In the 60's, you could get virtually any model car
with a ragtop. Caddies, Lincolns, Edsel's, Belair's,
Newport's, you name it, and it came with a
convertible top. In the summer of 1969 I had a
'62 Nova convertible and I hated the thing. I didn't
like the sun on me or the wind blowing on me
or the bugs or having to lock everything in the
trunk or put the top up when I went into the
store. I never understood the coolness of convertibles.
The only people I see driving them today are old
guys with bald heads. And they don't look cool.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 9th, 2011 at 10:00:16 PM permalink
Drop tops here seem to be driven by forty plus year old ladies and men going through a mid life crisis.

They aren't very pratical on the rain coast, so I suspect a lot are driven as second cars... Which requires a certain income level.

I think they can be cool and fun, but I'd not buy one, just like to play with one occasionally.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 9th, 2011 at 11:12:21 PM permalink
My opinion? Nothing short of an absolute abomination. Something like your pic is a cool car. If you lived in the Keys or Emerald Isle in NC, it'd be a nice car to lay back, soak up some sun, have people see you and cruise at 15mph. Maybe hit up Clifton Hill in the Falls and troll for honeys.

With cars, I'm not laid back. I don't like sunburn. I don't want people staring at me and I have a wife. My toys are about performance, and a convertible is a turd. Heavy bits in front, heavy bits in back, and only a floor to hold it all together? A wobby, careening turn. Either that or you put a bunch of stiffening beams in it, weight it down all to hell, and STILL have it wobblier than a coupe. Nope, to hell with all that mess.

Coupe or die. It's not even a question.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 9th, 2011 at 11:47:39 PM permalink
Now this is a cool car, I'd drive around in this.

boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
October 9th, 2011 at 11:50:52 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Maybe hit up Clifton Hill in the Falls and troll for honeys.

Well, that's your first problem right there!!!

We need to have a poll of whether EvenBob's the most crotchedly member of this forum. He seems to have a dislike for just about everything.

But seriously, I like convertibles, but where I live (Canada) I wouldn't want one as I would have the hood on 9 months of the year. California's a different story.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Face
Administrator
Face
October 10th, 2011 at 12:25:44 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Well, that's your first problem right there!!!

LOL! Edit: I was thinking of my 17-19yr old self. The today-me would be immediately relegated to creeper status doing that.

Yes EB, that car is a proper convertable, and a proper convertable is that type of car. I don't want one, but it works. Same with MrV's 456 or the nowadays 612 Scag. But everytime I see any Italian supercar with the "Spyder" surname, or '68 Z-28 "conv", or '72 Challenger R/T "conv", a piece of my soul dies. It's like seeing a beautiful girl with goddamn sleeve tats and duckface lip collagen. I just want to scream "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!" It's an absolute tragedy.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 10th, 2011 at 12:38:08 AM permalink
My uncle had a 1960 Dodge Polara in 1966. It had a dual quad
383 that just screamed from 0-60mph. I drove it a few times and
it scared me to death. It got about 10mpg and would only run
on Sunoco 260, which was basically racing fuel. He would let
me drive it if I waxed it for him. It was fun to wax these cars,
you could get a mirror like finish on the paint. There are lots of
guys here who remember the 50's and 60's cars and how exciting
September was, when next years models came out. We thought
it would last forever. The reason you hear so many car songs
from the 60's is, we were really into these cars. We loved them,
we worshiped them. We desperately wanted them.

FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 10th, 2011 at 5:41:47 AM permalink
Dealers in Minnesota used to jack their sales up by displaying a convertible in their showroom even though only a fool would buy a convertible for use in a Minnesota winter.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 10th, 2011 at 6:36:39 AM permalink
I always thought convertibles were a car company's way of selling you less car for more money.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Alan
Alan
  • Threads: 17
October 10th, 2011 at 7:22:30 AM permalink
Typically they have to beef up the frame to make up for the lack of any top structure. Whether you consider it less or not is your call.

My observation is that they're cool with:
Older men(60+), gay men(any age) and women(any age).
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
October 10th, 2011 at 8:08:52 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

The only people I see driving them today are old
guys with bald heads.

Well, suicidal murdering chicks dig em, too.

T&L
"What, me worry?"
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
October 10th, 2011 at 9:30:20 AM permalink
There's nothing like driving a convertible, whether it's sunny out or not. I have two cars, and they're both ragtops; BMW M roadster and Jeep Wrangler.

I also have the optional hardtop for the M.

I agree that when a carmaker offers the same model in coupe or conv, the coupe always looks better, as in the Porsche 911 or BMW M6 for example. Guess it matters whether the car was conceived as a coupe then the top was cut off a few years later to increase sales like what most often happens, or whether the car was designed as a roadster like the BMWs Z3 or Z4, then coupe version added later. Z3 coupe looks like a clownshoe.

"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
kp
kp
  • Threads: 7
October 10th, 2011 at 10:25:44 AM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

Z3 coupe looks like a clownshoe.

No kidding. They ruined a beautiful car.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
October 10th, 2011 at 10:53:55 AM permalink
Who cares. I have one, I love it, and I don't spend any time thinking about what others think about it.

Turn 2, south infield course, 105mph.

A falling knife has no handle.
kp
kp
October 10th, 2011 at 11:34:12 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Who cares. I have one, I love it, and I don't spend any time thinking about what others think about it.

Same here. I think the reason that old men drive convertibles is that it takes a few years to gain the wisdom where you don't care excessively about how others perceive you.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
October 10th, 2011 at 12:09:41 PM permalink
I have owned two convertibles in my life, Mazda Miata both times. A 1993 model and a 1999 model each purchased new. I drove them primarily as commuter cars, since I saw no reason to have something bigger when I was to be the only passenger. Prior to the first Miata, I drove a Pontiac Fiero to work. During that entire period I also owned larger vehicles as the family cars. My wife and I made a few trips in the Fiero and Miatas and adjusted to the minimal luggage capacity. I enjoyed the Miata top-down experience when the weather was appropriate. My comment at the time was that a guy like me needs as much cuteness as he can get, but in reality it was never the opinions of others that came into play.
MrV
MrV
October 10th, 2011 at 2:12:08 PM permalink
Speaking of clownshoes ...

Get in touch with YOUR inner Bozo ...

"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 10th, 2011 at 2:13:19 PM permalink
Looks like something they'd love in France or Spain.
Face
Administrator
Face
October 10th, 2011 at 3:43:27 PM permalink
I actually like that "mini wagon" Z4, and that Ferrari. Kind of a hot hatch. I've seen worse. Case in point...

Italy - home of some of the most outlandishly boss cars ever created. Style, grace, soul, these are words to describe Italian cars.
Fiat - Made an incredible array of quality European small cars, most notably the 500 Abarth.
So how in Christ's name can this monstrosity be unleashed on an unsuspecting public? Challenge - find one good quality of the Multipla.

Back on topic, yes zippy, I agree that the MX5, Z3 and Wrangler are proper drop tops. I think the arguement that whatever a car was made for is how it should be holds water. While visually I like your Z3 better as hard top, I don't choke in disgust when I see it open. It just looks normal. And the MX5 just looks "wrong" as a coupe. I was thinking more along the lines of Bob's Nova, or a '69 Firebird, or Viper RT/10 vs GTS. Cutting roofs off of these is like ketchup on kobe beef, wrong on so many levels.

It was fun to wax these cars,
you could get a mirror like finish on the paint. There are lots of
guys here who remember the 50's and 60's cars and how exciting
September was, when next years models came out. We thought
it would last forever. The reason you hear so many car songs
from the 60's is, we were really into these cars. We loved them,
we worshiped them. We desperately wanted them.

Back off topic, tell us what it was like, Uncle Bob ;) I feel cheated. Growing up in the '80's, my old man had a '72 'Cuda and my mom a late '70's Cobra. Grandpa had a Delta 88 for what seemed like eternity. I remember him always saying "wipers and wheels, that's all I ever put into this car". Same went for the parents hotrods. Pops went through tires yearly, the only "repair" I remember on the Cobra is the packing wore out of the muffler and it shot fire if you revved it really high. Doors shut with an epic "ka-CHUNK'. To this day, the smell of old vinyl makes me dizzy with nostalgia, I just kind of blank out into dream world. If you actually needed to work on them, everything was where it was supposed to be, and any tool you needed could be found at your local Sears and Roebuck.

In my day, it's turd after turd after turd. Low power, shoddy craftsmanship, just totally soulless. Utilitarian vehicles, the point A to point B types, fall all to hell within a few years. Even at the top of the pile, like a Corvette ZR1, it's all plastic, the interior is trash...cars nowadays just seem to be like a lot of other things American - disposable. And God help you if you need to fix something yourself. Pretty soon even putting a seat cover on will require a diagnostic connection. I started life with a whiff of what you described. I ache for it to return.
Mosca
Mosca
October 10th, 2011 at 4:15:21 PM permalink
The downside to cars of that era, at least in the northeast, was that they'd be rusted out in less than 10 years.

Cars today are better than they've ever been, even the turds. The absolute worst cars made today (for my money, Chrysler Sebring) are better than the best American made cars of the '60s. They're safer, more reliable, more comfortable, have more power, handle better, brake better, give better road feel and feedback, get better gas mileage, require less maintenance... I could go on and on.

We like to put on the rose colored glasses. And those cars look great. But if you had to live with one for a month, even assuming that it didn't need any maintenance, you'd change your mind in a hurry.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
October 10th, 2011 at 4:44:08 PM permalink
Some people are convertible people and some are not, I am. I attribute this to the first family car I remember being a 1966 Chrysler Newport. Just plain big and styled so it looks even longer than it already is. I had a Falcon Convertible briefly and my dad still has it. Later I had an 88 LeBaron Convertible. Total piece of junk, but loved the styling and that it was not some little Miata thing.

I will concede they are not as popular as they used to be. Some younger folk I have met were almost afraid to ride in them and certainly to own them because they "are not as safe." This makes me want to own another even more.

What we need is for there to be some the size of the discontinued Solara. Most convertibles are too small or too expensive. If I really had the cash I'd buy a 1960s mid size or large one and have all the underpinnings updated, along with making the interior more modern comforts but have a vintage look.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Face
Administrator
Face
October 10th, 2011 at 5:31:03 PM permalink
The downside to cars of this era, at least in the northeast, is they rust out after 3. When I bought my truck I took 1.5 hours to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Inside door sills, under floor mats, engine compartment, welds, crawled underneath it, making a checklist of every fault I'd ever seen on every car I had ever owned. I repeated this process 6 TIMES before questioning the few issues and deeming it satisfactory. 7 months and 1 winter later, every door sill is cancered with rust, the bumper chrome is bubbling, and every 2 months I'm out with the grinder and the sealer, spending the majority of a day trying to keep it alive.

You have a point with the meat of your post. A 2011 TDi Golf could probably blow the doors off a '71 hemi Cuda hotlapping around Watkins Glen. I guess my beef is with the intangibles. Take your MX5 for example. I remember you posting on it in a car thread I made months ago, about tweaking and playing around with it. You showed pics in this one hotlapping Pocono. I'm sure there's a place in your heart with "MX5" stamped on it. You probably look at it and smile. You probably look forward to driving it. It has SOUL. I, personally, can not find this in modern American cars. Take the new retro line. I'm not a Ford guy, but Eleanor was a beast. Bullitt was a beast. New Mustang? Totally meh. A '68 RS or Z-28 is jerkoff city, if you'll pardon the expression. The new one? Bleh. When I see a '70-'74 Challenger I just want to run my tongue from bumper to bumper, stick my head in the window and breathe in the entire contents of the interior. The new one is just flat. It's snakeskin, it gives you an impression of what it is, what it was, but the essence is missing.

I want THAT back. I don't want leaded gas, 8 miles to a gallon, drum brakes and all that mess. I want improvement on all fronts. Put some heart back into design. I can't use Ferrari as an example because that would be comparing apples to orgasms, but take BMW. Look at their progression both technically and asthetically, it just goes up and up and up. I don't see that here. If you can find an American car that rivals a BMW, I'll give you a cookie. You can compare them by class (4dr sedan vs 4dr sedan) or by price ($45,000 vs $45,000). Either way, you won't find an American win.
ncfatcat
ncfatcat
October 10th, 2011 at 5:48:01 PM permalink
As an old bald guy with actinic keratosis I vote no on the convertibles.
Gambling is a metaphor for life. Hang around long enough and it's all gone.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
October 10th, 2011 at 5:50:32 PM permalink

When I see a '70-'74 Challenger I just want to run my tongue from bumper to bumper, stick my head in the window and breathe in the entire contents of the interior. The new one is just flat. It's snakeskin, it gives you an impression of what it is, what it was, but the essence is missing.

That was beautifully put Face. You nailed it. I'm tearing up.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 10th, 2011 at 5:51:58 PM permalink
'57 Chevy, '62 Imperial, '59 T-Bird, '55 T-Bird.

ncfatcat
ncfatcat
October 10th, 2011 at 5:57:23 PM permalink
Old T-Birds ooooohhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gambling is a metaphor for life. Hang around long enough and it's all gone.
Mosca
Mosca
October 10th, 2011 at 6:44:32 PM permalink

The downside to cars of this era, at least in the northeast, is they rust out after 3. When I bought my truck I took 1.5 hours to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Inside door sills, under floor mats, engine compartment, welds, crawled underneath it, making a checklist of every fault I'd ever seen on every car I had ever owned. I repeated this process 6 TIMES before questioning the few issues and deeming it satisfactory. 7 months and 1 winter later, every door sill is cancered with rust, the bumper chrome is bubbling, and every 2 months I'm out with the grinder and the sealer, spending the majority of a day trying to keep it alive.

Did you buy it new? If so, let me guess: Dodge Ram. The mid 2000s trucks have a bad bed rust issue, especially over the rear wheels.

Fords, Chevys, they have their issues but body rust isn't one of them. (Chevys, the brake backing plates will rust though.)

The part about the soul, I agree with you. I'm not sure I'd make the trade, all the benefits in exchange for the personality, but I agree with you, cars today have no personality.
Face
Administrator
Face
October 10th, 2011 at 7:09:33 PM permalink

Did you buy it new? If so, let me guess: Dodge Ram. The mid 2000s trucks have a bad bed rust issue, especially over the rear wheels.

Fords, Chevys, they have their issues but body rust isn't one of them. (Chevys, the brake backing plates will rust though.)

The part about the soul, I agree with you. I'm not sure I'd make the trade, all the benefits in exchange for the personality, but I agree with you, cars today have no personality.

Yes and no. I HAD a Ram 1500 hemi, 2005. And yup, the bumper rusted, the bed rusted, the exhaust rusted right through (what a sound!) It ended up blowing up, catastrophic piston grenadation at 72,000 miles, just past the #%@^ 7/70 powertrain warranty. I currently have a Silverado. The undercarriage still looks quite good, and overall it is heads and tails above the Ram, but the insta-rust of the door sills really got my goat. Living in Buffalo I am going to have a car payment for the rest of my life, I just can't get them to last. So no, I NEVER buy new, I just can't. And bingo on the Chevy brakes. I'm looking to upgrade since they were junk within 5,000 miles.

I hope now it is realized my post was mostly over-passionate nostalgia. Of course, like you, I wouldn't trade the ease for the personality. Especially with winter coming, it's nice to hop in and go and know I'm going to make it, as opposed to a required 15 minute warm up, flooding issues, and navigating 8in of snow with leaf springs and bias ply tires. I just think that rather than having to "trade one for another", we should have both. There's no reason we shouldn't.

We need to import more Germans. ;)
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 10th, 2011 at 8:30:41 PM permalink

Especially with winter coming, it's nice to hop in and go and know I'm going to make it, as opposed to a required 15 minute warm up, flooding issues,

In the early 60's my dad had a '59 Pontiac wagon. It
was a beast to start in the winter. It had the big 389,
with a huge 4 barrel carb. The air cleaner was 2ft
across. He finally installed a radiator heater that he
plugged in from the house a half hour before he left.
It made a huge difference, but you still had to have
a can of instant start spray close at hand.

PeteM
PeteM
  • Threads: 4
October 10th, 2011 at 10:00:07 PM permalink
I'm curious. Where was that picture taken? The license plate looks European. Was your dad an American serviceman stationed overseas? I was :)
"Win with a smile, lose with grace."
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 10th, 2011 at 10:01:44 PM permalink
Quote: PeteM

I'm curious. Where was that picture taken? The license plate looks European. Was your dad an American serviceman stationed overseas? I was :)

That looks like his car, I got it off the net.
Face
Administrator
Face
October 10th, 2011 at 10:18:05 PM permalink
My dad was faster than your dad ;)

It literally brings tears to my eyes. Both of joy, but also in knowing that my son will never really know the joy of a GOOD ol' American car.

My life's been lacking a decent long term goal/challenge. I think I just found one...
Mosca
Mosca
October 11th, 2011 at 7:40:45 AM permalink
I know this has drifted a little bit off of convertibles, but...

My dad wasn't a car guy at all. Not even a little bit. He washed the car twice a year; once before going on vacation, and once in the spring, around Easter. But he always bought either a big sedan or full sized wagon, and he got the biggest motor he could get (he called it a motor, not an engine). So, we had...

a '63 Bonneville convertible with a 421 tri-power (!!!) This car didn't last long, the engine wouldn't stay tuned, and it got traded for... a '65 Bonny convertible with a 421 4bbl

a '64 Buick LeSabre wagon with a 401 4bbl
a '64 Olds '98 with a 394 4bbl
a '69 Mercury Colony Park with a 429 4bbl
a '71 Buick Estate Wagon with a 455 4bbl

As an aside: of course these cars are long gone in the past, just memories. Then, one day I was having fun on Facebook, and I came across a group called "I Walked to Mowry Park". And in the group, some people posted pictures, and in one of those pictures... is one of my dad's old cars, the '65 Bonneville convertible. What are the odds of that?

MrV
MrV
October 11th, 2011 at 8:21:23 AM permalink
Quote: ncfatcat

Wherever you go - There you are

Actually, it's "No matter where you go, there you are."- B. Banzai

nomatter

*this PSA brought to you by the Accuracy In Internet Sigs Assoc.*
"What, me worry?"
Face
Administrator
Face
October 11th, 2011 at 11:25:21 AM permalink

...a '63 Bonneville convertible with a 421 tri-power (!!!) This car didn't last long, the engine wouldn't stay tuned, and it got traded for... a '65 Bonny convertible with a 421 4bbl

a '64 Buick LeSabre wagon with a 401 4bbl
a '64 Olds '98 with a 394 4bbl
a '69 Mercury Colony Park with a 429 4bbl
a '71 Buick Estate Wagon with a 455 4bbl

As an aside: of course these cars are long gone in the past, just memories. Then, one day I was having fun on Facebook, and I came across a group called "I Walked to Mowry Park". And in the group, some people posted pictures, and in one of those pictures... is one of my dad's old cars, the '65 Bonneville convertible. What are the odds of that?

Just look at 'em! Boats were never my thing and certainly wouldn't work today, but just look at 'em. They just have character, not a boring one in the bunch. There's a reason Stephen King uses the cars he does in books like Christine and The Dark Half. "She was a '95 Chevy Malibu" just doesn't cut it ;)

While my dad had that 'Cuda pictured above (exactly the same except for the side stripe) my uncle had this...

His was the same deep purple, same shaker hood, but it was a white rag top convertable with white interior, and had the 440 sixpack instead of the pictured hemi. While my pop's was a daily driver, this thing was a show car. I distincly remember checking it out in the garage when he would tinker on it; you could see the overspray on the inside of the engine compartment, you could read every number and letter on the spark plug wires, the chrome looked like liquid metal with not a scratch or pit in it. My uncle died of a heart attack in his 50's in about '91. My aunt put it up for sale for $15k (/gasp). This was before the late 90's boom, e-bay, Barrett-Jackson and all that. It sat for a few months before she needed it gone to move to Fla., and she dumped it for Eight Thousand Dollars ><. The mileage was in the teens, maybe low 20k. That car today could easily fetch $70K or more.

My kingdom for a time machine.
neilhank202
neilhank202
  • Threads: 0
October 13th, 2011 at 11:23:59 PM permalink
I think convertible will always be a cool car to go along with, It’s like Mustangs and SUVs. My favorite one is Opel GT convertible cars.
Jimbeau
Jimbeau
  • Threads: 0
November 4th, 2012 at 3:49:22 PM permalink
I just stumbled onto this forum by accident, but I have your answer for you, regarding WHY convertibles were popular "way back when".
AIR CONDITIONING !
I am old enough to remember life without it, and life was totally different. Before AC became affordable and common somewhere around the 70's (in homes, cars and at work), summer life everywhere in the country east of the Rockies was frequently miserable. Families used to almost universally go 'north' at vacation time to escape the heat & humidity. Camping in the woods north of wherever you lived was popular, because the trees would shield you from the heat. The uber-rich went to areas where they could carve out palacial estates for themselves (in places like Bar Harbor in Maine for the Rockefellers) to escape the heat. Convertibles for the way to make driving tolerable on a hot, windless day. Today, other than the cache of a convertible, almost every sane person would choose a nice, quiet, air conditioned ride.
Sincerely,
Gramps
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
November 4th, 2012 at 3:57:34 PM permalink
Quote: Jimbeau

I just stumbled onto this forum by accident, but I have your answer for you, regarding WHY convertibles were popular "way back when".
AIR CONDITIONING !
I am old enough to remember life without it, and life was totally different. Before AC became affordable and common somewhere around the 70's (in homes, cars and at work), summer life everywhere in the country east of the Rockies was frequently miserable. Families used to almost universally go 'north' at vacation time to escape the heat & humidity. Camping in the woods north of wherever you lived was popular, because the trees would shield you from the heat. The uber-rich went to areas where they could carve out palacial estates for themselves (in places like Bar Harbor in Maine for the Rockefellers) to escape the heat. Convertibles for the way to make driving tolerable on a hot, windless day. Today, other than the cache of a convertible, almost every sane person would choose a nice, quiet, air conditioned ride.
Sincerely,
Gramps

I don't see it as a one or the other thing. Beating hot sunny day, yeah, I will put on the A/C. But convertibles do not cool you off on such days, they are actually hotter than the shade of the roof. A convrtible is for cruising down the road in a relaxing way. Those who don't "get" convertibles never will, and most convertible owners couldn't care less if they do. I have always liked them, probably because the first family car I remember was one.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
bigpete88
bigpete88
  • Threads: 23
November 4th, 2012 at 4:00:55 PM permalink
Convertible cool??? Hell yes!! When I had a lot of $$ (past tense for now) and lived in Los Angeles, I was driving a Porsche Turbo convertible. Triple black. I have had a handful of Mercedes 500sl here in Florida but I find them a tad bit small as I am 6 feet tall. I am going to get another convertible as it really brightens the day when you drop that top. Cheers me up on a nice day anyway :-).
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 4th, 2012 at 4:08:10 PM permalink
Quote: Jimbeau

AIR CONDITIONING !

Yup. In the 60's, just about every model of car
was available as a ragtop. The few cars that
had air cond in the late 60's found it was very
unreliable. On a long trip it would always quit
working and you carried a case of freon in the
trunk to recharge the unit. A convertible was a
cool ride on hot days, unless the sun was out all
the time and then it was worse than having the
top up.

FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
November 4th, 2012 at 4:09:22 PM permalink
We get about 9 months of "convertible weather" here so of course we have one. I'm not fond of riding with the top down since I have long hair and it stings when it gets whipped into your face and neck, but my daughter begs to ride in it whenever she gets the chance!
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
ewjones080
ewjones080
  • Threads: 33
November 4th, 2012 at 4:18:40 PM permalink
I've always thought convertibles are ruined by the top when it's up. But I've got Honda Civic Coupe with sunroof. I like the sunroof, gives you a little bit of that cruising feeling of convertible on a bright spring afternoon, but doesn't ruin the look of the car.
bigpete88
bigpete88
  • Threads: 23
November 4th, 2012 at 4:24:32 PM permalink
Quote: ewjones080

I've always thought convertibles are ruined by the top when it's up. But I've got Honda Civic Coupe with sunroof. I like the sunroof, gives you a little bit of that cruising feeling of convertible on a bright spring afternoon, but doesn't ruin the look of the car.

They have hard top convertibles now too. I never minded the look of a rag top. Everyone is different.

I have a sunroof in my car now but it does not have 20% of the feel of that drop top. Maybe just me :-)

You guys have me craving for another convertible so I will get one. Thanks :-)
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
November 4th, 2012 at 4:26:24 PM permalink

Yup. In the 60's, just about every model of car
was available as a ragtop. The few cars that
had air cond in the late 60's found it was very
unreliable. On a long trip it would always quit
working and you carried a case of freon in the
trunk to recharge the unit. A convertible was a
cool ride on hot days, unless the sun was out all
the time and then it was worse than having the
top up.

Wow! That looks like a '59 Olds complete with continental kit.

You young'uns are going to have to Google that one.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 4th, 2012 at 4:47:04 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Wow! That looks like a '59 Olds complete with continental kit.

The old ragtops had heavy beefed up bodies
because there was no roof support. They
floated down the highway on heavy duty
leaf springs and shocks. The ride was so
smooth it was like magic, compared to modern
cars where you can feel every pebble on
the road. New cars handle better and corner
better, but you give up a lot of comfort for that.
  • Jump to: