24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
April 4th, 2014 at 5:53:32 PM permalink
It's a hell of a red flag to me when the word "proof" is used without a clear standard of evidence having been established. I find it's nearly always a self-granted license to put the goalposts on the next train to Siberia.

In any case, AZD, any evidence at all to back up that rambling just-so story? No? Didn't think so. Meanwhile, as for the idea that homosexuality is, perhaps not genetic, but not a matter of choice in any practical sense, well golly gee willikers, let's see what the APA has to say.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
April 15th, 2014 at 4:26:48 PM permalink
I just watched the movie "American Hustle"
Boy do I feel hustled paying a few bucks the rent this terrible movie.
I hated all the characters.
It starts out with a con man played by Christian Bale but no interesting cons.
I hated both chicks in the movie. Yea, a lot of sex appeal but just not very interesting and extremely shallow.
Hated the FBI guy. An FBI guy that beats up his boss, cmon, ridiculous, and he lives with his mother.
I felt like I was watching a bunch of low lifes. There was not a single character I had compassion for.
Good acting but extremely weak story and script.
This is the whole movie in a nutshell. Con man and partner cons people out of money, gets caught, helps FBI con politicians, feels bad about it and that's it. sheesh.
How can you have a movie about a con man and not have an interesting con with a neat twist.
Instead its a junk script. 10 academy award nominations, no wins. Of course, the voters probably couldn't believe it actually got nominated.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
April 15th, 2014 at 7:21:53 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I just watched the movie "American Hustle"
Boy do I feel hustled paying a few bucks the rent this terrible movie.
I hated all the characters.
It starts out with a con man played by Christian Bale but no interesting cons.
I hated both chicks in the movie. Yea, a lot of sex appeal but just not very interesting and extremely shallow.
Hated the FBI guy. An FBI guy that beats up his boss, cmon, ridiculous, and he lives with his mother.
I felt like I was watching a bunch of low lifes. There was not a single character I had compassion for.
Good acting but extremely weak story and script.
This is the whole movie in a nutshell. Con man and partner cons people out of money, gets caught, helps FBI con politicians, feels bad about it and that's it. sheesh.
How can you have a movie about a con man and not have an interesting con with a neat twist.
Instead its a junk script. 10 academy award nominations, no wins. Of course, the voters probably couldn't believe it actually got nominated.

This was my exact reaction. I hated every character in the movie, could not care less about what happened to any of them. No idea where the quality was they cited at the Oscars.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
April 15th, 2014 at 9:08:27 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

The flamboyancy you seem to especially dislike is, in my experience, usually an over-reaction by the person to the condemnation of homophobes; sort of a show of defiance. And, again in my experience, the flamboyant homosexuals were about 10% of all the gays I knew, not more, though any of them could "camp it up" for a party or a joke. Doesn't mean I haven't met gays in just about every job I've had. But more by proportion in the theatre than other areas I worked, though waiting table came pretty close.

I live in the SF bay area and realize that I run into gay people during the course of my day that I have no idea are gay. There are gays that arent flamboyant..you know accountants, lawyers, sports figures.

However the gay community sort of helps perpetuate that steriotype. One major way is in the Gay Pride Parade....which ends up being covered by the media as a freak show. Cross dressing, half naked people, highly sexual conduct.

You dont see a group of gay accountants marching where someone can look at them and say..."they look just like you and me" or "they are just like you and me".

I never attended the parade, so I only see what the media is showing me. But this type of behavior would not be tolerated in any other type specialty parade, like Cinco de mayo parade, or columbus day parade, or black pride parade, or shriners parade.

In my opinion the gay community has enough creative people who can put on a parade that is entertaining, pleasing to the eye,...like all other parades without turining it into a freak show. If "pride" is the prevailing word.....then the people putting on the parade should show pride in many of the accomplishemts of people in the gay communoty....and let the world know about them...and celebrate them.

I had no idea Michelangelo was gay......that would be a great float....putting a scene of his life in a float....rather than queens..prancing around in womens clothing.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
April 15th, 2014 at 9:41:19 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

But this type of behavior would not be tolerated in any other type specialty parade, like Cinco de mayo parade, or columbus day parade, or black pride parade, or shriners parade.

I guess it differs as the cause is sexual and preference. None of the others fit that.

Edited to add -- and I suppose it may eventually change over the years. It also was never mainstream, except locally.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
April 15th, 2014 at 9:50:57 PM permalink
Speaking of parades, I think Mayor Oscar Goodman wanted this to become an annual event

Not sure his wife thinks all his ideas were good. He also talked about legalizing prostitution in Vegas.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
April 16th, 2014 at 8:53:30 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I guess it differs as the cause is sexual and preference. None of the others fit that.

Edited to add -- and I suppose it may eventually change over the years. It also was never mainstream, except locally.

I agree being gay is "sexual" by definition.

But 2 things can be equally true. Being gay is about sexuality very true. And running a gay parade that precludes bringing children because people are dressed so sexually provacative, dosent creatively portray the accompishments of gays present or past, and allows people in middle america to maintain their bigotry as the cringe and say "look at those people"...is counter productive.
terapined
terapined
June 23rd, 2014 at 12:56:19 PM permalink
Dan Brown's book "Inferno."
Junk.
I read all his books. Loved Digital fortress and Angels and Demons among others.
Good author, fun reads.
Just finished his most recent book "Inferno."
Terrible. Really weak. I could barely finish it, simply skimmed the final 30 pages just to get to the end and pick up something better.
Dan Brown has lost it, no more neat ideas. Just cranking it out for the publishers. Sad.

Reading Preston and Child "Cold Vegenance" Loving it so far.
Love all the Det. Penderghast books.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
June 23rd, 2014 at 1:14:23 PM permalink

Dan Brown's book "Inferno."
Junk.
I read all his books. Loved Digital fortress and Angels and Demons among others.
Good author, fun reads.
Just finished his most recent book "Inferno."
Terrible. Really weak. I could barely finish it, simply skimmed the final 30 pages just to get to the end and pick up something better.
Dan Brown has lost it, no more neat ideas. Just cranking it out for the publishers. Sad.

Reading Preston and Child "Cold Vegenance" Loving it so far.
Love all the Det. Penderghast books.

That's how I felt about The Lost Symbol (I think that's what it was called) a few years ago.

Just crap.

Didn't even bother with Inferno.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
June 23rd, 2014 at 2:14:13 PM permalink
I am always amazed at the preachers who talk about homosexual giving in to temptation ? If you are not gay, where the hell is the temptation.

Have no fear all churches will soon accept all gays. Especially since the majority of gay couples are DINK's and have disposable income.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 23rd, 2014 at 3:22:24 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

This was my exact reaction. I hated every character in the movie, could not care less about what happened to any of them. No idea where the quality was they cited at the Oscars.

Sometimes the acting award goes for doing so well with a lousy script. Remember all those laundry commercials where a housewife comes dancing in singing about white collars and suds. Now that is real acting!!

The Academy awards are a bit too industry influenced to be true yardsticks of talent or achievement.

As to other items in this thread:

Sexual orientation is one thing that makes the Pre Code movies so entertaining. I think there has always been a difference between sexual orientation and acceptance of sexual orientation. Gays used to marry and I imagine that some of the most angry at the Gay Rights Movement were the fathers who had been forced to "live straight" and became envious of their son's options to openly "live gay". There seem to be several factors that determine orientation but I do think there is evidence of a genetic component. The problem is that all males get a "testosterone bath" in the womb and so do their female twins. Often the testosterone bath seems to take place but the fetus responds poorly to it. So the levels of the hormone are fine, but the response to it is insufficient. There are some instances of pedophilia taking place in successive generations but who knows if this genetic or just influenced by experience and opportunity?

As to Gay Parades, Seattle's Summer Solstice parade is mainly heterosexual oriented and certainly features open nudity. San Francisco's Folsom Parade is more oriented to sex than to "categorized" sex. I recall receiving an email comment from a young lady who had just returned from a sex party in San Francisco and being struck by how similar her comments were to those made by women who are disappointed after a party but have not had over a dozen male partners. I recall one woman who refused to dance topless in a club where she could not interact verbally with the customers; she chose instead a full nudity and very raunchy club which she felt was more honest though she felt the manager and other dancers were a bunch of thieves. Yes, in many respects she was rather naive, but at least she was honest.

I posted before about the CPA who suffered a slipped scalpel during brain surgery and became a car thief. He still stayed in character by never using violence and never selling the cars he stole, but his law abiding behavior changed during that surgery and he paid the price for it. Some drugs seem to have similar effects though generally only on a very small subset of the population.
terapined
terapined
October 15th, 2014 at 2:45:10 PM permalink
Flying out of Vegas, looking for an electrical outlet.
Where are all the outlets?
left out of Tampa, a gazilion all over the place.
Switched in Minneapolis, tons of outlets everywhere.
Vegas Mcarron airport , hardly anything. I gave up. Uggh
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
October 15th, 2014 at 2:53:07 PM permalink

Flying out of Vegas, looking for an electrical outlet. Where are all the outlets? left out of Tampa, a gazilion all over the place. Switched in Minneapolis, tons of outlets everywhere. Vegas Mcarron airport , hardly anything. I gave up. Uggh

McCarran sure beats all three New York-New Jersey airports combined.
  • Jump to: