odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
April 20th, 2010 at 2:58:25 AM permalink
Anybody else notice the media isn't even trying to pronounce, or even much use in print, the name of the Iceland Volcano that's active now? When it was the Philippines, you heard about "Pinatubo", but now it's just the "Iceland Volcano", not Eyjafjallajökull.

BTW the pronunciation provided here shows why, although I think it is manageable once you hear it, impossible otherwise.

edit: there is a suggestion in Wikipedia that Eyjafjallajökull may wind up being the name of the glacier and the volcano get another name, but so far Eyjafjallajökull seems to be sticking in whatever news stories will use a name.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 20th, 2010 at 4:03:49 AM permalink
The military is very practical about foreign names. An uninhabited island in the Northern Marianas that has been used as a bombing range for decades was named Farallon de Medinilla in 1520 when Magellan stopped by. The Navy uses the simple and practical name of FDM since it doesn't want to deal with the Spanish.

Their approach to the volcano (or the glacier) is to simply call it E-15 since the name is E followed by 15 letters. Another abbreviation is born.

You can purchase a popular book call DICNAVAB which is short for Dictionary of Naval Abbreviations. One of the rare times you will hear self depreciating humor from the military.
cclub79
cclub79
  • Threads: 35
April 20th, 2010 at 5:23:06 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Anybody else notice the media isn't even trying to pronounce, or even much use in print, the name of the Iceland Volcano that's active now? When it was the Philippines, you heard about "Pinatubo", but now it's just the "Iceland Volcano", not Eyjafjallajökull.

BTW the pronunciation provided here shows why, although I think it is manageable once you hear it, impossible otherwise.

edit: there is a suggestion in Wikipedia that Eyjafjallajökull may wind up being the name of the glacier and the volcano get another name, but so far Eyjafjallajökull seems to be sticking in whatever news stories will use a name.

Yes I noticed it and thought exactly what you did! Just "the Iceland Volcano" not its name because "it's too hard!".
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 20th, 2010 at 7:05:32 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Their approach to the volcano (or the glacier) is to simply call it E-15 since the name is E followed by 15 letters. Another abbreviation is born.

That sounds like a British highway.

I propose we re-name the volcano Saddam. Why? Because it has the ability to create a large no-fly zone around itself.

Now pardon me while I duck for cover.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
April 20th, 2010 at 8:21:14 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

That sounds like a British highway.

All our highways begin with M. So to me it sounds like a cross country US highway heading East. Or a post code based around the borough of Ealing in London.

Quote: Nareed

I propose we re-name the volcano Saddam. Why? Because it has the ability to create a large no-fly zone around itself.

Now pardon me while I duck for cover.

LMAO.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 20th, 2010 at 12:59:43 PM permalink
Quote: Croupier

All our highways begin with M.

Right! Well, it's been over 25 years since I last visited England.

Quote: Croupier

LMAO.

That's better than the alternative ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
  • Jump to: