slackyhacky
slackyhacky
Joined: Jan 18, 2012
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 361
March 26th, 2012 at 9:10:27 AM permalink
So here is my story...

I was playing Shoot to Win (an electronic craps machine that uses real dice) at Gold Strike. I sat down and played for maybe 2.5 hrs, and I never gave any indication when I was going to leave.

By the way, the machine is pretty much in the middle of the casino floor...

Anyway, as soon as I was ready to go, I hit the - cash out - button, and stood up.

Within 2 femptoseconds (and that isn't hyperbole - promise), there was this man standing behind me - holding his hand out, and he said "HI, I'm the manager of something or other, I was wondering if we could take your picture." I had apparently had the largest win as of yet on the machine. (Parenthetically, you can now see my picture on the wall at that place, but not for long because it wasn't that much).

But it all seemed odd and eerie to me. And why were they paying so much attention?

I know casinos do this, but they are so strangely BIG BROTHER - like.

Plus...and completley unrelated - why do so many people smoke in casinos? That part is hard to take.
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
Joined: Aug 11, 2010
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 1246
March 26th, 2012 at 9:19:33 AM permalink
Lol..did it require a W2G??
I sincerely hope you didn't cash out like a $100 ticket, lol
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
slackyhacky
slackyhacky
Joined: Jan 18, 2012
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 361
March 26th, 2012 at 9:53:32 AM permalink
Quote: TIMSPEED

Lol..did it require a W2G??
I sincerely hope you didn't cash out like a $100 ticket, lol



Ha. That would have been funny indeed.

I asked about tax stuff. He said that the machine was different and didn't apply to the $1200 slot payout (that requires the W2G) because it was credits that accumulated over time and not a jackpot - type win, so they don't report it to the IRS.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
March 26th, 2012 at 10:24:23 AM permalink
Quote: slackyhacky

So here is my story...

I was playing Shoot to Win (an electronic craps machine that uses real dice) at Gold Strike. I sat down and played for maybe 2.5 hrs, and I never gave any indication when I was going to leave.

By the way, the machine is pretty much in the middle of the casino floor...

Anyway, as soon as I was ready to go, I hit the - cash out - button, and stood up.

Within 2 femptoseconds (and that isn't hyperbole - promise), there was this man standing behind me - holding his hand out, and he said "HI, I'm the manager of something or other, I was wondering if we could take your picture." I had apparently had the largest win as of yet on the machine. (Parenthetically, you can now see my picture on the wall at that place, but not for long because it wasn't that much).

But it all seemed odd and eerie to me. And why were they paying so much attention?

I know casinos do this, but they are so strangely BIG BROTHER - like.

Plus...and completley unrelated - why do so many people smoke in casinos? That part is hard to take.



It could be that the company sharing the revenue with Gold Strike hires a "pusher" to drum up business or run promo's for the machine, in order to build interest (and hopefully income). Just a guess...

As for the smoking... Alot of gambling is, in a word, "boring". I think smoking gives folks something to do with their hands while waiting for their turn. Also, the brain that is attracted to gambling is often addicted to other things as well.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
March 26th, 2012 at 11:04:51 AM permalink
The game may be undergoing trials in the casino or there may be a three month or six month "after market" wherein they keep track of users and photograph exceptional winners. It probably won't continue for long.
pokerface
pokerface
Joined: May 9, 2010
  • Threads: 12
  • Posts: 514
March 26th, 2012 at 11:05:04 AM permalink
some small or local casinos take photos of any winner (as low as a couple of 100 bucks)
and post them on a wall in the casino or even online.
But you can always decline the "offer".
winning streaks come and go, losing streak never ends.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 206
  • Posts: 10954
March 26th, 2012 at 11:14:14 AM permalink
There's two very important details missing from this story.

1 - How much did you cash out?
2 - What was the buy in?
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧 Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
gambler
gambler
Joined: Jan 11, 2010
  • Threads: 112
  • Posts: 483
March 26th, 2012 at 11:32:41 AM permalink
3 - Did they offer you anything in return for taking your photograph? (Food, comps, etc.)
slackyhacky
slackyhacky
Joined: Jan 18, 2012
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 361
March 26th, 2012 at 1:03:55 PM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

There's two very important details missing from this story.

1 - How much did you cash out?
2 - What was the buy in?



1 - $2.2K
2 - $100
slackyhacky
slackyhacky
Joined: Jan 18, 2012
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 361
March 26th, 2012 at 1:05:05 PM permalink
Quote: gambler

3 - Did they offer you anything in return for taking your photograph? (Food, comps, etc.)



Nope.

But since it is a machine and you use your player card, it adds up a LOT of points.

so I am sure I could have got a free buffet cuz I had a lot of points on there - but we were on our way to vegas and didn't want to stick around.
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
Joined: Aug 11, 2010
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 1246
March 26th, 2012 at 1:05:57 PM permalink
Quote: slackyhacky

1 - $100
2 - $2.2K


I sincerely hope that is supposed to be the other way around...
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
slackyhacky
slackyhacky
Joined: Jan 18, 2012
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 361
March 26th, 2012 at 1:10:54 PM permalink
Quote: slackyhacky

Nope.

But since it is a machine and you use your player card, it adds up a LOT of points.

so I am sure I could have got a free buffet cuz I had a lot of points on there - but we were on our way to vegas and didn't want to stick around.



Oh, then my exceptionally good luck continued in sin city.

I played the same machine in the Riviera (they now have the craps machine there - but with much different rules) and won $170.

Then made 8 bets on march madness games - and won 6.

Then played the craps table 1 more time, and one about $750.

Oh, also, won $80 at a slot machine - which I never do, but we had to play pinball - that game is getting harder to find.

I should have played the lottery.

Of course all my profits went to pay for 1 dinner at the restaurant Switch in the Encore. HOLY CRAP that place is expensive.

Funny thing is the 2$ street taco (next to Encoure - you have to check it out) I got beat the crab legs at Switch.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 206
  • Posts: 10954
March 26th, 2012 at 1:11:22 PM permalink
Quote: slackyhacky

1 - $2.2K
2 - $100



A profit of $2,100? While that's great, congrats and all, but to be hoving over you, ready to do the P.R. thing?

Just how deep in the woods was this place?
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧 Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
slackyhacky
slackyhacky
Joined: Jan 18, 2012
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 361
March 26th, 2012 at 1:11:46 PM permalink
Quote: TIMSPEED

I sincerely hope that is supposed to be the other way around...



ha.

I fixed it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 27480
March 26th, 2012 at 1:32:34 PM permalink
Quote: slackyhacky


Of course all my profits went to pay for 1 dinner at the restaurant Switch in the Encore. HOLY CRAP that place is expensive.



You paid $3K for dinner? Why?

They took your pic because they think you gamed the
machine somehow. Its a way of backing you off and
I'm assuming they'll share the pic with others who have
the same machine. The fact that heat was right behind
you when you cashed out isn't good, they were watching
you for a long time.
It does not suck to be me.
slackyhacky
slackyhacky
Joined: Jan 18, 2012
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 361
March 26th, 2012 at 1:43:53 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

You paid $3K for dinner? Why?

They took your pic because they think you gamed the
machine somehow. Its a way of backing you off and
I'm assuming they'll share the pic with others who have
the same machine. The fact that heat was right behind
you when you cashed out isn't good, they were watching
you for a long time.



No, i didn't pay that - but it felt like that. I'm used to Rubio's and In 'n' Out.

Perhaps that is true, but also, it isn't unreasonable for them to keep pictures of people that do make high payout records. But I know they were wathcing closely - that is why I thought it was so bizarre.

No way i'm NOT going back. I wasn't gaming the machine (not sure how anyone could do that since the dice are not electronic) so have no reason to be 'afraid' of them. I have read about people making electronic devices to cheat slots - that would be impossible in this machine. The dice numbers determine the outcome, and those are not electronic and no intervention is going to change that outcome.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 27480
March 26th, 2012 at 1:52:28 PM permalink
Quote: slackyhacky

But I know they were wathcing closely - that is why I thought it was so bizarre.



You think a crappy casino like Gold Strike likes paying
out $2200 on a machine thats supposed to work just
like a slot? They were wringing their hands watching
you and when you quit when you were ahead, they
crapped their pants. How did he do it, they're saying
among themselves. Lets get his pic, this can't happen
again.
It does not suck to be me.
slackyhacky
slackyhacky
Joined: Jan 18, 2012
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 361
March 26th, 2012 at 2:13:58 PM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear


Just how deep in the woods was this place?



Here is the review on the place

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/las-vegas-casinos/gold-strike/
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 206
  • Posts: 10954
March 26th, 2012 at 2:20:40 PM permalink
Quote: slackyhacky

Here is the review on the place

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/las-vegas-casinos/gold-strike/

I missed the part where the place was named in the first post.

For the record, the web address you provided is for a a forum discussing Gold Strike.

The review is here: https://wizardofvegas.com/hotels/gold-strike/
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧 Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
thecesspit
thecesspit
Joined: Apr 19, 2010
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 5936
March 26th, 2012 at 4:09:37 PM permalink
I played $3 Blackjack in there two years ago. It's only attractive feature was to get a new $1 chip for my friend, and I won about $50. As we were the only two gambling in the pit at the time, we got the pit boss watching, but I didn't consider that "heat".

But I'd be pretty oblivious to anyone standing and watching me play trying to stare me down anyways.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
  • Threads: 97
  • Posts: 4285
December 8th, 2019 at 2:38:51 AM permalink
Seems casinos like to put photographs of winners on their monthly mailers. It's not a beauty contest. It would definitely highlight what can be won on a specific machine. Some regulars would definitely want to be in those photographs. But it seems like such a setup sometimes. Yeah, you'll be in the industry-wide book of winners, which casinos could use against you. A few people prefer their non-W-2G winnings to be not publicized, so there is an option to turn them down; but with the welcome wagon right there to take your picture, it's hard to say no.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 85
  • Posts: 10766
December 8th, 2019 at 7:41:44 AM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Seems casinos like to put photographs of winners on their monthly mailers. It's not a beauty contest. It would definitely highlight what can be won on a specific machine. Some regulars would definitely want to be in those photographs. But it seems like such a setup sometimes. Yeah, you'll be in the industry-wide book of winners, which casinos could use against you. A few people prefer their non-W-2G winnings to be not publicized, so there is an option to turn them down; but with the welcome wagon right there to take your picture, it's hard to say no.



It is easy to say no. Many years ago I won a car at a local casino giveaway and they wanted to take a picture for publicity use. I asked them how much they were going to compensate me and would I get residuals every time they used it. They said no and no, so I said no.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.

  • Jump to: