"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 17th, 2011 at 4:05:43 AM permalink
Quote: NYTimes

Johnny Depp: Pay Me ‘Stupid Money’ and I’ll Keep Making Pirates
10/4/11
Why does Johnny Depp continue to make Pirates of the Caribbean movies? Is it for love of the character, or the desire to tell more stories in that world? Well ... "Basically, if they're going to pay me the stupid money right now, I'm going to take it," Depp admits in the new issue of Vanity Fair. "I have to. I mean, it's not for me. Do you know what I mean? At this point, it's for my kids. It's ridiculous, yeah, yeah. But ultimately is it for me? No. No. It's for the kids." In fact, Depp has always been friendly to easy money, and he says that back when he first started out in Los Angeles, he attended Scientology study groups simply because they paid $3 per meeting. "I went to a bunch, man. It was so great, it was so fantastic." The things our movie stars used to do for money (or sandwiches)!

Sean Connery played James Bond 7 times. The three kids in Harry Potter played their part for 8 movies. The Twilight Vampires movies will number 5 in five years. If tey are still popular they may persuade the author to write more books or simply a screenplay.

Forbes on 1 August 2011 reviewed salaries for 2010. While Johnny Depp topped the 2009 with $75 million, Leonardo DiCaprio jumps from fifth to first place to beat Depp for the first time. Over the past year Depp earned $50 million to DiCaprio’s $77 million. Depp will probably certainly regain the top place for the year 2011 when it is compiled next summer since he made a rumored $75 million for the 4th POC movie alone.

Leonardo DiCaprio made $77 million Between Shutter Island and Inception, DiCaprio had an excellent 2010. Lately he's mostly been in the press for dating Blake Lively. But later this year he'll star in J. Edgar, a film about the famous FBI director. Clint Eastwood directs which means the film is already getting Oscar buzz.

With sequels and remakes completely dominating the box office this year, along with some costly Disney failures, I would say that Disney will be reluctant to mess with it's tentpole and replace Johnny Depp with another actor. He is clearly in line to be the first actor to make over $100 million from the 5th installment.

Mel Gibson may have made well over $200 million from Passion of the Christ which he did not act in.

Jim Caviezel received an unknown salary, and claims the notoriety has actually hurt his career. Maia Morgenstern (Romanian film actress) who played Mary was not a major international film star, and does not appear to have been particularly hurt or helped in her ability to make money.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 17th, 2011 at 1:10:05 PM permalink
Johnny Depp has long said that the gravy movies allow
him free rein to do the smaller pictures he really wants
to do that probably won't make any money. One of my
fave's of his is Ninth Gate, I've seen it ten times. The
movie has a real feel to it that you don't get in other
movies, it very well done.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
  • Jump to: