24Bingo
24Bingo
Joined: Jul 4, 2012
  • Threads: 23
  • Posts: 1348
April 4th, 2014 at 5:53:32 PM permalink
It's a hell of a red flag to me when the word "proof" is used without a clear standard of evidence having been established. I find it's nearly always a self-granted license to put the goalposts on the next train to Siberia.

In any case, AZD, any evidence at all to back up that rambling just-so story? No? Didn't think so. Meanwhile, as for the idea that homosexuality is, perhaps not genetic, but not a matter of choice in any practical sense, well golly gee willikers, let's see what the APA has to say.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
terapined
terapined
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 5802
April 15th, 2014 at 4:26:48 PM permalink
I just watched the movie "American Hustle"
Boy do I feel hustled paying a few bucks the rent this terrible movie.
I hated all the characters.
It starts out with a con man played by Christian Bale but no interesting cons.
I hated both chicks in the movie. Yea, a lot of sex appeal but just not very interesting and extremely shallow.
Hated the FBI guy. An FBI guy that beats up his boss, cmon, ridiculous, and he lives with his mother.
I felt like I was watching a bunch of low lifes. There was not a single character I had compassion for.
Good acting but extremely weak story and script.
This is the whole movie in a nutshell. Con man and partner cons people out of money, gets caught, helps FBI con politicians, feels bad about it and that's it. sheesh.
How can you have a movie about a con man and not have an interesting con with a neat twist.
Instead its a junk script. 10 academy award nominations, no wins. Of course, the voters probably couldn't believe it actually got nominated.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14232
April 15th, 2014 at 7:21:53 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I just watched the movie "American Hustle"
Boy do I feel hustled paying a few bucks the rent this terrible movie.
I hated all the characters.
It starts out with a con man played by Christian Bale but no interesting cons.
I hated both chicks in the movie. Yea, a lot of sex appeal but just not very interesting and extremely shallow.
Hated the FBI guy. An FBI guy that beats up his boss, cmon, ridiculous, and he lives with his mother.
I felt like I was watching a bunch of low lifes. There was not a single character I had compassion for.
Good acting but extremely weak story and script.
This is the whole movie in a nutshell. Con man and partner cons people out of money, gets caught, helps FBI con politicians, feels bad about it and that's it. sheesh.
How can you have a movie about a con man and not have an interesting con with a neat twist.
Instead its a junk script. 10 academy award nominations, no wins. Of course, the voters probably couldn't believe it actually got nominated.



This was my exact reaction. I hated every character in the movie, could not care less about what happened to any of them. No idea where the quality was they cited at the Oscars.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
LarryS
LarryS
Joined: Feb 26, 2011
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 1410
April 15th, 2014 at 9:08:27 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

.

The flamboyancy you seem to especially dislike is, in my experience, usually an over-reaction by the person to the condemnation of homophobes; sort of a show of defiance. And, again in my experience, the flamboyant homosexuals were about 10% of all the gays I knew, not more, though any of them could "camp it up" for a party or a joke. Doesn't mean I haven't met gays in just about every job I've had. But more by proportion in the theatre than other areas I worked, though waiting table came pretty close.



I live in the SF bay area and realize that I run into gay people during the course of my day that I have no idea are gay. There are gays that arent flamboyant..you know accountants, lawyers, sports figures.

However the gay community sort of helps perpetuate that steriotype. One major way is in the Gay Pride Parade....which ends up being covered by the media as a freak show. Cross dressing, half naked people, highly sexual conduct.

You dont see a group of gay accountants marching where someone can look at them and say..."they look just like you and me" or "they are just like you and me".

I never attended the parade, so I only see what the media is showing me. But this type of behavior would not be tolerated in any other type specialty parade, like Cinco de mayo parade, or columbus day parade, or black pride parade, or shriners parade.

In my opinion the gay community has enough creative people who can put on a parade that is entertaining, pleasing to the eye,...like all other parades without turining it into a freak show. If "pride" is the prevailing word.....then the people putting on the parade should show pride in many of the accomplishemts of people in the gay communoty....and let the world know about them...and celebrate them.

I had no idea Michelangelo was gay......that would be a great float....putting a scene of his life in a float....rather than queens..prancing around in womens clothing.
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 171
  • Posts: 10340
April 15th, 2014 at 9:41:19 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

But this type of behavior would not be tolerated in any other type specialty parade, like Cinco de mayo parade, or columbus day parade, or black pride parade, or shriners parade.



I guess it differs as the cause is sexual and preference. None of the others fit that.

Edited to add -- and I suppose it may eventually change over the years. It also was never mainstream, except locally.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 171
  • Posts: 10340
April 15th, 2014 at 9:50:57 PM permalink
Speaking of parades, I think Mayor Oscar Goodman wanted this to become an annual event

Not sure his wife thinks all his ideas were good. He also talked about legalizing prostitution in Vegas.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
LarryS
LarryS
Joined: Feb 26, 2011
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 1410
April 16th, 2014 at 8:53:30 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I guess it differs as the cause is sexual and preference. None of the others fit that.

Edited to add -- and I suppose it may eventually change over the years. It also was never mainstream, except locally.



I agree being gay is "sexual" by definition.

But 2 things can be equally true. Being gay is about sexuality very true. And running a gay parade that precludes bringing children because people are dressed so sexually provacative, dosent creatively portray the accompishments of gays present or past, and allows people in middle america to maintain their bigotry as the cringe and say "look at those people"...is counter productive.
terapined
terapined
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 5802
June 23rd, 2014 at 12:56:19 PM permalink
Dan Brown's book "Inferno."
Junk.
I read all his books. Loved Digital fortress and Angels and Demons among others.
Good author, fun reads.
Just finished his most recent book "Inferno."
Terrible. Really weak. I could barely finish it, simply skimmed the final 30 pages just to get to the end and pick up something better.
Dan Brown has lost it, no more neat ideas. Just cranking it out for the publishers. Sad.

Reading Preston and Child "Cold Vegenance" Loving it so far.
Love all the Det. Penderghast books.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
ams288
ams288
Joined: Sep 26, 2012
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 5463
June 23rd, 2014 at 1:14:23 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Dan Brown's book "Inferno."
Junk.
I read all his books. Loved Digital fortress and Angels and Demons among others.
Good author, fun reads.
Just finished his most recent book "Inferno."
Terrible. Really weak. I could barely finish it, simply skimmed the final 30 pages just to get to the end and pick up something better.
Dan Brown has lost it, no more neat ideas. Just cranking it out for the publishers. Sad.

Reading Preston and Child "Cold Vegenance" Loving it so far.
Love all the Det. Penderghast books.



That's how I felt about The Lost Symbol (I think that's what it was called) a few years ago.

Just crap.

Didn't even bother with Inferno.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
Buzzard
Buzzard
Joined: Oct 28, 2012
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6814
June 23rd, 2014 at 2:14:13 PM permalink
I am always amazed at the preachers who talk about homosexual giving in to temptation ? If you are not gay, where the hell is the temptation.

Have no fear all churches will soon accept all gays. Especially since the majority of gay couples are DINK's and have disposable income.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet

  • Jump to: