EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
February 3rd, 2015 at 1:34:32 PM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

Escalators moving the direction you want to go should always be on the right too. I learned that wasn't always the case the hard way.

Or the moving walkways at airports. Some people
stand there with their luggage next to them and
nobody can get by.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 264
February 3rd, 2015 at 2:22:52 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Or the moving walkways at airports.

STAND to the Right,,, WALK to the LEFT. I've had people who think that means you can block the moving walkway because those who wan to walk should be out on the floor to the left of the moving stairs.

I've heard that some establishments like to alternate elevator direction for "even wear and tear" and so will switch between UP and DOWN. I think its foolish.

Y'all have complaints about WALKERS in Vegas... now perhaps you see why its best not to rent a car there. The tourists DRIVE that way too.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
February 3rd, 2015 at 2:40:54 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'd like to add to the list people who don't walk on the right side of a hallway. The only allowable exception should be to pass slow moving traffic. In other words, the rules should be the same as driving on a two-lane road.

In all fairness, it is probably expected to walk on the left in Australia and New Zealand, which I probably forgot to do lots of times on my last trip.

When I worked in a huge office in AZ some girl gave me a remark because I did not step aside for her when she was walking on the wrong side. I remarked that she was the one on the left but by then we had passed each other. Some people expect the world to move for them.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 3rd, 2015 at 3:00:11 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Some people expect the world to move for them.

Most people have their heads up their
butts because it's easy, and it's a habit.
That's one major thing they teach
special squads in the military, how to
have your head out of your ass at all
times and pay real attention to what's
happening around you. It's so unusual
it needs to be taught.

For instance, my wife is very smart. Yet
I can do things right in front of her and
she never see's it. We can go someplace
10 times and she has no idea how to get
there because she wasn't driving. Take
me someplace once and I will know the
route because I'm always paying attention.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 43
February 3rd, 2015 at 3:44:41 PM permalink
It's just going to get worse Bob, with GPS people don't pay attention to where they are going.
Don't teach an alligator how to swim.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
February 3rd, 2015 at 4:03:25 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

It's just going to get worse Bob, with GPS people don't pay attention to where they are going.

I admit to being guilty of this. Pre-GPS I always said the best way to learn a new town was to "get lost" and force yourself to learn how to find your way. Albany, Rochester, Buffalo, Phoenix, in each I learned my way around. Well, Phoenix is Jeffersonian Grids so anyone should be able to figure it out. Some women I worked with couldn't but how anyone couldn't was beyond me. But today I set the GPS and go to the courthouse or gig and that is that.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 43
February 3rd, 2015 at 4:22:15 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I admit to being guilty of this. Pre-GPS I always said the best way to learn a new town was to "get lost" and force yourself to learn how to find your way. Albany, Rochester, Buffalo, Phoenix, in each I learned my way around. Well, Phoenix is Jeffersonian Grids so anyone should be able to figure it out. Some women I worked with couldn't but how anyone couldn't was beyond me. But today I set the GPS and go to the courthouse or gig and that is that.

I'm guilty of this too.I also don't remember anyones phone number anymore.
Don't teach an alligator how to swim.
MrWarmth
MrWarmth
  • Threads: 15
February 3rd, 2015 at 4:41:13 PM permalink
Before I moved here, this bothered me more than it does now. I think it has something to do with no time constraint, and I'm generally not in a hurry when I go to the Strip or Downtown for entertainment purposes anyway.

I try to be polite and defer when it comes to this but there are times when I really can't move aside because of space available (not counting the times I/they were distracted). Generally, it's just an annoyance followed by the appropriate nice-ities. But every now and then, someone will stop and almost-shout "Excuse me!" I always ignore it, but, almost without exception, the demographics of the almost-shouters are the same.

Quote: HowMany

Nothing worse than watching someone stop at the bottom of the escalator at The D, and just stand there.

I want to kill these people very badly.

I think this is particularly bad at Caesars shopping center. I've sometimes had to almost push people who stopped on the landings because more people were right behind me. I understand needing to get your bearings, but take a few steps off the landing and get them there.

One time, a couple who did this started almost-shouting at me (same demographics) and then stopped when people behind me bumped them from behind. By then, they figured out to get off the landing.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 4th, 2015 at 12:14:00 AM permalink
Quote: MrWarmth

By then, they figured out to get off the landing.

Just bump sloths with your body.
It's fun.
Baccaratfrom79
Baccaratfrom79
  • Threads: 58
February 4th, 2015 at 12:16:46 AM permalink
Worst to me is walking in the main doors at The Bellagio, the entire area most just loose their minds, sense of direction and in some weird state of awe.
Bac79=Hazardous Material and Chemical person correcting other's mistakes. Non AP'er, I can't count cards, low intelligence. Sprinkles magical dust on the cards. Has a lucky monkey. Baby also has a green one. Sum it up: "It's okay just blame me, it's all my fault"! ( No one believes me--so I chose to stop posting)

• Jump to: