Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
April 15th, 2011 at 5:51:18 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Obviously, it was a settlement. And I got damn near next to nothing. The lawyer told me half a dozen times he got a third and I got THE REST. He never ever said 'you get whats left over after I get paid and the insurance co gets paid.' When I asked State Farm why I got nothing for loss of use, they said I should have had a jury trial! Which my lawyer was vehemently against! This is my last comment on this. You can play your violins for the poor attorney all you like, but he LIED to me, a lie of omission. He knew damn well that if I'd known the truth, I would have had a jury trial. I repeat, why do you think lawyers are considered the scum of the earth? Because they lie, cheat and steal whatever they can under the cover of the law. Duh..

But yet again, why would you think you would get paid by your insurance company for someone else's liability? I will conceded that the attorney might have been better able to explain the settlement, but as others here have said, it is kind of common sense. State Farm would/should have explained it as well at the time of the claim and I would be highly suprised if you did not sign something at the time of the claim stating any further settlement you got from the defendant company would have to be repaid to them.

I will not go so far as to say it should be "common sense" but will say an adult who has been in the world a few years, and espically if you are/were in the business world, it should nor have been a suprise. I am sorry for the loss of use of part of your body and any pain you might be experiencing. But I can see nothing wrong with having to repay State Farm.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
April 15th, 2011 at 6:22:29 AM permalink
Quote:

The lawyer told me half a dozen times he got a third and I got THE REST. He never ever said 'you get whats left over after I get paid and the insurance co gets paid.'

You keep saying this. But State Farm did pay you. You did get the money. Why do you keep subtracting it from the settlement amount? You know it reminds me of an old math puzzle, that goes like this ...

- I work about 2080 hours per year
- I sleep about 2920 hours
- 2496 hours are weekends
- About 360 hours are holidays
- 730 hours spent on commuting
- About a week per year (168 hours) I am sick,
etc.
Now, adding this all together is 8754 hours per year, out of total of 8760. This leaves just 6 hours per year for my vacation!

Quote: EvenBob

When I asked State Farm why I got nothing for loss of use, they said I should have had a jury trial! Which my lawyer was vehemently against!

Well, when I ask people what to do about problems with my back, they tell me to go see a Chinese guy, that inserts needles into certain points in the body, and does wonders with that. My doctor is "vehemently against it" too ... as in saying it's all a load of bull crap, and says that I should get a steroid shot. For almost every question you ask, you usually can get at least two different opinions, so it all boils down to who to listen. I am usually inclined to listen more to professionals than laymen.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
  • Jump to: