7 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

7 members have voted

1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
January 2nd, 2012 at 11:35:18 AM permalink
Byron Katie has been mentioned several times here so I decided to read a little about her. Much like the religious threads opinions are divided. Is anyone else familiar with her and if so what do you think?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 2nd, 2012 at 1:17:59 PM permalink
HotBlonde has quoted her lots of times. Just about every time, I disagree with what is being quoted. However, I have never sought self-help in my life, so can't comment about her in a general way. If forced, the only self-help character I like is Richard Simmons.

Out of curiosity, I did a search on Byron Katie and found this interview from the LA times. I found it hard to get the gist of her message from the article, but there was this little bit towards the end:

Quote:

One day, Mitchell, Katie and I go to lunch. The restaurant we choose has a half-hour wait for a table, so we walk to another place. Katie is pleased: This other restaurant is the right one. No disappointment, because she always loves what happens.

Huh? If the second restaurant was the right one why didn't she choose it in the first place? This seems like a denial of reality and having a false sense of happiness. I would be disappointed in either having to wait half an hour or going to a restaurant I liked less.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 2nd, 2012 at 1:39:08 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

HotBlonde has quoted her lots of times. Just about every time, I disagree with what is being quoted. However, I have never sought self-help in my life, so can't comment about her in a general way. If forced, the only self-help character I like is Richard Simmons.

Out of curiosity, I did a search on Byron Katie and found this interview from the LA times. I found it hard to get the gist of her message from the article, but there was this little bit towards the end:

Huh? If the second restaurant was the right one why didn't she choose it in the first place? This seems like a denial of reality and having a false sense of happiness. I would be disappointed in either having to wait half an hour or going to a restaurant I liked less.

Sounds kind of Panglossian to me.
A falling knife has no handle.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 2nd, 2012 at 1:51:49 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

HotBlonde has quoted her lots of times. Just about every time, I disagree with what is being quoted.

Katie has a lot of men followers, but its mostly
women who are attracted to her. Women tend
to drive themselves nuts over little things much
more than men do. TV shows with women leads,
like Tina Fey in 30 Rock, and Julia Louis Dreyfus
in New/Old Christine, capitalize on these foibles
for big laughs. Women play the woulda/coulda/
shoulda game a lot more than men do. Katie
shows them how to dump the baggage and get
on with it. Don't agrue with 'what is', just accept
it and get on with your life.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
August 16th, 2013 at 8:23:23 AM permalink
Byron Katie's name has appeared a couple of times in the William Shatner thread so I thought I'd resurrect this old post and poll. Any followers among us?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
  • Jump to: