rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 3rd, 2013 at 7:39:32 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

The last four pages of posts, all miscellaneous political rants, and some impuning of EvenBob's talent as a political clairvoyant...

Ah, yes, I remember President Dewey.

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 3rd, 2013 at 7:56:37 PM permalink
Fin thinks all those people who supported Dewey had to apologize
to all the Truman supporters. Probably the most insane thing I've
heard of in a long time. When Kerry lost in 2004, I never had a
single Kerry supporter apologize to me for supporting him. The
idea is ludicrous. Winning isn't enough, you have to kiss the asses
of those who voted for him? I don't think so.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
October 3rd, 2013 at 7:57:49 PM permalink
Correct. Like China, the Soviet Union, Germany, and Japan. The goal is to achieve friendship through diplomatic means, not by dropping bombs. America has clearly demonstrated that dropping bombs and engaging in actual warfare is a very messy and expensive business. Words and diplomacy are far more effective and cheaper. Iran is an enemy to the USA right now because Iran is an enemy to Isreal.

I said before on the Syria thread that it was up to Russia to solve the problem. And they are. Russia is the key ally to Syria and only Russia has the power to change Syria's political landscape. Any military action by America on Syria would make Russian-American relations more tenuous than it already is, just like any milatary action on North Korea would probably cause a strain in Chinese-American relationships.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
October 3rd, 2013 at 7:59:09 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

Bob, you were trolling about the election for almost a year. And I will call it that forever until you apologize. That is why no one respects you on this board.

That is not true. There are a lot of people who also get no respect on this board that respect Bob. By the way, don't expect Bob to apologize for being wrong because he would have to apologize after every post and that would get tiresome.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
October 3rd, 2013 at 8:00:41 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Fin thinks all those people who supported Dewey had to apologize
to all the Truman supporters. Probably the most insane thing I've
heard of in a long time. When Kerry lost in 2004, I never had a
single Kerry supporter apologize to me for supporting him. The
idea is ludicrous. Winning isn't enough, you have to kiss the asses
of those who voted for him? I don't think so.

Wrong again Bob. Fin think that you should apologize for trolling but you're always wrong and we've become used to that.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 3rd, 2013 at 8:18:00 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

Wrong again Bob. Fin think that you should apologize for trolling .

Even more idiotic.
wroberson
wroberson
  • Threads: 19
October 3rd, 2013 at 8:59:37 PM permalink
I could care less about the Affordable Care Act, but I have to draw a line somewhere.

What's irking me is the closure of the National Parks. How do you close open land? Buildings sure, fine, okay, but the land is just that land. Boundaries may have been drawn, but the land and park itself was not man made. Even I can argue that if they stayed open, there could be damage done. Fires. Vandals. But for most, a trip to the National Park took a lot of planning and more likely, planned months in advance. There's a big stink for a lot of people have had wedding plans. Plans to be married in the Park. Now with them closed, they are being moved indoors or canceled.

It's just not fair. In the spirit that is all American, I have been working on my complaint. While there's plenty of time for government to pull it's face out of it's ass, this may take a while. It's pretty much complete, but it's just a form with most of the elements needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Court.

Roberson Vs. Government
Plaintiff: Roberson
Defendant: Government

Venue:

Right Here. Right Now

Background:

March 26, 2013 plaintiff made a reservation in Las Vegas for November 2013. As part of this trip, Roberson planned to visit Zion National Park on November 18, 2013.

On October 1, 2013, the government shutdown closing the National Park System. The government remained closed through November 18, 2013 and access to Zion National Park was denied.

On October 1, 2013, the government shutdown causes the N.O.A.A. to stop operation of the national weather radar and access to important radar information was denied.

The failure of Government to put into place a budget to keep the Government funded for 49 days caused the National Park and N.O.A.A to be closed.

Zion National Park was closed on November 18, 2013. The plaintiff suffered grief. It was a sunny day.

Count One: Tortious Interference

The intentional acts by Government caused cause the tortious interference which prevented plaintiff from entering the National Park.

Prayer for plausible relief:

The plaintiff asks this court to find a plausible claim for relief in this matter.

Plaintiff,

Roberson
Buffering...
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 21
October 3rd, 2013 at 9:07:05 PM permalink
I am not sure if the shutdown will last until your hypothetical date. However, I am pretty sure I am screwed. I am arriving in Vegas on the 5th and was planning my trip that my wife and I were very much looking forward to on the 10th. I doubt the gov't will hammer out a deal before then. :(
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
wroberson
wroberson
October 3rd, 2013 at 10:03:33 PM permalink
Sorry. I voted.

I know of back roads into several parks and monuments. The Grand Canyon should be easy to sneak into, but Zion only has back country hiking trails.

That's a shame. If you have a Parks card, you might be able to fight for a pro-rated discount. If you had camping reservations, you should be able to get a refund.

It sucks. Hope it works out...
Buffering...
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
October 4th, 2013 at 3:31:20 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

That's gotta end sometime. Some of our greatest allies were previously mortal enemies.

Iran is the other case, once a great ally now a mortal enemy. Iran is the one calling for the destruction of the USA and our ally Israel. All the weight is on them to change this, none is on us.

Obviously it is better to have allies than enemies. But you should not make nice just for the sake of making nice. It has to suit your geopolitical needs. Right now having Iran as an enemy keeps Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and the UAE needing American power in the region. Even if Iran made nice they will not just give up their regional ambitions.

For this reason things are unlikely to change. As I keep reminding everyone, the USA does not desire "peace" in the Middle East, we prefer a Mexican Standoff where nobody becomes a regional power.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
October 4th, 2013 at 6:05:40 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Iran is the other case, once a great ally now a mortal enemy. Iran is the one calling for the destruction of the USA and our ally Israel. All the weight is on them to change this, none is on us.

I agree that it's Iran's responsibility to change. But I'm not sure at all why you're putting this all in the present tense. Iran's new regime seems quite intent on making changes...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 4th, 2013 at 6:22:05 AM permalink

I agree that it's Iran's responsibility to change. But I'm not sure at all why you're putting this all in the present tense. Iran's new regime seems quite intent on making changes...

I'll believe it when I see it. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
October 4th, 2013 at 8:28:44 AM permalink
I'm tired of the Wal-Mart ad match guarantee. Some of the cashiers will not allow you to apply it to generic brands, for instance, a Kroger brand product compared to an otherwise identical Great Value brand product...and some will. Fortunately, I know what the regular prices are at all three stores in the area, so now I only go to Wal-Mart for stuff that I know is regularly lower than what anyone else is offering.

Anyway, if Wal-Mart would come up with a uniform policy for the handling of ad matching generic items, then I'd shop there more than once a month, and probably buy more. It'd be pretty convenient if the prices were not left to the whims of an individual cashier.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 4th, 2013 at 9:44:54 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I'm tired of the Wal-Mart ad match guarantee. Some of the cashiers will not allow you to apply it to generic brands, for instance, a Kroger brand product compared to an otherwise identical Great Value brand product...and some will. Fortunately, I know what the regular prices are at all three stores in the area, so now I only go to Wal-Mart for stuff that I know is regularly lower than what anyone else is offering.

Anyway, if Wal-Mart would come up with a uniform policy for the handling of ad matching generic items, then I'd shop there more than once a month, and probably buy more. It'd be pretty convenient if the prices were not left to the whims of an individual cashier.

The thing I never got about price-match is why wouldn't I just buy it at the cheaper place? Why go thru the hassle of asking for the match? I have to admit this is why I never asked.

FWIW I once saw a guy asking WMT to match the price another WMT had on some item. The service desk gal said, "sorry, we do not compete with ourselves" and did not match it. I assume it was a high enough amount that he traveled because he left.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
October 4th, 2013 at 9:48:23 AM permalink

The thing I never got about price-match is why wouldn't I just buy it at the cheaper place? Why go thru the hassle of asking for the match? I have to admit this is why I never asked.

With expensive electronics, like computers, many stores will match the advertised prices of their competitors. If you don't want to bother driving a further distance to the cheaper store, it is worth trying. Even places that don't advertise a price matching policy will likely do so.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
October 4th, 2013 at 10:04:22 AM permalink

It's all about the concept of one-stop shopping, which is why Wal-Mart does that. We have three major grocery stores in town, but the ad match is also good for crap like the CVS ad, (I wouldn't actually go to CVS for anything, because it is out of the way) price matching on national brands advertised in Family Dollar and Dollar General, (I make it to the Dollar General closest to me about once per month for a few regular things, but not making a special stop for one sale item) you might have something at KMart for the price match, (I won't enter that disgusting cesspool of disease for any reason, ever) or you could even have a Rite-Aid ad, Convenient Food Mart ad or a smaller, "Local," store such as IGA or Foodland.

Basically, you get the deals other stores are offering without actually having to stop at the other stores, which is especially beneficial if the deals you are wanting from each store are for only one-two items.

It's also beneficial because it gives you the opportunity to move your action around pretty strategically if you have a high AMT (Average Monthly Theoretical) at Kroger. Kroger has the Kroger Plus card upon which you make purchases and earn fuel points for $$$ off gas once per month, but you'll also get coupons for Free/Discounted stuff in the mail which are mostly unique to you. Anyway, the key is to mess with their computers by taking a month every six months or so, and only giving them about 25% of your average monthly action...Wal-Mart's ad match helps facilitate this because I can just shop at Wal-Mart...especially if the Price Match on Generic for Generic...Anyway, you lose a little bit on the fuel points, but the litany of mail offers for free stuff you will get the following month more than makes up for it. Case of water, 2lb Carrots, Free 5lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, $5 off any Produce purchase of $10 or more, $5 off any deli purchase of $10 or more, $5 off any frozen purchase of $10 or more, $5 off any Meat Department purchase of $10 or more, $5 off any dairy purchase of $10 or more, Free 12 ct. Pop-Tarts, etc...plenty of etc.!

It drives their computer absolutely nuts, scares the Hell out of it that you're not going to Kroger as much as you should be. The computer wants you back, so it just throws everything that it has for that month at you!

Quote:

FWIW I once saw a guy asking WMT to match the price another WMT had on some item. The service desk gal said, "sorry, we do not compete with ourselves" and did not match it. I assume it was a high enough amount that he traveled because he left.

I have to admit that I like her decision and answer, that's hilarious!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
October 4th, 2013 at 10:14:23 AM permalink
Why are federal workers going to get paid for time lost during the "slowdown"? It is like a free vacation to them and if they are at a minimum not idiots with their finances they will not starve with a missed paycheck or two. This will be over before the debt limit is hit and everyone knows it. The country saves nothing and these people get free time off. What a country!!
Perdition
Perdition
  • Threads: 36
October 4th, 2013 at 10:22:48 AM permalink
Not really a complaint but more of a question.

Why do people sign their name at the bottom of their posts? I mean I can look like 2 inches left and see who you are, there's no need to remind me again after every post. I know back in the usenet days and older message boards you had to do that to identify yourself. Old habit maybe? Not sure. Just to me seems like the computer version of speaking in the third person.

I know a few people on the forums that do this, maybe they can say why they prefer that method.
petroglyph
petroglyph
October 4th, 2013 at 10:51:46 AM permalink

What do you mean it's Iran's responsibility to change?

It's just so much easier for everyone to just get their talking points form fox, or msnbc or cnn than to actually read enough to have their own cross referenced opinion of world affairs. If anyone is getting their news from the television they are being misled and directed for someone else's purposes. All the mainstream media is propaganda. Whether it's usa news or Russian or Israel it's all herding the sheeple into the corral.

As far as Iran being an enemy, wtf? No one cares to read about the cia and bp ousting the democratic leader Mosedegh and installing the "Shah" who with his secret police murdered over one million Iranians. No, that's just too much effort when we can just click on any mainstream news and believe the spin about saying Ahmadinejad calling for the destruction of Israel. That is an absolutely false interpretation of what was said.

People won't read. You want something that might blow your beliefs away just type into google or bing, "Jewish Synagogue's in Iran". Mind boggling, there are many and they are beautiful. Israel in a pr campaign tried to get Iranian jews to move to Israel and the jewish people of Iran don't want to move. I'm not aware of any place that the Iranian's have called for the destruction of the usa, I believe that to be ludicrous.

Iran hasn't been in a war for hundred's of years except to defend themselves from the usa-cia sponserd megalomaniac Saddam, who used chemical weapons given to him by us.

It's easier to just send in the drones. Read "Perkins confessions". It almost seems that our gov wan't to invite blowback.

End of bitch, rant
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 4th, 2013 at 11:01:03 AM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

Mean just what we said. Iran calls for the destruction of the USA. Calls for destruction of Israel. Major human rights violator. Yes, it is Iran's responsibility to change.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 4th, 2013 at 11:01:39 AM permalink
Quote: Perdition

Not really a complaint but more of a question.

Why do people sign their name at the bottom of their posts? I mean I can look like 2 inches left and see who you are, there's no need to remind me again after every post. I know back in the usenet days and older message boards you had to do that to identify yourself. Old habit maybe? Not sure. Just to me seems like the computer version of speaking in the third person.

I know a few people on the forums that do this, maybe they can say why they prefer that method.

Just a guess that it goes back to the days of Usenet when this was a convention in your sig.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
October 4th, 2013 at 11:03:47 AM permalink

It's just so much easier for everyone to just get their talking points form fox, or msnbc or cnn than to actually read enough to have their own cross referenced opinion of world affairs. If anyone is getting their news from the television they are being misled and directed for someone else's purposes. All the mainstream media is propaganda. Whether it's usa news or Russian or Israel it's all herding the sheeple into the corral.

As far as Iran being an enemy, wtf? No one cares to read about the cia and bp ousting the democratic leader Mosedegh and installing the "Shah" who with his secret police murdered over one million Iranians. No, that's just too much effort when we can just click on any mainstream news and believe the spin about saying Ahmadinejad calling for the destruction of Israel. That is an absolutely false interpretation of what was said.

People won't read. You want something that might blow your beliefs away just type into google or bing, "Jewish Synagogue's in Iran". Mind boggling, there are many and they are beautiful. Israel in a pr campaign tried to get Iranian jews to move to Israel and the jewish people of Iran don't want to move. I'm not aware of any place that the Iranian's have called for the destruction of the usa, I believe that to be ludicrous.

Iran hasn't been in a war for hundred's of years except to defend themselves from the usa-cia sponserd megalomaniac Saddam, who used chemical weapons given to him by us.

It's easier to just send in the drones. Read "Perkins confessions". It almost seems that our gov wan't to invite blowback.

End of bitch, rant

Well damn! Why did I spend 7 years getting degrees in political science and public policy when all I had to do was read wikipedia. If I complain, do you think I can get my tuition back?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
October 4th, 2013 at 11:22:35 AM permalink
Now Nobama says he won't negotiate with Republicans over the shutdown because there is "a gun held to the heads of the American people."
Fine example of executive privilege here I'd say. It's all about him and he is a piece of work!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 4th, 2013 at 11:36:49 AM permalink

Well damn! Why did I spend 7 years getting degrees in political science and public policy when all I had to do was read wikipedia. If I complain, do you think I can get my tuition back?

SEVEN YEARS OF COLLEGE DOWN THE DRAIN!
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
October 4th, 2013 at 11:43:30 AM permalink
Quote: chickenman

Now Nobama says he won't negotiate with Republicans over the shutdown because there is "a gun held to the heads of the American people."

And this is coming from the guy who wants to "raise the level of public discourse". What's worse though is all the people who still buy that BS.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
October 4th, 2013 at 11:53:33 AM permalink
+2

The whole thing is just sick, weakest POTUS ever, laughing stock of the world
petroglyph
petroglyph
October 4th, 2013 at 11:56:17 AM permalink

I don't know why you spent 7 years doing what you did? Why do you think? It's seems your post is a mixture of facetiousness and sarcasm, correct me if I'm mistaken.

I've never read wikepedia. Most people can run circles around me with your computer skills and English education. I've never had the benefit of a formal education. All I've ever done is work. Started in the fields before I was ten. I have no idea why world affairs interests me but it does and always has, so I read. I'm no expert on anything, I don't pretend to be. My above rant is only my opinion and unfortunately an emotional one.

I watched some youtube videos of kids [teens and early adults] in Iran and what it reminded me of was a cross between "Mayberry" and my social interactions in my youth in the 60's and 70's. There are certainly rules there. I was flabbergasted to see the videos of the synagogue in Tehran.

Do you think the US has the authority or integrity to interject our "faux beliefs" or phony democracy onto all nations. Can we at least consider that we are not absolutely the final authority about what is right or wrong for all people?

Tear apart the message, not the messenger, ok?
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
October 4th, 2013 at 11:57:36 AM permalink

It's seems your post is a mixture of facetiousness and sarcasm, correct me if I'm mistaken.

I didn't get that impression.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 4th, 2013 at 12:08:56 PM permalink
Quote: chickenman

+2

The whole thing is just sick, weakest POTUS ever, laughing stock

He lives to campaign and not to govern. And he seems to be betting the farm that the GOP will take the blame for the shutdown as it was blamed in 1995. So far it does not seem to be working. His approval is down about 3 points from earlier in the week.

I like Limbaugh's "party" analogy. Your friends all have a party some weekend and it is the most fun time ever. So you decide to do the same thing the next weekend. And the next time it is not half the fun it was the first time.

Much has changed since 1995. Internet usage in the USA is probably 80%+ now when then it was 15-20%. Back then there were just 3 networks + CNN for news, today the lamestream media has had their stranglehold broken. Today the top-rated cable channel for news is fair and balanced and not parroting DNC talking points. Then the GOP had all of Congress today just the House. And Obama is more the lightning rod now whereas then Gingrich was.

Obama's "make it visible and make it hurt" strategy seems to at best not be working and at worst backfiring on him. I don't see him suddenly developing the political skill to move things.
petroglyph
petroglyph
October 4th, 2013 at 12:11:24 PM permalink

Mean just what we said. Iran calls for the destruction of the USA. Calls for destruction of Israel. Major human rights violator. Yes, it is Iran's responsibility to change.

I disagree. Iran does not call for the destruction of any country or people. It disagrees with Zionist policies as well as neocons who think they are the moral compass for the world.

Can't you [we] allow a different opinion in this world. Do you think American exceptionalism is so wonderful it should be forced on everyone?

As an aside here I think I read you have a kid in the military. Don't mistake my opinions on empire as non support for our veterans. I consider myself patriotic and am grateful for their service to our country.

By chance have you read "Smedley Butler war is a racket"? A Marine who received two medals of honor, in separate conflicts. Fascinating read.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 4th, 2013 at 12:14:40 PM permalink
Just be glad Obama doesn't have the ability to shut
down the internet yet, like he's campaigning for. He
would have shut it down immediately, claiming the
person who maintained that dept was laid off during
the shutdown.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 4th, 2013 at 12:36:26 PM permalink

I disagree. Iran does not call for the destruction of any country or people. It disagrees with Zionist policies as well as neocons who think they are the moral compass for the world.

You must not be paying attention. Iran has regularly called fro the destruction of Israel and the USA. The people regularly chant "Death to America" and we have been called "The Great Satan." They have been against the USA since the Shah left.

Quote:

Can't you [we] allow a different opinion in this world. Do you think American exceptionalism is so wonderful it should be forced on everyone?

Any country may have a different opinion if they like, but call for destruction of the USA or our close allies, interfere with our interests....well then be prepared for bad things to happen.

Quote:

As an aside here I think I read you have a kid in the military. Don't mistake my opinions on empire as non support for our veterans. I consider myself patriotic and am grateful for their service to our country.

Not me, no kids.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 4th, 2013 at 12:38:43 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Just be glad Obama doesn't have the ability to shut
down the internet yet, like he's campaigning for. He
would have shut it down immediately, claiming the
person who maintained that dept was laid off during
the shutdown.

I'm surprised he doesn't claim power to shut off the sun based on the fact that sunlight travels through USAF patrolled airspace.

The whole thing is comical. An able leader would do anything to keep things OPEN, and be seen far and wide doing it.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
October 4th, 2013 at 2:21:46 PM permalink
Yeah. I believe a letter to Boehner signed by 80 GOP Congressman essentially stated:

Quote: 80 idiots

"Since most of the citizens we represent believe that ObamaCare should never go into effect, we urge you to affirmatively de-fund the implementation and enforcement of ObamaCare in any relevant appropriations bill brought to the House floor in the 113th Congress, including any continuing appropriations bill.”

James Madison wrote in Federalist No. 58 that the “power over the purse may, in fact, be regarded as the most complete and effectual weapon … for obtaining a redress of every grievance…” We look forward to collaborating to defund one of the largest grievances in our time and to restore patient-centered healthcare in America.

ObamaCare was passed and signed into law 3 years ago and was deemed constitutional by the Supreme Court. There was an election. Obama won. So rather than simply go on with government, it is the GOP that is holding government hostage, and not the other way around. Why should Obama negotiate with hostage-takers?

Only 22% percent of American support a government shutdown to defund ObamaCare, and most Americans blame the GOP Congress, and not Obama. Obama has nothing to lose from a government shutdown because it only gives the Dems more support.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
October 4th, 2013 at 2:49:26 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

ObamaCare was passed and signed into law 3 years ago and was deemed constitutional by the Supreme Court. There was an election. Obama won.

Well, there have been elections in numerous states to ban gay marriage. And they passed. But I don't see any Democrats saying, "Gee, the other side won...let's shut up and go home because we lost!"

So rather than simply go on with government, it is the GOP that is holding government hostage, and not the other way around.

Perhaps they should run away and hide like these spoiled brats:

Democrat state senators flee Wisconsin & hide out in Illinois to avoid vote on budget bill

Democrat state senators flee Texas & hide out in New Mexico to prevent redistricting legislation
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
October 4th, 2013 at 2:50:40 PM permalink

He lives to campaign and not to govern. And he seems to be betting the farm that the GOP will take the blame for the shutdown as it was blamed in 1995. So far it does not seem to be working. His approval is down about 3 points from earlier in the week.

The generic house ballot has shifted about 3 points the other way. So, Obama is less popular but he's term-limited and GOP members of congress are less popular and running for reelection. I think Obama would welcome that combination.

Today is the 4th day of the shutdown. Polling that occurred completely during the post-shutdown period should be coming out today, tomorrow, and monday. Pre-shutdown polling showed that GOP House members would receive a plurality of the blame, followed by Obama and then Reid & Co. It'll be interesting to see if post-shutdown messaging has changed those numbers.
petroglyph
petroglyph
October 4th, 2013 at 3:06:08 PM permalink

Yeah. I believe a letter to Boehner signed by 80 GOP Congressman essentially stated:

ObamaCare was passed and signed into law 3 years ago and was deemed constitutional by the Supreme Court. There was an election. Obama won. So rather than simply go on with government, it is the GOP that is holding government hostage, and not the other way around. Why should Obama negotiate with hostage-takers?

Only 22% percent of American support a government shutdown to defund ObamaCare, and most Americans blame the GOP Congress, and not Obama. Obama has nothing to lose from a government shutdown because it only gives the Dems more support.

You referenced Madison about the power of the purse,
this is also a good one.

"Permit me to issue and control the money of the nation and I care not who writes it's laws".

Mayer Amsched Rothchild
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 4th, 2013 at 5:30:01 PM permalink
Were the Democrats a majority in the House and Romney held the Presidency, and Republicans held the Senate, should Romney cave on some signature action to compromise and bring some progressive legislation forward that no tea partier would ever like?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 4th, 2013 at 6:47:56 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Why are federal workers going to get paid for time lost during the "slowdown"? It is like a free vacation to them and if they are at a minimum not idiots with their finances they will not starve with a missed paycheck or two. This will be over before the debt limit is hit and everyone knows it. The country saves nothing and these people get free time off. What a country!!

It might surprise you to know that as essential gov't employees, we also found that to be a bit hard to take. We HAD to report and work for nothing (as controllers are doing right now) while we went without any of the staff and backup support services, sometimes for weeks. And then those folks got to come back and be paid for their time off. Keeping in mind that it was not their choice to be beached without pay was the only thing that kept people from getting really mean to each other about it.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Mooseton
Mooseton
  • Threads: 14
October 4th, 2013 at 10:41:22 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Were the Democrats a majority in the House and Romney held the Presidency, and Republicans held the Senate, should Romney cave on some signature action to compromise and bring some progressive legislation forward that no tea partier would ever like?

Do you think Mitt Romney would hold his breath, put his fingers in his ears, and kick and stomp his feet at the same time? I believe Romney would negotiate given your hypothetical situation.
$1700, 18, 19, 1920, 40, 60,... :/ Thx 'Do it again'. I'll try
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
October 5th, 2013 at 6:39:22 AM permalink
That's because Mitt Romney has actually run a business before. Obama had never run anything (other than his mouth). If he ran a business the same way he's running the country, it would have gone belly up a long time ago.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
October 5th, 2013 at 6:53:01 AM permalink
Yes, we should run government like a business. We should only do things that produce revenue. Prisons, Roads, Parks, Disaster Relief and Schools are superfluous expenses. Police and Firemen can go work for the wealthy, we don't need them. Clean water and clean air aren't really necessary either.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
October 5th, 2013 at 6:56:03 AM permalink
Really, if liberals in the House told President Romney that they'd only allow the government to continue functioning if he agreed to never take up Keystone XL funding again, agree to strict carbon limits, remove creation from education texts, and also end all oil and gas industry subsidies, he'd negotiate? You guys are dreaming...
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
October 5th, 2013 at 6:56:29 AM permalink
Too bad I didn't say any of that. lol

I was replying specifically to the previous poster about Obama refusing to negotiate. Businessman who pick up their toys and walk away usually don't have very successful businesses.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
October 5th, 2013 at 6:58:13 AM permalink

Really, if liberals in the House told President Romney that they'd only allow the government to continue functioning if he agreed to never take up Keystone XL funding again, agree to strict carbon limits, remove creation from education texts, and also end all oil and gas industry subsidies, he'd negotiate?

If public opinion was totally against him, then yes, he would negotiate.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
October 5th, 2013 at 7:00:32 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

If public opinion was totally against him, then yes, he would negotiate.

None of the items that the GOP has proposed here polls over 50%. Most are in the mid-30s or low 40s. So...why should Obama negotiate?
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
October 5th, 2013 at 7:03:30 AM permalink
Obamacare does not poll over 50%. Also, 70%+ of the people oppose a government shutdown, yet Obama still refuses to negotiate.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
October 5th, 2013 at 7:08:20 AM permalink

Obamacare does not poll over 50%.

Also, 70%+ of the people oppose a government shutdown, yet Obama still refuses to negotiate.

Repealing/delaying Obamacare also does not poll over 50%. And, some of the people (about 5-15% in most polls) of the Obamacare-no responses are from people who want a stronger government run healthcare system.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
October 5th, 2013 at 7:10:43 AM permalink

Obamacare does not poll over 50%. Also, 70%+ of the people oppose a government shutdown, yet Obama still refuses to negotiate.

Yep, 70% of the people oppose a government shutdown. And any time the House GOP decides to fund the government without any additional stipulations, the shutdown can end.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 5th, 2013 at 7:11:35 AM permalink
Quote: Mooseton

Do you think Mitt Romney would hold his breath, put his fingers in his ears, and kick and stomp his feet at the same time? I believe Romney would negotiate given your hypothetical situation.

I think Romney would be finding any way possible to keep as much as possible open. Additionally I do not think he would be constantly antagonizing the other party so they have to take an increasingly harder line to save face.
  • Jump to: