AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
April 14th, 2014 at 6:32:46 PM permalink
I was going to post this in the "new look" thread but I couldn't find it. So, I will gripe here.

Does anyone else find that the auto-generated VP strategies are completely unreadable on WoO now? Or is my browser just displaying them strangely? There is way, way, way too much wasted whitespace on the page, requiring you to scroll around a lot to find anything. With the "old look" everything was nice and concise and fit on one screen for anything but the most brutal games. Now the only way to read the strategy is to hit all the "more" links and copy the thing down onto a piece of paper.

It's too bad; that strategy generator is one of the most valuable parts of the site IMO, but the excess of whitespace and resultant lack of information density make it almost completely useless.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
April 14th, 2014 at 6:41:05 PM permalink
Yeah there are issues, I have to turn my phone longways to read them there.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
April 14th, 2014 at 6:41:46 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

Yeah there are issues, I have to turn my phone longways to read them there.

I can't even read it on a laptop. The line-breaks are in seemingly random places.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
April 14th, 2014 at 6:49:32 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

I can't even read it on a laptop. The line-breaks are in seemingly random places.

Ok, looking at the code, I see the problem. It has line breaks manually inserted in certain places, but my browser breaks the lines in other places, so I end up with extra line breaks in really strange places (one-word-long lines, etc)

I'm not sure why you would want to manually put line breaks in there instead of just letting the browser do its job and break the lines in the right place for whatever fonts, etc are installed on that system.
pokerface
pokerface
  • Threads: 12
April 14th, 2014 at 8:11:17 PM permalink
I use Safari.
It seems the format of the strategy is narrower than before. But I can still read it reasonably well.
winning streaks come and go, losing streak never ends.
TheBigPaybak
TheBigPaybak
  • Threads: 14
April 15th, 2014 at 5:55:34 AM permalink

I was going to post this in the "new look" thread but I couldn't find it. So, I will gripe here.

Does anyone else find that the auto-generated VP strategies are completely unreadable on WoO now? Or is my browser just displaying them strangely? There is way, way, way too much wasted whitespace on the page, requiring you to scroll around a lot to find anything. With the "old look" everything was nice and concise and fit on one screen for anything but the most brutal games. Now the only way to read the strategy is to hit all the "more" links and copy the thing down onto a piece of paper.

It's too bad; that strategy generator is one of the most valuable parts of the site IMO, but the excess of whitespace and resultant lack of information density make it almost completely useless.

Thanks for the feedback, we'll add this to The List and improve upon in the future.

When we did the re-launch, it was more of a matter of not letting "perfect be the enemy of the good" as we all understood there would be certain issues to be corrected later. Feel free to PM me with any other issues you may come across if that's easier, thanks!
Lack of prior planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
April 15th, 2014 at 9:26:51 AM permalink
Let me give a concrete example (since I'm sure that this looks different depending on browser, OS, and set of fonts installed).

Here: https://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/strategy/a-1-b-120-c-1-d-0-d-1-d-1-d-2-d-4-d-7-d-9-d-50-d-80-d-160-d-400-d-800-d-50-d-800/

The first line of the strategy is:

Four 2's, 3's, 4's with any A,2,3,4; Four Aces with any 2,3,4; Straight Flush; Royal Flush

The code to display this is:

Four 2's, 3's, 4's with any A,2,3,4; Four Aces with any 2,3,4; Straight<br />Flush; Royal Flush

However, due to the way that the lines are naturally wrapped, my browser displays:

Quote:

Four 2's, 3's, 4's with any
A,2,3,4; Four Aces with any 2,3,4;
Straight
Flush; Royal Flush

So, there are two issues here. First, the table is only about 1/2 the width of the page, which means that all the horizontal space is wasted. This could easily fit on one or two lines on a laptop. I think it would be a lot better if the table was the same width as the tables above.

Second, the br causes "Straight" to be alone on a line. Since the browser is going to wrap things in the right place anyway, I'm not sure why you need the br there.

This is only one example -- this happens all throughout the strategy table. The result is that the table is extremely tall and narrow, with a lot of the space in the table wasted.
TheBigPaybak
TheBigPaybak
April 15th, 2014 at 9:29:34 AM permalink

Let me give a concrete example (since I'm sure that this looks different depending on browser, OS, and set of fonts installed).

Here: https://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/strategy/a-1-b-120-c-1-d-0-d-1-d-1-d-2-d-4-d-7-d-9-d-50-d-80-d-160-d-400-d-800-d-50-d-800/

The first line of the strategy is:

Four 2's, 3's, 4's with any A,2,3,4; Four Aces with any 2,3,4; Straight Flush; Royal Flush

The code to display this is:

Four 2's, 3's, 4's with any A,2,3,4; Four Aces with any 2,3,4; Straight<br />Flush; Royal Flush

However, due to the way that the lines are naturally wrapped, my browser displays:

Quote:

Four 2's, 3's, 4's with any
A,2,3,4; Four Aces with any 2,3,4;
Straight
Flush; Royal Flush

So, there are two issues here. First, the table is only about 1/2 the width of the page, which means that all the horizontal space is wasted. This could easily fit on one or two lines on a laptop. I think it would be a lot better if the table was the same width as the tables above.

Second, the br causes "Straight" to be alone on a line. Since the browser is going to wrap things in the right place anyway, I'm not sure why you need the br there.

This is only one example -- this happens all throughout the strategy table. The result is that the table is extremely tall and narrow, with a lot of the space in the table wasted.

Thanks so much, we'll look into it!
TheBigPaybak
TheBigPaybak
April 24th, 2014 at 5:33:17 AM permalink

Hello! We've improved on this, although there were some changes because of the way it was implemented we couldn't easily make. Anyway, if you can take a look and let me know if it's at least better, that would be great, thanks!
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
April 24th, 2014 at 9:21:30 AM permalink
Quote: TheBigPaybak

Hello! We've improved on this, although there were some changes because of the way it was implemented we couldn't easily make. Anyway, if you can take a look and let me know if it's at least better, that would be great, thanks!

Perfect timing; I need to learn a strategy in the next few hours! :)
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
April 24th, 2014 at 9:23:52 AM permalink
Oh, yeah, IMO it's much better. Just widening it to the full page makes a HUGE difference, and getting rid of the extra line breaks helps too.

Thanks!
TheBigPaybak
TheBigPaybak
April 24th, 2014 at 10:17:29 AM permalink

Oh, yeah, IMO it's much better. Just widening it to the full page makes a HUGE difference, and getting rid of the extra line breaks helps too.

Thanks!

Great! Please let me know any other issues you may see, thanks for your help!
  • Jump to: