or you lost your money already invested. This forced you to leave the money in for the reward at the end. If you were killed in the line of duty everyone lost so to speak because your spouse got 10% of the total portfolio which happened twice while I was in. The logic in the quit/retire thing also was it added to stability of the portfolio so people could be paid when they left so it could be planned for to liquidate some stocks if needed.

Last I heard they had about 200 people in now and had raised it to $50 a paycheck

Just to be clear this is not me trying to start an investment club at WOV though if someone (other than me) did I would participate.

Anyway I just thought I would share this because of the discussion of stocks everyone was suggesting here and how diverse they are. As someone who loves the stock market I have enjoyed reading and following this thread though it is a slow.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 101
December 5th, 2018 at 6:02:33 AM permalink
Did not do particularly well yesterday! But still up 40% from inception. Was up a max of 50%, so has fallen 7% since the peak. (Yes, math is correct!)

Of note, GLXZ is up around 600% from when I bought it. Unfortunately I only bought a small stake in it....
troopscott
troopscott
December 6th, 2018 at 5:19:49 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Did not do particularly well yesterday! But still up 40% from inception. Was up a max of 50%, so has fallen 7% since the peak. (Yes, math is correct!)

Of note, GLXZ is up around 600% from when I bought it. Unfortunately I only bought a small stake in it....

I have been putting some cash recently into seed stage and 2nd rounds of funding type companies. Trying to build a nice portfolio of them. Picked up some drug, and medical stuff, tech stuff (apps like uber but other industries) etc maybe I will hit a homerun with one. 500-1k investments. Couple a little higher but they are further along
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
December 6th, 2018 at 5:39:04 AM permalink
Quote: troopscott

I have been putting some cash recently into seed stage and 2nd rounds of funding type companies. Trying to build a nice portfolio of them. Picked up some drug, and medical stuff, tech stuff (apps like uber but other industries) etc maybe I will hit a homerun with one. 500-1k investments. Couple a little higher but they are further along

How are you making these investments? Generally pre-IPO/private equity investing is limited to venture capital firms and/or rich people (e.g. "accredited investors") investing tens of thousands minimum. I'm guessing you are using some app out there that has made this available to the plebes at low investment levels.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
troopscott
troopscott
December 6th, 2018 at 6:11:14 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

How are you making these investments? Generally pre-IPO/private equity investing is limited to venture capital firms and/or rich people (e.g. "accredited investors") investing tens of thousands minimum. I'm guessing you are using some app out there that has made this available to the plebes at low investment levels.

So I actually do meet the standard for an accredited investor. that being said I refuse to throw 25-50k into something speculative like that.

I use a few sites like wefunder.com
Here is the most recent company I invested in

https://wefunder.com/circlemedical

There are a few others out there

• Jump to: