PopCan
PopCan
  • Threads: 1
February 26th, 2012 at 11:17:01 PM permalink
I have a sick fascination with reading Yahoo Answers' gambling section.

Because of questions like this.

The question:
Quote:

Will my chances of winning the lottery decrease if a family member wins?
If close relative or friend wins, does the chance of me winning decrease? as you are now looking for TWO PERSONS FROM WITHIN THE SAME CIRCLE to pick a winner, both times with huge odds?
Additional Details
surely it is far more unlikely that two people (who know each other) from a friend/family group of say 50, hit the jackpot rather than two people (who are complete strangers) from a group of say 10-12million lottery players?

My answer is from a joke I heard once:

Joe and Bob are sitting next to each other on a plane the day following a plane bombing. Joe is terrified: sweating, chewing his nails, nervously glancing at the other passengers. Bob is leaning back and relaxing with his drink.

Bob: "You really should just relax, Joe, you don't have anything to worry about."
Joe: "How can you be so sure? A plane just blew up yesterday!"
Bob: "Because I put a bomb in my luggage and I'm not planning on using it."
Joe: "Oh my god! Why should that make me relax?"
Bob: "What are the chances TWO people would bring a bomb aboard the same plane?"
thomasgrayson
thomasgrayson
  • Threads: 3
February 27th, 2012 at 7:32:44 PM permalink
Yahoo answers can either help you or give you some wild answers. I really hope that finding these solutions can help you out in the long run. Thanks!
soulhunt79
soulhunt79
  • Threads: 6
February 27th, 2012 at 9:58:44 PM permalink
What Bob doesn't know is that his wife hates him and put a 2nd bomb in his suitcase for him. :)
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 28th, 2012 at 1:24:42 AM permalink
Quote: PopCan

My answer is from a joke I heard once:

Thanks for the story, but it's much much too common. I have a running argument with someone about Tecumseh's curse. The president's who were elected in 1840, 1860, 1880, 1900, 1920, 1940, 1960 all died in office (although not all of them that term). There is only one single exception to the pattern; a president who died in office and was not elected in a zero year.

Millions of people in the USA prayed for Ronald Reagan that he wouldn't die in office and the curse would be broken. But as many people pointed out, when Reagan was shot, he would have died had medicine been in the same state it was when Tecumseh was alive.

argue that once a pattern is established in your mind, you can't attach a statistical probability to it after the fact. But people still believe in the zero year curse.
victorimmature
victorimmature
  • Threads: 0
February 28th, 2012 at 1:44:50 AM permalink
These Yahoo answers are useless.
You can't even find out how to catch a tarantula.
萬歲言論自由。
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
February 28th, 2012 at 2:12:45 AM permalink
Whats worse is that you can't find out why anyone would want to catch a tarantula.

I'd be afraid to ask what they intend to do with the tarantula after they catch it.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
February 28th, 2012 at 8:55:11 AM permalink
Bob's bomb was intended to go off after arriving at is destination in some other place... unless wifey has other plans!

@FleaStiff or why dogs and cats chase scorpions.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
progrocker
progrocker
  • Threads: 4
February 28th, 2012 at 9:04:00 AM permalink
Solo venimos, solo nos vamos. Y aqui nos juntamos, juntos que estamos.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 28th, 2012 at 11:21:49 AM permalink
I think that post about making the babysitter pay child support is from a troll.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 2nd, 2012 at 12:38:08 AM permalink
You've got me checking this out once in a while. Maybe we should around here, I provided the answer to the craps player wanting to hedge his bets under one of my alter-egos.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 2nd, 2012 at 6:44:05 AM permalink
Probably but it may indeed have been originally posted by someone who read the social services guidelines and was really looking for a quick way to get support payments.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 2nd, 2012 at 9:19:59 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Probably but it may indeed have been originally posted by someone who read the social services guidelines and was really looking for a quick way to get support payments.

no doubt she is pre-law
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
  • Jump to: