Thread Rating:

MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
September 7th, 2012 at 1:43:32 AM permalink
Fact check: President Obama lays claim to peace dividend that doesn't exist during DNC speech

Read more

More fun fact checking from Associated Press

Yet more fact checking with the Washington Post
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
September 7th, 2012 at 6:13:43 AM permalink
Quote: MonkeyMonkey

Fact check: President Obama lays claim to peace dividend that doesn't exist during DNC speech

Read more

I can't wait to see the responses to these articles. They are actually worse for President Obama than I thought they would be...
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
September 7th, 2012 at 6:40:35 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

Quote: MonkeyMonkey

Read more

I can't wait to see the responses to these articles. They are actually worse for President Obama than I thought they would be...

Yeah, but didn't someone on the board say something about Bin Laden still being dead?

BTW: 4 times as many people quit looking for jobs last month than new jobs were created. How long until one person working supports the entire nation? Any math guys here want to do a "fun" projection assuming no dynamics?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 7th, 2012 at 7:03:27 AM permalink
People correctly criticize Obama for promising much yet delivering little.

Fair enough; Mel Brooks may have said "It's good to be the King!", but it's a damned tough act to pull off successfully.

Romney is a cold fish: a wooden, somewhat out of touch rich kid; he seems not to have a clear plan.

For him to succeed, he'll need to surround himself with capable people, learn to lead and hope for luck.

To me, neither is optimal, or really palatable.

As a people we really should offer up better candidates than this.

Bah.
"What, me worry?"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 7th, 2012 at 7:18:15 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

To me, neither is optimal, or really palatable.

As a people we really should offer up better candidates than this.

Bah.

If you have ever had to hire someone to fill a job you know that after you make your dram-list of qualifications in the end you have to hire who walks in and applys. This is true from a person who mops the floor right up to POTUS.

I think Romney has good leadership expedrience and knows how to lead a team. Obama never had to do anything but campaign, which is why we see the results we are seeing.
TheBigPaybak
TheBigPaybak
  • Threads: 14
September 7th, 2012 at 7:20:26 AM permalink

Romney ...somewhat out of touch rich kid; .

This is definitely the impression a fair number of people have of him- whether it's really true or not is debatable but not the point of my question- which is: why does that matter to people? Is the thinking that he has to have experienced certain problems in order to spearhead productive policy changes? Or that if he "isn't one of us" then he "won't give us free stuff?" Frankly, I want someone who's not the average Joe or Jane, for that matter- and I could care less if they relate to me. But I do care about solving the country's unemployment and debt problems and the state of the economy. Is being rich a negative toward doing those things?
Lack of prior planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 7th, 2012 at 7:22:55 AM permalink
Quote: TheBigPaybak

This is definitely the impression a fair number of people have of him- whether it's really true or not is debatable but not the point of my question- which is: why does that matter to people? Is the thinking that he has to have experienced certain problems in order to spearhead productive policy changes? Or that if he "isn't one of us" then he "won't give us free stuff?" Frankly, I want someone who's not the average Joe or Jane, for that matter- and I could care less if they relate to me. But I do care about solving the country's unemployment and debt problems and the state of the economy. Is being rich a negative toward doing those things?

What I do not get is you keep hearing Obama brag about how much money he has and makes (Hilary and other Dems as well) yet they are not thought of as "out of touch rich guys (gals.)"

Why is this?
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
September 7th, 2012 at 7:31:22 AM permalink
Because they aren't out of touch, just rich
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
TheBigPaybak
TheBigPaybak
September 7th, 2012 at 7:35:23 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

What I do not get is you keep hearing Obama brag about how much money he has and makes (Hilary and other Dems as well) yet they are not thought of as "out of touch rich guys (gals.)"

Why is this?

There seems to be a threshold after which point, you're "too rich"- unless you're someone like Warren Buffet but you get the picture...

In the top-ten wealthiest of Congress, 7 are Democrats. Kerry's loaded. Pelosi's loaded. And I don't care that they are, but man, what a double-standard...
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
September 7th, 2012 at 7:45:09 AM permalink
When you tell a person whose home is flooded from hurricane Isaac to go home and call 211 for help, that promotes the belief that you're out of touch. When you tell NASCAR fans in clear plastic rain gear that it looks like they sure spent a fortune on their rain gear, it makes you look a bit out if touch. I could go on.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 7th, 2012 at 7:54:03 AM permalink
Out of touch or not, rich or not, what really matters is one's leadership ability.

History will judge Reagan and Clinton as successful; Bush-lite and Carter as failures, primarily for this reason.

Sad thing is, we'll never know who can rise to fill the office until they're elected and installed.
"What, me worry?"
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
September 7th, 2012 at 7:55:08 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

When you tell a person whose home is flooded from hurricane Isaac to go home and call 211 for help, that promotes the belief that you're out of touch. When you tell NASCAR fans in clear plastic rain gear that it looks like they sure spent a fortune on their rain gear, it makes you look a bit out if touch. I could go on.

I'm lucky to be a stay-at-home mom, and it is hard work as Anne Romney said.

Just try doing it AND going out to a paying job as well. Arranging and paying for child care, missing baseball games and school events, etc. That's the reality for most women.

Plus telling people to start a business by borrowing money from your parents? How about paying for your parents' condo fees as well as your own expenses is more like it.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 7th, 2012 at 8:02:50 AM permalink
Quote: WongBo

Because they aren't out of touch, just rich

So you are saying the ones who never held a job in the real world are not out of touch but the one who spent most of his private life there; meeting payrolls while building and saving companies somehow is out of touch?
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
September 7th, 2012 at 8:03:03 AM permalink
One of my favorites: When you hire a lobbyist to secure permits for your car elevator at your proposed 11,000 square foot beachfront mansion in La Jolla for your wife's Cadillac(s), that may help promote the myth that you're out of touch.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
WongBo
WongBo
September 7th, 2012 at 8:08:43 AM permalink
AZ, you can stop putting words in my mouth, thanks.
All I said is that the two people you mentioned are not "out of touch".
I didn't make any comment about your beloved Willard.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 7th, 2012 at 8:12:57 AM permalink

Lets do! I'll blatantly plagarize Jeff Foxworthy.......

If you tell a guy who wants to start a business that he needs to spread the wealth around, you might be out of touch......

If you go to a church where the reverand says, "Not God Bless Americs, God (deleted) America!" loud and proud, you might be out of touch

If you tell people they didn't build their business, someone else did that, you might be out of touch

If you think the leading issues for women are free abortions and birth control, you might be out of touch

If you think tax increases spur the economy, you might be out of touch

If you think the private sector is doing well in a period of >8% unemployment, you might be out of touch

If you cannot remember that you are a Christian instead of a Muslim in a TV interview, you might be out of touch

If you tell the people you have to negotiate with to "sit in the back of the bus" then call them obstructionists, you might be out of touch

If you think people can survive without an ID in the USA, you might be out of touch

Anyone, feel free to add to it.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 7th, 2012 at 8:16:42 AM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

I'm lucky to be a stay-at-home mom, and it is hard work as Anne Romney said.

Just try doing it AND going out to a paying job as well. Arranging and paying for child care, missing baseball games and school events, etc. That's the reality for most women.

Simple answer here--live smaller. Go back to the size houses we had pre-1980s. Have one family car, used, not two. Vacation close to home, not at Disneyworld. Kids share rooms. Few organized kids activities, learn to play in the neighborhood.

Oh, and avoid divorce and out-of-wedlock births. Both destroy you economically.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 7th, 2012 at 8:18:44 AM permalink

AZ, you can stop putting words in my mouth, thanks.
All I said is that the two people you mentioned are not "out of touch".
I didn't make any comment about your beloved Willard.

Not meaning to imply you did, just questioning why rich=out of touch and why being rich is somehow implied to be a bad thing.
WongBo
WongBo
September 7th, 2012 at 8:27:57 AM permalink
I think that the theory is that if you become rich after rising from humble beginnings,
You have a better ability to relate to those in the lower sociology-economic strata,
Than someone born into wealth and privilege.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
September 7th, 2012 at 8:34:58 AM permalink

Simple answer here--live smaller. Go back to the size houses we had pre-1980s. Have one family car, used, not two. Vacation close to home, not at Disneyworld. Kids share rooms. Few organized kids activities, learn to play in the neighborhood.

Oh, and avoid divorce and out-of-wedlock births. Both destroy you economically.

I'll be sure to tell my b-i-l to live even smaller so his wife can stay home. Or maybe he can take a second job so she doesn't have to work! I sure cops on the night shift have plenty of free time to work during the day!
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
TheBigPaybak
TheBigPaybak
September 7th, 2012 at 8:39:10 AM permalink

I think that the theory is that if you become rich after rising from humble beginnings,
You have a better ability to relate to those in the lower sociology-economic strata,

Obviously he could not help that he was born into a wealthy family- although it's been widely reported that Romney gave away his inheritance. Frankly if I was in his position, I wouldn't have done that- as I suspect most people wouldn't have. But he did. Again, my question is, why does all of this "relating" matter? Heaven forbid, if I needed heart surgery, I couldn't care less if I could relate to the surgeon- but I would care if he/she could get the job done.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
September 7th, 2012 at 8:42:41 AM permalink
I'm still waiting to see a list of election promises that will be broken by both sides, rather than sniping of whose in touch....
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
September 7th, 2012 at 8:45:25 AM permalink
When you play over 100 rounds of golf in less than four years while presiding over an economy with >8% unemployment and huge numbers of people dropping off unemployment into another category (not becoming employed; becoming discouraged workers), you might be out of touch...

Seriously...if you think EITHER one of the two candidates is "IN TOUCH" you are out of touch yourself.

This isn't about being "in touch"; it is about who will do the best job leading us moving forward.

It isn't about tax returns or birth certificates or individual wealth.

You may like one or the other candidate based on where they want to take us and you may have an opinion about their leadership abilities. Just don't let yourself become sidetracked in the bullcrap about "in touch" or "birth certificates"...that is just one side trying to say "Don't look at me...look at them"....
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
September 7th, 2012 at 8:49:18 AM permalink

Keep in mind that when Mitt was living in France converting the French to Mormonism, he had to sell off some of his father's stock portfolio to make ends meet! Life was hard!
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
September 7th, 2012 at 8:54:23 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

When you play over 100 rounds of golf in less than four years while presiding over an economy with >8% unemployment and huge numbers of people dropping off unemployment into another category (not becoming employed; becoming discouraged workers), you might be out of touch...

Seriously...if you think EITHER one of the two candidates is "IN TOUCH" you are out of touch yourself.

This isn't about being "in touch"; it is about who will do the best job leading us moving forward.

It isn't about tax returns or birth certificates or individual wealth.

You may like one or the other candidate based on where they want to take us and you may have an opinion about their leadership abilities. Just don't let yourself become sidetracked in the bullcrap about "in touch" or "birth certificates"...that is just one side trying to say "Don't look at me...look at them"....

I was okay with the amount of vacations Bush took during the various crisis that occurred while he was in office, just as I am okay with Obama playing a round of golf every other week.

I read something that said Obama actually spends time with his family instead of at meaningless "networking" type events. Some are horrified at that, I like it.

"Obama doesn't have time to fill out an NCAA bracket, he needs to fix the economy!" Doesn't matter who is in the White House, I'm okay with them spending 30 minutes filling out a bracket.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 7th, 2012 at 8:55:59 AM permalink

One of my favorites: When you hire a lobbyist to secure permits for your car elevator at your proposed 11,000 square foot beachfront mansion in La Jolla for your wife's Cadillac(s), that may help promote the myth that you're out of touch.

So having a hard time getting a building permit makes you out of touch?
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
September 7th, 2012 at 9:42:06 AM permalink

So having a hard time getting a building permit makes you out of touch?

No, of course not! Why would anyone think that hiring a lobbyist to secure permits for your car elevator at your proposed 11,000 square foot beachfront mansion vacation home in La Jolla for your wife's Cadillac(s) is anything but commonplace. Heck, just last week, I had to hire a lobbyist to get a certificate of occup.. oh wait, I did that myself.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 7th, 2012 at 10:03:00 AM permalink

No, of course not! Why would anyone think that hiring a lobbyist to secure permits for your car elevator at your proposed 11,000 square foot beachfront mansion vacation home in La Jolla for your wife's Cadillac(s) is anything but commonplace. Heck, just last week, I had to hire a lobbyist to get a certificate of occup.. oh wait, I did that myself.

I still don't get it. This upsets you why?

Yet Obama keeps bragging about how much money he makes but that is ok?
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
September 7th, 2012 at 10:14:17 AM permalink

Why does that upset you? You seem apoplectic and irrational about all of the money that Obama brags about making. Why do you hate wealth and success?
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
September 7th, 2012 at 10:14:29 AM permalink

What quotes of Obama are you referring to?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 7th, 2012 at 10:32:46 AM permalink

Why does that upset you? You seem apoplectic and irrational about all of the money that Obama brags about making. Why do you hate wealth and success?

I don't mind wealth and success at all. I don't like listening to people brag about how much money they have and make. That is just low class.
rxwine
rxwine
September 7th, 2012 at 11:42:24 AM permalink
Well, nothing came up about Obama bragging about how much money he makes when I googled it.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 7th, 2012 at 11:43:39 AM permalink

Romney is a cold fish: a wooden, somewhat out of touch

People keep saying that, yet how come I never
see it? Obama is the one with a stick up his butt,
always tilting his head so he's looking down on
people, aloof, stand offish. I don't get that in
Romney at all.

Its the media trying to do a Bush on him. They
said Bush was stupid, when the opposite was true.
People who met Bush, especially Dem's, always
came away amazed at how informed Bush was
on all the major topics. He was an encyclopedia
of info, rarley used notes. Even had facts and
figures right. Nobody could keep up with him. Yet
the media said he was stupid.

So if they keep saying Romney is wooden, even when
he obviously isn't, we're all just supposed to believe
it. Obama is the one nobody can get close to, not
even his own staff.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
September 7th, 2012 at 11:46:00 AM permalink
Bob, you can only see it if you are wearing Mormon magic underwear.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 7th, 2012 at 12:05:00 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Well, nothing came up about Obama bragging about how much money he makes when I googled it.

I guess you never listened to him talk. How many times has he said
he doesn't need a tax cut; republicans want "to cut taxes for people like me (him) who don't need them, and any other varriation?

That is bragging about how much money you make/have.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 7th, 2012 at 12:07:13 PM permalink
" republicans want "to cut taxes for people like me (him) who don't need them,"

Now I am confused. Doesn't Mitt want to cut taxes for everybody ?
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
September 7th, 2012 at 12:31:43 PM permalink
Out of touch Mitt quote of the day:
Quote: Willard Mitt Romney

When you give a speech you don't go through a laundry list, you talk about the things you think are important.

.. when asked by Fox News why he didn't mention the troops in his acceptance speech.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 7th, 2012 at 12:52:15 PM permalink
That's understandable. He was up late the night before shopping for a new shirt at Costco.
rxwine
rxwine
September 7th, 2012 at 1:07:42 PM permalink

I guess you never listened to him talk. How many times has he said
he doesn't need a tax cut; republicans want "to cut taxes for people like me (him) who don't need them, and any other varriation?

That is bragging about how much money you make/have.

Oh, that's why it didn't show up. The other 25 million people on the Internet who might even care wouldn't know that was bragging as opposed to an illustration of principle.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 7th, 2012 at 4:31:59 PM permalink

Oh, that's why it didn't show up. The other 25 million people on the Internet who might even care wouldn't know that was bragging as opposed to an illustration of principle.

Not quite sure what principle hi might be trying to illustrate.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 7th, 2012 at 5:41:13 PM permalink
Even the Dem pundits are giving Obama's speech
a neg vote. Some of the conservitive pundits are
thinking that the Left is throwing Obama under the
bus to save their ideology. If they continue to let
Obama trash it, they'll never get another president
elected for 12 years. The job numbers today were
killers, so many people out of work and so few jobs
created, and all Obama can talk about is raising taxes
on the job creators, the rich.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
September 7th, 2012 at 6:28:20 PM permalink

I won't even go into comparing Carter and Reagan. Like comparing a Yugo to a Lexus.

Or, alternatively, like comparing Hoover to FDR;-)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
September 7th, 2012 at 6:55:31 PM permalink

If you tell a guy who wants to start a business that he needs to spread the wealth around, you might be out of touch......

If you think you'll succeed while screwing over your employees, you might be out of touch.

If you go to a church where the reverand says, "Not God Bless Americs, God (deleted) America!" loud and proud, you might be out of touch

If you think that the first amendment doesn't also apply to incredibly idiotic speech, you might be out of touch. Also, if you think that a congregant should have input into what a reverend says, you might be out of touch.

If you tell people they didn't build their business, someone else did that, you might be out of touch.

If you think employees and government-funded infrastructure don't play a key roll in the success of business, you might be out of touch.

If you think the leading issues for women are free abortions and birth control, you might be out of touch

If you think it's the democrats who want to talk about these things, you might be out of touch. They're in the news because the GOP won't shut up about them...

If you think tax increases spur the economy, you might be out of touch

If you think that revenue reductions will close a giant budget deficit, you might be out of touch.

If you think the private sector is doing well in a period of >8% unemployment, you might be out of touch

If you think Obama thinks the private sector is doing well, you might be out of touch.

If you cannot remember that you are a Christian instead of a Muslim in a TV interview, you might be out of touch

Umm...out of touch with...himself?

If you tell the people you have to negotiate with to "sit in the back of the bus" then call them obstructionists, you might be out of touch

If you think this is the first time the President of the United States of America has treated the opposition party this way, you might be out of touch.

If you think people can survive without an ID in the USA, you might be out of touch

If you think that something has magically changed and ID should now be required in the USA after decades of precedent to the contrary, you might be out of touch:-)

Anyone, feel free to add to it.

"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
rxwine
rxwine
September 7th, 2012 at 7:00:25 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Some of the conservitive pundits are
thinking that the Left is throwing Obama under the
bus to save their ideology.

This just in:

barack-obama-approval-rating-at-15-month-high-poll-says
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 7th, 2012 at 7:04:03 PM permalink

This just in:

Up 3, I think they call that a convention bounce. They
used to be 10-12 points before 24/7 cable news was born.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
September 7th, 2012 at 7:10:15 PM permalink

This just in:

Up 3, I think they call that a convention bounce. They
used to be 10-12 points before 24/7 cable news was born.

I wonder what the actual convention bounce is in this poll. It was conducted Tuesday-Thursday. So, about 1/3 of the survey was done before Tuesday's keynote, about 2/3 before Clinton's speech, and about 100% before Obama's actual speech last night. I'd guess that not all of the convention bounce is in these numbers. But, this poll is also approval and not the election horserace. Romney got about 1 point in the horserace after the GOP convention. I wonder if Obama will do any more than just get that point back.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 7th, 2012 at 7:17:53 PM permalink
Conventions are meaningless anymore. Nobody watches them,
they see too much of the candidates now. Its more for the
delegates, so they can go and get drunk. For both parties
its a giant waste of money.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
September 7th, 2012 at 7:26:22 PM permalink

Conventions are meaningless anymore. Nobody watches them,
they see too much of the candidates now. Its more for the
delegates, so they can go and get drunk. For both parties
its a giant waste of money.

I agree. 40 speakers in 3 days, and 4 total hours of network TV coverage. Might as well severely cut back the number of needless, pointless, untelevised speakers. Just point the camera at Biden for a while to see what comes out of his mouth, then let Clinton and the Big O take up the rest of the TV time orally stroking their own egos. (Note: Replace with Christie, Ryan, and Romney for my take on the GOP's convention...)
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 7th, 2012 at 7:31:18 PM permalink
And viewership was way down for the 4 hours of
coverage, and 2008 was down from 2004. Very
few other than hardcore people who've already
made up their minds watch this canned crap anymore.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
September 7th, 2012 at 7:48:57 PM permalink

And viewership was way down for the 4 hours of
coverage, and 2008 was down from 2004. Very
few other than hardcore people who've already
made up their minds watch this canned crap anymore.

I agree again. and it's time to let the networks off the hook in covering 3 of those 4 hours. Show the President's speech, show the challenger's speech. Let everything else be summed up on the late news & picked apart by the wonks on cable.
  • Jump to: