GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 8871
October 5th, 2013 at 7:44:39 PM permalink
Local casino has a bonus free play where you go to the terminal and pick A, B, or C. The flyer that got sent to everyone says win $10-$1000. I did it last week with 4 cards and picked C on all 4. I got $10 on each. Tonight I did it again with 4 cards and again C was $10 each time. I also stood there and watched about 30 people and there was 1 with $15 and all others were $10.

It just really tilts me that 1. They act like it really matters which one you pick. 2. that 97% of people are getting the min. They should give some at least $15 or $20.

I wish they would just say, hey heres an extra $10 on this date like some casino's do. It is such a scam to get people in the door.

/rant
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
strictlyAP
strictlyAP
Joined: Jun 20, 2012
  • Threads: 116
  • Posts: 983
October 5th, 2013 at 7:49:51 PM permalink
One hundred percent agree my local casino does this. And there are 12 squares I have never seen anyone pick anything but the lowest it's almost insulting twelve squares 25-1000 with only one 25 dollar one and one 1k and always the lowest is pjcked
The bet will not be paid- not now not ever
teddys
teddys
Joined: Nov 14, 2009
  • Threads: 150
  • Posts: 5441
October 5th, 2013 at 7:53:37 PM permalink
"Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win." -Robert Heinlen
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Doc
Doc
Joined: Feb 27, 2010
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 6834
October 5th, 2013 at 7:58:20 PM permalink
Scam? Insulting? If the 12-square game isn't rigged, it sounds exactly like an EV of +$93.75 in free play. If the machines you then get to play on give reasonable return, it seems like a reasonable offer, even though the variance is high.

I suppose it would be an interesting poll question: Would you prefer an offer of $25 (guaranteed) in free play or one with an EV of $93.75 with whatever the variance is on this supposed payout of "one 25 dollar one and one 1k" with the other 10 squares at $10? (I'm too lazy to calculate the variance.)
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 11753
October 5th, 2013 at 8:03:16 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Local casino has a bonus free play where you go to the terminal and pick A, B, or C. The flyer that got sent to everyone says win $10-$1000. I did it last week with 4 cards and picked C on all 4. I got $10 on each. Tonight I did it again with 4 cards and again C was $10 each time. I also stood there and watched about 30 people and there was 1 with $15 and all others were $10.

It just really tilts me that 1. They act like it really matters which one you pick. 2. that 97% of people are getting the min. They should give some at least $15 or $20.

I wish they would just say, hey heres an extra $10 on this date like some casino's do. It is such a scam to get people in the door.

/rant



I don't know that it qualifies as a scam.

My guess is that you are playing a slot machine before you play a slot machine. There is probably an RNG that has values assigned to certain numbers behind A, B and C that stops as soon as you choose to play the game, after the RNG stops, you then pick from your three options. In order for it not to be a scam, all that is required is that there be at least one way to end up with $1,000, so it must be at least one of the stops behind one of the letters, there also has to be something between $10 and $1,000, and you saw an example of at least one such thing.

With stuff like this, you almost always get the minimum, as you pointed out. The Expected Value of it is still better than $10, though, because you have the potential for $1,000 or the other pays, so it's still better than them straight up giving you $10.

Do you have the promotional materials? It might even say the probabilities somewhere on there, or you could ask someone, they might know, they might not. If you want, PM me the name of the casino, and I'll see if I can find anything out.
Vultures can't be choosers.
PBguy
PBguy
Joined: Sep 4, 2013
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 278
October 5th, 2013 at 9:29:20 PM permalink
One of my local casinos (tribal casino in CA) does the same thing. It's not a slot machine just a kiosk where you swipe your players card. They give you 3 or 4 options to choose from and after you pick they show you what was behind the others. It gives the appearance of a random chance of winning if you select the right number. In reality the amount you're getting has been predetermined. For example, on Wednesday all seniors can win $5, $10, or $55. It says two squares have $5, one has $10, and one has $55. Given those odds 1 in 4 seniors should win $55. It's more like 1 in 100. I find it to be deceiving since they make it appear you have a 1 in 4 chance of winning $55 but from experience I know that not to be true.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 97
  • Posts: 13458
October 5th, 2013 at 9:39:12 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

"Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win." -Robert Heinlen



teddy!!! my hero! Quoting RAH....yay! Lately it feels like I'm the only person who ever read him. He saw ALL of this coming (generalization; off topic, sorry).
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
tringlomane
tringlomane
Joined: Aug 25, 2012
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 5918
October 5th, 2013 at 9:50:34 PM permalink
I played one of these at Sam's Town Tunica awhile back, and one of the three choices was often something ridiculous like $50,000. Instead I got $5 free play, a free buffet, etc.

It's a bit tilting, but so are weighted wheels on slot/video poker machines.
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 11753
October 5th, 2013 at 10:17:49 PM permalink
Quote: PBguy

One of my local casinos (tribal casino in CA) does the same thing. It's not a slot machine just a kiosk where you swipe your players card. They give you 3 or 4 options to choose from and after you pick they show you what was behind the others. It gives the appearance of a random chance of winning if you select the right number. In reality the amount you're getting has been predetermined. For example, on Wednesday all seniors can win $5, $10, or $55. It says two squares have $5, one has $10, and one has $55. Given those odds 1 in 4 seniors should win $55. It's more like 1 in 100. I find it to be deceiving since they make it appear you have a 1 in 4 chance of winning $55 but from experience I know that not to be true.



I know it's not a slot machine, I just mean that I think it operates the same way and a RNG determines what you get.
Vultures can't be choosers.
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
Joined: Feb 5, 2010
  • Threads: 52
  • Posts: 1569
October 6th, 2013 at 10:02:53 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

teddy!!! my hero! Quoting RAH....yay! Lately it feels like I'm the only person who ever read him. He saw ALL of this coming (generalization; off topic, sorry).



TANSTAAFL!!!!
Vote for Nobody 2016!

  • Jump to: