thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
April 28th, 2012 at 10:21:04 AM permalink
Got a hangover in Vegas? Now there's a bus to pick you up, give you an IV of fluids, and set you back on your feet :

Hangover Heaven

I believe it's run by a qualified anesthetist, so maybe our resident one can pass comment on both the ethical and medical facts. At $90 for the base package (on special) it seems a lot to pay for recovery, but if it works, I have had days when when there was not too much money to pay for the dogs in my head to stop barking.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
April 28th, 2012 at 2:16:17 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Got a hangover in Vegas? Now there's a bus to pick you up, give you an IV of fluids, and set you back on your feet :

Hangover Heaven

I believe it's run by a qualified anesthetist, so maybe our resident one can pass comment on both the ethical and medical facts. At $90 for the base package (on special) it seems a lot to pay for recovery, but if it works, I have had days when when there was not too much money to pay for the dogs in my head to stop barking.

Hangovers are multifactorial. But alcohol causes urination to increase at a rate greater than fluid intake, thus people after overdoing often become dehydrated. The IV fluids definitely can help there, as it is difficult to drink as much water as an IV can give you. As far as the vitamins, that may be hocus pocus for a short term hangover remedy, but I'm no expert on that. As far as for nausea, the anti nausea medicine they use is the same potent drug I use every day for my surgical patients. The painkiller is also very potent, almost (but not exactly) a form of IV aspirin. So I would say that what he is doing makes medical sense, but I would bet that the cost will be substantially higher. Unless he has hundreds of patients a day, the van, nurses, equipment, etc... will make it hard to make a profit.
By the way, I am an anesthesiologist. That's a physician who trained 4 more years after medical school. The term 'anesthetist' is often shorthand for a CRNA, or a nurse who trained 2 years after his or her college degree in nursing. That is 6 less years of training, as medical school is 4 years. The man who is running this hangover treatment vehicle is an anesthesiologist.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
April 28th, 2012 at 2:21:58 PM permalink
Apologies, I knew you were a fully qualified (and some) medical man, but hadn't realized the difference between the titles.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
April 28th, 2012 at 3:46:23 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

By the way, I am an anesthesiologist.

From the Golden Girls, Blanche Deveraux:

"[You can] go with an anesthesiologist. But you won't feel anything..."
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373