Thread Rating:

Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
June 26th, 2013 at 10:42:44 PM permalink
Isn't it ironic that no company wants to touch Paula Deen now, yet a very visible organization like the NFL—and now ESPN—had no problems being associated with Ray Lewis (after the murder incident)?
Fighting BS one post at a time!
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 26th, 2013 at 11:14:19 PM permalink
The Paula Deen thread is on Diversity Tomorrow NOT on the gambling site.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
June 26th, 2013 at 11:18:38 PM permalink
I don't see any harm in posting about Paula Deen here in the Off-Topic thread, especially when there are a bunch of other non-gambling threads like gay marriage, the NFL, the Forbes list, Edward Snowden, etc.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
June 27th, 2013 at 3:18:49 AM permalink
This definitely does not fit the definition of irony.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
June 27th, 2013 at 3:25:02 AM permalink
Who cares if Ray murdered anyone? I need to know, no demand to know, if he's ever used the N word.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
June 27th, 2013 at 3:31:24 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Isn't it ironic that no company wants to touch Paula Deen now, yet a very visible organization like the NFL—and now ESPN—had no problems being associated with Ray Lewis (after the murder incident)?

Words today are worse than actions--didn't you see the NFL thread? It is worse to say a QB is not as good as the media says he is but kill dogs or shoot yourself in a bar you have no problem.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
June 27th, 2013 at 6:42:07 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

This definitely does not fit the definition of irony.

Definition #5 of 'irony' from Dictionary.com:

Quote: Dictionary.com

i·ro·ny - an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected

I think the outcome of the Paula Deen incident is most definitely contrary to what was expected considering what happened to Lewis.
FinsRule
FinsRule
June 27th, 2013 at 6:46:36 AM permalink

I think the outcome of the Paula Deen incident is most definitely contrary to what was expected considering what happened to Lewis.

Quote: Dictionary.com

i·ro·ny - an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected

I disagree with your statement, and I know that anyone that understands the definition of irony, agrees with me. This would be ironic, I think:

Paula Deen kills Ray Lewis, and then becomes a commentator for ESPN, taking his place.

The irony thing confuses me, but I know Ode to Joy has it wrong. Any one else care to weigh in?
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
June 27th, 2013 at 6:49:14 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

It is worse to say a QB is not as good as the media says he is but kill dogs or shoot yourself in a bar you have no problem.

Ah, I totally forgot about the whole Rush Limbaugh ordeal! The NFL is a complete joke. (I guess, in their defense, there are many other organizations that are jokes as well.)

I just find it so ridiculous how liberals get their panties all ruffled when people like Deen & Limbaugh say something "wrong", yet if you commit a crime it's all good.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
June 27th, 2013 at 6:53:00 AM permalink

I disagree with your statement, and I know that anyone that understands the definition of irony, agrees with me. This would be ironic, I think:

Paula Deen kills Ray Lewis, and then becomes a commentator for ESPN, taking his place.

The irony thing confuses me, but I know Ode to Joy has it wrong. Any one else care to weigh in?

Here's what I said: "Isn't it ironic that no company wants to touch Paula Deen now...?" And then I went on to mention the Ray Lewis thing.

Then again, I guess it's not ironic if you feel that the treatment of Deen is justified. (BTW, Dictionary.com is a pretty reliable source for definitions.)
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
June 27th, 2013 at 7:03:46 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
June 27th, 2013 at 7:12:33 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Caesars is shuting down or taking her name off the buffet at Horseshoe Southern Indiana.

Geez, so ridiculous. *facepalm*

Hell, she would have been better off dealing drugs. (50 Cent, Tim Allen, etc.)
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
June 27th, 2013 at 7:52:12 AM permalink
So the correct answer would be to lie during deposition.
FinsRule
FinsRule
June 27th, 2013 at 8:00:13 AM permalink

Geez, so ridiculous. *facepalm*

Hell, she would have been better off dealing drugs. (50 Cent, Tim Allen, etc.)

Why is it ridiculous? Caesars has decided that they will make more money with her name off the buffet than on it.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
June 27th, 2013 at 8:04:15 AM permalink

Why is it ridiculous? Caesars has decided that they will make more money with her name off the buffet than on it.

Exactly. It's ridiculous that companies will try making money off of criminals, yet they'll stop trying when it comes to people who utter "bad" words.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
June 27th, 2013 at 8:04:58 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
FinsRule
FinsRule
June 27th, 2013 at 8:14:02 AM permalink

Exactly. It's ridiculous that companies will try making money off of criminals, yet they'll stop trying when it comes to people who utter "bad" words.

ESPN employs Ray Lewis because people don't care enough to boycott him. You're blaming the wrong part of the equation.

Either way, it's not ironic :)
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
June 27th, 2013 at 8:17:00 AM permalink

ESPN employs Ray Lewis because people don't care enough to boycott him. You're blaming the wrong part of the equation.

Perhaps I missed the big boycott against Paula Deen? Links, please.

Either way, it's not ironic :)

According to definition #5 on Dictionary.com, it is. ;)

(That is, unless one agrees with the treatment of her)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 27th, 2013 at 8:19:31 AM permalink
Quote: Sabretom2

So the correct answer would be to lie during deposition.

Why not, as long as it is "your personal life" and they haven't defined "is."
FinsRule
FinsRule
June 27th, 2013 at 8:31:30 AM permalink

Perhaps I missed the big boycott against Paula Deen? Links, please.

According to definition #5 on Dictionary.com, it is. ;)

(That is, unless one agrees with the treatment of her)

I'm not sure if my dislike of Paula Deen is clouding whether or not I think it's fair. But I'm happy that this is happening to her.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
June 27th, 2013 at 8:34:57 AM permalink

I'm not sure if my dislike of Paula Deen is clouding whether or not I think it's fair. But I'm happy that this is happening to her.

OK, so you agree with the treatment she has received. I can see why you find no irony here.
(For the record, I actually don't like her either)
FinsRule
FinsRule
June 27th, 2013 at 8:45:55 AM permalink
I agree with the treatment she has received, and I think Ray Lewis should probably be in jail or at least had served some serious time.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
June 27th, 2013 at 11:15:40 AM permalink

Wait. No. Not exactly. Your logic is flawed. Horseshoe has determined that they'll make less money with Ms. Deen's name on the buffet than with her name off it. It's not that they don't want to make money using her name, it's that they think her name is costing them money. That's a byproduct of the stupidity of society. The corporation is reacting to, not causing, the idiocy in this case.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
June 27th, 2013 at 11:22:15 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Wait. No. Not exactly. Your logic is flawed. Horseshoe has determined that they'll make less money with Ms. Deen's name on the buffet than with her name off it. It's not that they don't want to make money using her name, it's that they think her name is costing them money. That's a byproduct of the stupidity of society. The corporation is reacting to, not causing, the idiocy in this case.

The buffet -assumes- that it will make less money. It might not. Who really knows?

The corporation might be stupid, the people might be, or the whole darn world might be making stupid assumptions.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
June 27th, 2013 at 11:52:18 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

The corporation might be stupid, the people might be, or the whole darn world might be making stupid assumptions.

Everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people. So meet me at the mission at midnight. We'll divvy up there...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
FinsRule
FinsRule
June 27th, 2013 at 12:40:07 PM permalink

Everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people. So meet me at the mission at midnight. We'll divvy up there...

It was midnight in the Mission, and the bell(e)s were not for me...
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
June 27th, 2013 at 12:47:41 PM permalink

It was midnight in the Mission, and the bell(e)s were not for me...

Well played!
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
June 27th, 2013 at 12:56:30 PM permalink

Wait. No. Not exactly. Your logic is flawed. Horseshoe has determined that they'll make less money with Ms. Deen's name on the buffet than with her name off it.

The only problem with this explanation is that it wasn't the explanation that was given. The "outrage" is all media-driven. Nobody's out there boycotting Paula Deen or even advocating a boycott. Liberals are just being bullies..........again.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
June 27th, 2013 at 12:58:42 PM permalink
I cringe when she appears on the Food Network.
She sounds so phoney with that gushy mush mouth
Southern accent that she plays to the hilt.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
June 27th, 2013 at 1:00:38 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I cringe when she appears on the Food Network.
She sounds so phoney with that gushy mush mouth
Southern accent that she plays to the hilt.

I've never cared for her, either. In fact, I always turn the station whenever she comes on. I do kinda feel sorry for her though.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
June 27th, 2013 at 1:07:04 PM permalink

Nobody's out there boycotting Paula Deen or even advocating a boycott.

I would argue that the corporations who were formerly associated with her are the ones who are most likely to be seen as organizing a boycott of Ms. Deen.

Liberals are just being bullies..........again.

Isn't this a group of conservatives who are doing the bullying? Caesars, Macy's, Smithfield...which of those companies is controlled by liberals?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 27th, 2013 at 1:18:54 PM permalink

Isn't this a group of conservatives who are doing the bullying? Caesars, Macy's, Smithfield...which of those companies is controlled by liberals?

Conservatives control these companies? Where do you get that idea? I have never heard of this. They are publicly traded companies, most "conservative" companies are privately held (eg: Chick-Fil-A, Hobby Lobby.)
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
June 27th, 2013 at 1:20:35 PM permalink

I would argue that the corporations who were formerly associated with her are the ones who are most likely to be seen as organizing a boycott of Ms. Deen.

So they're dropping her because of a boycott...which is being organized by themselves? OK...

I certainly don't see any conservatives whining about her. Only liberals. The same type who whined about Rush Limbaugh after he expressed interest in becoming an NFL owner.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
June 27th, 2013 at 1:27:27 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Conservatives control these companies? Where do you get that idea? I have never heard of this. They are publicly traded companies, most "conservative" companies are privately held (eg: Chick-Fil-A, Hobby Lobby.)

So, you wouldn't call Google or Oracle a liberal-controlled company? You would, you have, and you know it.

And I'm not really sure how you think public corporations work, but the officers and the board have all the power. Shareholders certainly didn't vote on whether or not to remove Ms. Deen's name from the buffet at HSI...
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 27th, 2013 at 1:29:43 PM permalink

So, you wouldn't call Google or Oracle a liberal-controlled company? You would, you have, and you know it.

And I'm not really sure how you think public corporations work, but the officers and the board have all the power. Shareholders certainly didn't vote on whether or not to remove Ms. Deen's name from the buffet at HSI...

Google makes no bones about being liberal, but what I want to know is what behavior of the aforesaid companies makes you say they are controlled by conservatives?
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
June 27th, 2013 at 2:02:30 PM permalink

Oh, yeah. College rock baby!
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
June 27th, 2013 at 2:43:39 PM permalink
I don't get the whole conservative liberal comparison. If you're selling a boner pill, you don't worry about what Nuns think about it.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
June 27th, 2013 at 3:08:00 PM permalink
So much for the "outrage" against Paula Deen: Paula Deen Surges Past 'Game of Thrones' to Top Spot on Amazon LOL!!
  • Jump to: