buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
September 19th, 2012 at 12:14:14 PM permalink
I am starting to wonder. I mean many years ago an Australian beauty offered to post me a view. I told her not to bother as I thought it had something with the trouble we were working on. Her name was Angel and only later did I find out I had turned down her offer to mail me a picture. Most likely in a bikini I found out too late and much to my regret.

Fast forward to the upcoming G2E WOV dinner. Switch had said if we could not find a snooker table, he always like playing "pool"
Now in English, I found that surprising. I mean from snooker to just plain old pool. 8 or 9 ball, even on a 4 by 8 instead of a bar
table, what a letdown compared to snooker.

While looking up snooker rules I found this English foreign language translation for pool.

Rules

Pool table with balls placed in their starting positions.

There are two competing standards bodies that have issued international rules. The older, and currently dominant, of the two sets in British-style pool are the World Eight-ball Pool Federation (WEPF) rules (often called "World Rules").[7] The majority of WEPF members come from the UK and Ireland, and from current and former Commonwealth of Nations countries, plus Belgium.

A competing but very similar set of rules has been promulgated by the World Pool-Billiard Association (WPA), under the game name "blackball" to better distinguish it from the American-style game (for which WPA also promulgates rules),.[5] It was intended that "blackball" would unify the various existing British-style rulesets (presumably also including the WEPF rules) although this has not yet happened. The self-described "governing body" for WPA blackball in Europe, with numerous national and local affiliate groups, is the European Blackball Association (EBA).

Pool = "Blackball" WTF * I have been blackballed more than once, but not on a pool table.

WTF*

* Attention secret moderators. WTF = Welcome to Fruita and I have documentation or just google
" WTF? That's Welcome to Fruita ! "
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
September 19th, 2012 at 12:21:51 PM permalink
"Blackball" is, of course, "8-ball"; outside of the USA, they appear to use seven red, seven yellow, and one black ball in the rack. In fact, I remember a copy of the BPA rules from the early 1980s that had a picture of this form of the game on its cover, so presumably it has been used in the USA as well.

I remember watching a Canadian TV show from the 1970s where "pool" was used to describe snooker.

The problem with "pool" is, it can mean any number of games. 8-ball? 9-ball? Most balls in one rack? 14.1 Continuous?

What I want to know is, what does the article consider "the American-style game"?
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
September 19th, 2012 at 12:26:58 PM permalink
Australian English ::: American English

Boot ............................. Trunk of car
Capsicum ...................... Green Bell Pepper
Sheila ......................... Broad

As to pool rules... In England, Ireland and Australia ... you have to sink only your own color.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 19th, 2012 at 12:30:12 PM permalink
I only played snooker once. Beat the guy handily but I turned down an offer to play for money. I had no idea what the rules were.
LOL

Wikipedia has all sorts of rules for blackball. I can't post a link, computer illiterate. But this so called standardization to the lengthly rules says it all. LOL

Blackball rules are very similar to the WEPF World Rules. One notable difference is that after a fault, the incoming player has a free shot (i.e., may take the cue ball in position or in-hand in baulk; the "wrong ball first" rule is suspended) and also has next visit (continues playing even if no ball or opponent's ball is potted on the free shot).
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
September 19th, 2012 at 12:45:04 PM permalink
I learned that Billiards was the parent family, covering the games of Snooker, Pool, and lesser known games like Bumper Pool. Pool covers all the games played with bigger balls on a smaller table, including 8 ball, 9 ball, 14.1, etc.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
September 19th, 2012 at 2:03:44 PM permalink
Nope, American is a foreign language :)

8-ball pool is what I played in the bars (badly). Red/Yellow balls with a single black 8-ball. Sink your colour and the black ball before your opponent. I've never heard it called blackball... just "pool". Occasionally you'd get a spots/stripes table.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 19th, 2012 at 2:25:12 PM permalink
" Occasionally you'd get a spots/stripes table. " 8 ball, I assume EH
thecesspit
thecesspit
September 19th, 2012 at 2:30:58 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

" Occasionally you'd get a spots/stripes table. " 8 ball, I assume EH

Yep, still 8-ball, just different coloured balls. At least we played it with the same rules. Except when I played the best guy in our group, when he'd have to pot the balls in numerical order and I didn't. Was still a trouncing, but at least I got to the table a couple of times.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 19th, 2012 at 2:34:49 PM permalink
Gee, did nobody ever teach you how to play safe ? LOL

And why the hell do you call the bridge, a spider !
thecesspit
thecesspit
September 19th, 2012 at 2:36:30 PM permalink
The only reason I ever kept it close was I wasn't too bad at the safety shot. I was bloody awful at the "put the ball in the rpocket" shot.
progrocker
progrocker
  • Threads: 4
September 19th, 2012 at 2:39:18 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Nope, American is a foreign language :)

my face when americans call chips "french fries"

my face when americans call crisps "chips"

my face when americans call chocolate globbernaughts "candy bars"

my face when americans call motorized rollinghams "cars"

my face when americans call merry fizzlebombs "fireworks"

my face when americans call wunderbahboxes a "PC"

my face when americans call meat water "gravy"

my face when americans call electro-rope "power cables"

my face when americans call beef wellington ensemble with lettuce a "burger"

my face when americans call whimsy flimsy mark and scribblers "pens"

my face when americans call twisting plankhandles "doorknobs"

my face when americans call cold on the cob "popsicles"

my face when americans call breaddy stacks a "sandwich"

my face when americans call their hoighty toighty tippy typers "keyboards"

my face when americans call nutty-gum and fruit spleggings "peanut butter and jelly"

my face when americans call an upsy stairsy the "escalator"

my face when americans call Montezuma's Revenge "Water"

my face when americans call forcey fun time "rape"

my face when americans call a knittedy wittedy sheepity sleepity a "sweater"

my face when americans call a rickedy-pop a "gear shift"

my face when americans call a choco chip bucky wicky as a "cookie"

my face when americans call peepee friction pleasure "sex"

my face when americans call a pip pip gollywock a "screwdriver"

my face when americans call a rooty tooty point-n-shooty a "gun"

my face when americans call ceiling-bright a "Lightbulb"

my face when americans call blimpy bounce bounce a "ball"

my face when americans call a slippery dippery long mover a "snake"

my face when americans call cobble-stone-clippity-clops "roads"
Solo venimos, solo nos vamos. Y aqui nos juntamos, juntos que estamos.
Switch
Switch
  • Threads: 12
September 19th, 2012 at 3:14:46 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

And why the hell do you call the bridge, a spider !

The 'Spider' is a 'rest' with a higher bridge, used when the cue ball is touching, or close to, another ball, so that you can cue over the ball and make contact with the cue ball.
  • Jump to: