Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 20th, 2011 at 3:19:05 AM permalink
Anybody see the cross talk about this movie? Starring Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig, two of of my fave actors. Executive producer, Steven Spielberg. One of the producers is Ron Howard. Directed by Jon Favreau, who did both Ironman movies. I'm actually excited about this movie. Everybody connected with this movie, even the screen writers, are all major players in the movie biz. What this means is, they all heard the concept, read or collaborated on the script, and all agreed it could be a major winner. I'm ready for a classic, something I'll watch 15 times in 3 years on DVD. Like the Jason Bourne movies. Go and read about it, the talent connected to this is mind boggling.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 20th, 2011 at 4:17:20 AM permalink
Well, I like the idea of it. Cowboys and Aliens. That's like two of my favorite genres.

I mean, once you introduce aliens to a script - heck, you've jump off into fantasy or science fiction, anyway. Might as well have cowboys in it.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
July 20th, 2011 at 7:58:47 AM permalink
No one thought Indiana Jones was going to do anything either. This can be that or it can be Ishtar. I hope it's Indiana Jones.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
July 20th, 2011 at 8:06:40 AM permalink
I must admit the trailers wet my appetite and I'll probably go.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
July 20th, 2011 at 9:33:34 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Starring Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig, two of of my fave actors.

Well then, you won't want to miss Daniel Craig on Leno tonight.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 20th, 2011 at 9:49:13 AM permalink
Any idea what the movie's about?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
July 20th, 2011 at 3:02:49 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Any idea what the movie's about?

The story is based on a graphic novel idea that mixes alien invaders with the old West. I suspect there will be a father who has to rescue his son (a common storyline).

Read more on the inception here.

Let us not forget that Olivia Wilde (House's "Thirteen") is also in it....

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Nareed
Nareed
July 20th, 2011 at 3:21:33 PM permalink
Seriously, that forehead can be used to bounce messages to the Moon (and back). The hairstyle compliments the shape of her face, and her features are to die for, but she'd look a lot better with bangs of some sort, as she has appeared lately in the TV show. But Iguess it's not her forehead you're looking at...

Thanks for the plot. I've bene disappointed with comic book movies before, like Watchmen.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 20th, 2011 at 3:47:07 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Thanks for the plot. I've bene disappointed with comic book movies before, like Watchmen.

The Watchmen film was fantastic considering the material was so dense and layered. Rorschach was exceptionally well done.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
July 20th, 2011 at 3:53:13 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

The Watchmen film was fantastic considering the material was so dense and layered. Rorschach was exceptionally well done.

I never read the comic book, but I'll take your word for it.

The movie was very successful visually, and the acting was mostly good. My problem was with the villain's actions, the acquiescence of those who should ahve stopepd him (except The Question, I mean Rorschach), and the near endless flashbacks that kept getting in the way of the story. The best I can say about it is that the parallel universe it created felt real and credible. I'm glad I saw it, but I wouldn't see it again.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 20th, 2011 at 4:21:26 PM permalink
All the characters are meant to be based on Golden Age heroes... though Watchmen is before the Question was reinvented in the mid 80's. I'm not really a comic book nerd, but the Watchmen is a fantastic book and worth reading.

And you probably are missing something at the denouement that explains the characters acquiescence.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
July 20th, 2011 at 4:31:30 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

All the characters are meant to be based on Golden Age heroes...

I know, or I've heard something about it anyway.

Quote:

I'm not really a comic book nerd, but the Watchmen is a fantastic book and worth reading.

Growing up there was a newstand at the corner and we'd buy lots and lots of comic books. All I ever read, though, were things like The Archies, Blondie, Donald Duck and things like that. I never went for the superhero comics. later I came to like some superhero movies and cartoons, but still never developed any desire to read comic books <shrug>

Quote:

And you probably are missing something at the denouement that explains the characters acquiescence.

I understood why they went along with whatsisname, I just think they were wrong. there was one great line near the ending, though "Do you believe I'd tell you my plans if there was any chance you'd stop them?" or words to that effect. It's always a good idea to go along tiwh the cliche and then twist it around.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 20th, 2011 at 4:35:28 PM permalink
I can't believe they're making a movie out of the Stephen King 'Gunslinger' series. I read all those books over the years and I guess they'll just take the plot out of the first one and write a script for it. Many of the books in the series were fantastic, but the last couple were a real disappointment. Even though it ended, King is coming out with another one, a flashback book. We'll see..

Oops, just today Universal quit the project with Ron Howard because it was too expensive, a 3 movie deal.

Oh well.

s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
August 5th, 2011 at 8:46:50 AM permalink
I didn't need to be reminded about the Challenger accident but otherwise, it was entertaining.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
ShepherdDon
ShepherdDon
  • Threads: 8
August 6th, 2011 at 6:21:35 AM permalink
Saw the movie Wednesday. If you like Cowboys, you'll probably like this. If you like Aliens, you'll probably like this.

With me, they failed to evoke a feeling of connection to any of the characters and, while it was fun to watch, nobody really tugged at me.

Probably rate it a 3 of 5.

Don
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
August 6th, 2011 at 9:29:54 AM permalink
Quote: ShepherdDon

With me, they failed to evoke a feeling of connection to any of the characters and, while it was fun to watch, nobody really tugged at me.

Ticket sale are about the same as Super 8 but Cowboys and Aliens had a production budget over 3 times as big. It seems destined to be a financial flop.

I found that the movie was excellent at times, but it suddenly get railroaded with an incoherent plot twist or a stupid egalitarian moment where people learn to put aside their differences and co-operate for the good of mankind. That last part got irritating after a while.

The acting is better than the directing in this movie. The screenplay has serious problems.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
August 6th, 2011 at 10:03:10 AM permalink
Cowboys and aliens was disappointing.

It was OK until they stumbled across the lair / space ship of the aliens, then it went to hell in a hand basket: muddled plot, cheesy set, cliched situations.

Too damned bad.
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 23rd, 2012 at 10:04:54 PM permalink
I finally got around to watching this on the net. What
an awful movie. Grade B western meets dumbass aliens.
The story tried really hard to get us interested in these
boring characters. Its like the producers liked the
concept of cowboys and indians and aliens all together
in one movie so much, it didn't matter if the script stank.

What a waste.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
December 23rd, 2012 at 10:44:05 PM permalink
"Oblivion" should be a much better movie.

Oblivion
"What, me worry?"
  • Jump to: