MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
December 11th, 2012 at 10:50:34 AM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

A lot of women have to use their sick days when they aren't sick but one of their children is and has to stay home from school/daycare. So there is a precedent for using those days when you yourself aren't sick.

Why are you limiting this to women? Men also miss time for child illness. And in many companies, this is a valid use of a sick day, which is in my opinion another reason to go to PTO, so that there is equity among employees regardless if they have kids.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 125
December 11th, 2012 at 10:53:40 AM permalink

A lot of women have to use their sick days when they aren't sick but one of their children is and has to stay home from school/daycare. So there is a precedent for using those days when you yourself aren't sick. My husband misses a bunch of Monday mornings because he travels on the weekend but he is self-employed and has set up his schedule so that those are flexible and he's not on salary anyway.

Too many people live to work and not work to live. But if your boss says knock it off I guess you have to.

Whoa whoa whoa? Only women have to use sick days when they aren't sick, but their children are?

Besides the stereotyping, your child being sick is a valid use of sick time.

Employers are generally pretty lenient on this type of stuff, but the people who push the boundaries on every issue are usually the first to go when cuts are made...
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
December 11th, 2012 at 10:55:52 AM permalink
I only mentioned women because I am one, and also I hadn't seen it previously addressed in the thread. But there is a precedence for taking a sick day when you yourself aren't sick, and that's what the boss was objecting to.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
  • Threads: 89
December 11th, 2012 at 11:01:16 AM permalink

A lot of women have to use their sick days when they aren't sick but one of their children is and has to stay home from school/daycare. So there is a precedent for using those days when you yourself aren't sick. My husband misses a bunch of Monday mornings because he travels on the weekend but he is self-employed and has set up his schedule so that those are flexible and he's not on salary anyway.

Too many people live to work and not work to live. But if your boss says knock it off I guess you have to.

Well spoken, and thanks for adding your womanly perspective :)
And Doc...i work in a sick-filled environment...
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
December 11th, 2012 at 11:03:29 AM permalink

But there is a precedence for taking a sick day when you yourself aren't sick, and that's what the boss was objecting to.

True, but the OP didn't mention his boss objecting to the use of sick days to care for ill children. I agree there are exceptions, in some companies you can use sick time for routine doctor appointments. In all cases, the company would be well advised to have the rules documented and available to employees.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
December 11th, 2012 at 11:06:55 AM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP

True, but the OP didn't mention his boss objecting to the use of sick days to care for ill children. I agree there are exceptions, in some companies you can use sick time for routine doctor appointments. In all cases, the company would be well advised to have the rules documented and available to employees.

I think they need to have the rules documented if they don't wish for someone to interpret 22 days off as 22 days off as TIMSPEED has!
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
  • Threads: 89
December 11th, 2012 at 11:16:33 AM permalink

I think they need to have the rules documented if they don't wish for someone to interpret 22 days off as 22 days off as TIMSPEED has!

Correct!
The contract simply says "sick leave"
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 115
December 11th, 2012 at 11:20:58 AM permalink
I work in a small group of partner physicians. If a partner calls in sick another partner who was supposed to be off has to work. Over my 9 years here we average well under one sick day per person per year, if I can exclude a single long term disability for a partner who underwent open heart surgery. I remember calling in sick two days in my 25 year career, and missing one week for knee surgery. I have a ton of sick days accumulated, and will get some sort of pension credit, worth far less than an actual day of work, when I eventually retire. No cash value for the days. I just couldn't imagine looking my partners in the face after calling in sick, having someone else have to do my work, if I wasn't really sick.
Tim- I understand your thoughts, but if they wanted you to use all those days 'no matter what', they wouldn't call them sick days! And I don't know what your career goals are, but right or wrong, your behavior has been noticed by your bosses and I can't imagine it is good for you.
steeldco
steeldco
  • Threads: 52
December 11th, 2012 at 11:43:15 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I work in a small group of partner physicians. If a partner calls in sick another partner who was supposed to be off has to work. Over my 9 years here we average well under one sick day per person per year, if I can exclude a single long term disability for a partner who underwent open heart surgery. I remember calling in sick two days in my 25 year career, and missing one week for knee surgery. I have a ton of sick days accumulated, and will get some sort of pension credit, worth far less than an actual day of work, when I eventually retire. No cash value for the days. I just couldn't imagine looking my partners in the face after calling in sick, having someone else have to do my work, if I wasn't really sick.
Tim- I understand your thoughts, but if they wanted you to use all those days 'no matter what', they wouldn't call them sick days! And I don't know what your career goals are, but right or wrong, your behavior has been noticed by your bosses and I can't imagine it is good for you.

Soopoo, so I guess that Tim should entitled to a similar compensation package as yourself since you are trying to equate the two positions?
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
December 11th, 2012 at 11:48:41 AM permalink
Quote: steeldco

Soopoo, so I guess that Tim should entitled to a similar compensation package as yourself since you are trying to equate the two positions?

Soopoo is more than equiped to defend himself, but I agree with his point regardless profession. When someone calls in sick, it puts a burden on others who do not call in sick. Therefore to use the company provided benefit of paid sick days should only be done when one is to sick to work (or other covered reason).

• Jump to: