Poll

22 votes (88%)
3 votes (12%)

25 members have voted

DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 187
  • Posts: 10504
July 23rd, 2010 at 8:19:21 AM permalink
The thread about casinos barring advantage players got me thinking.

If a restaurant has a posted dress code, that's one thing. But like the advantage player, let's say a patron has a history at a specific restaurant.

The patron is acceptably dressed and is in no way abusive to other patrons or staff. And lets say he tips in the normal 15%-20% range.


A) The restaurant is a buffet, and the specific patron will eat only the very expensive items and/or simply eat a lot, to the point where the buffet loses money on that patron.

B) The restaurant is a fancy / expensive place, but the patron orders only a salad or appetizer, and sits getting refills on his coffee for hours during the dinner rush, keeping the table occupied while real customers wait for an available table.


In either scenario, should the management be able to bar those people?
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧 Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
nyuhoosier
nyuhoosier
Joined: Feb 16, 2010
  • Threads: 31
  • Posts: 248
July 23rd, 2010 at 9:08:38 AM permalink
I think people can and should be "backed off" from the buffet when they are advantage eaters. The proper way to handle it would be to tell them they're welcome back anytime, but for this session they have to stop.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
Joined: Mar 11, 2010
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 7237
July 23rd, 2010 at 9:16:34 AM permalink
I agree with Hoosier. I've seen this happen with my boss, who is a notorious advantage eater. He's made phrases like "2 trips they win, 3 trips you win" and "you want to go high meat; Salad is a trap!" famous in the office. Also, at the local Chinese buffet, they will just come over and say to him/us "You go now!"

And I really don't mind the "You go now!" part of it. I'm a fan of (reasonable) time limits. They help avoid the lingering situation in the second part of the poll.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
Joined: Jun 28, 2010
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 1344
July 23rd, 2010 at 9:32:40 AM permalink
What are you talking about? I'm a big guy (6'6", 245) with a hearty appetite and I love buffets. I've sat at them for 3 hours eating and drinking soft drinks, and I've gone to seafood buffets many times eating just platefuls of crab legs and nothing else. I feel as if every time I choose a buffet I always end up on the positive side of the ledger.

The restaurant reserves the right to refuse service, but they're never going to refuse service to someone who's EATING and not dressed like a slob or not causing trouble. I've never been asked to leave a buffet or even asked WHEN I'm expecting to leave. What kind of a dump would do that?
teddys
teddys
Joined: Nov 14, 2009
  • Threads: 150
  • Posts: 5444
July 23rd, 2010 at 9:32:58 AM permalink
Quote: nyuhoosier

I think people can and should be "backed off" from the buffet when they are advantage eaters. The proper way to handle it would be to tell them they're welcome back anytime, but for this session they have to stop.


Or "Sir, you're welcome to try any of our other eating establishments in the hotel, just not the buffet. Your appetite is just too strong for us."

If you come back then they start shuffling the shrimp and filet to different stations when you approach, or they only fill up the serving bowl 1/3 of the way.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
July 23rd, 2010 at 12:20:20 PM permalink
Two friends once wnet to a pizzeria with an all-you-can-eat promotion. One fell asleep waiting for the other to finish eating. They went back the next day, but the promo was gone. The owner was glad to see them, though.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
Joined: May 10, 2010
  • Threads: 34
  • Posts: 3489
July 29th, 2010 at 3:23:04 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

If you come back then they start shuffling the shrimp and filet to different stations when you approach, or they only fill up the serving bowl 1/3 of the way.



That is no joke. My sushi buffet includes clams for lunch and oysters for supper. If they see that the tray is being hit too hard (moi?), they won´t refill it for a while, usually waiting till the offender moves on to something like dessert. Of course, tactics can be and have been developed for that scenario.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
Joined: May 10, 2010
  • Threads: 34
  • Posts: 3489
July 29th, 2010 at 3:23:04 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

If you come back then they start shuffling the shrimp and filet to different stations when you approach, or they only fill up the serving bowl 1/3 of the way.



That is no joke. My sushi buffet includes clams for lunch and oysters for supper. If they see that the tray is being hit too hard (moi?), they won´t refill it for a while, usually waiting till the offender moves on to something like dessert. Of course, tactics can be and have been developed for that scenario.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
Joined: May 5, 2010
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 1573
July 29th, 2010 at 3:50:18 PM permalink
Quote: nyuhoosier

I think people can and should be "backed off" from the buffet when they are advantage eaters. The proper way to handle it would be to tell them they're welcome back anytime, but for this session they have to stop.



I feel like this thread is almost a joke and I'm not sure if I should take it seriously...

That being said, there is a huge difference from a casino banning an advantage player vs an advantage eater. An advantage player theoretically could lose their money, but in the long run, will make a specific percentage off the casino. An advantage eater eventually has to stop, whether it be because the buffet is closing or their stomach simply says stop. Furthermore, the cost of nearly every casino buffet is priced as to make money on the majority of patrons. Even if somebody "bucked the system" it's unlikely that the individual would make a huge dent on the house. And given the wasteful nature of buffets, they probably even welcome that.

I still voted for the right to refuse service. I believe that private businesses have a right to choose who the customer is, so long as it is not based solely on discriminatory measures. But the vote had nothing to do with advantage eaters... that's just really silly.
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
BigTip
BigTip
Joined: May 25, 2010
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 67
July 29th, 2010 at 6:05:09 PM permalink
"Advantage eater" lol, sounds like an episode of "Seinfeld" or something.

  • Jump to: