SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
January 5th, 2011 at 4:37:28 PM permalink
2350 is quite an excellent player. I think I peaked at around 1600 almost 40 years ago. I make mkl 1-5 favorite. I make the Wiz 3-1. Nightfly 4 - 1. I'll put me at 100-1. I'll put Jerry Logan at..... only kidding.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
January 5th, 2011 at 4:45:10 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

2350 is quite an excellent player. I think I peaked at around 1600 almost 40 years ago. I make mkl 1-5 favorite. I make the Wiz 3-1. Nightfly 4 - 1. I'll put me at 100-1. I'll put Jerry Logan at..... only kidding.

I'm a terrible Chess player, but I'm game to be fodder for y'all.

Jerry could win some sort of Baseketball-Chess hybrid, I suppose. His defense would be great! Consider: "heeeeey, ___: I hear your sister slept with Rob Singer!" Who could concentrate?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
January 5th, 2011 at 4:47:37 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

I'm a terrible Chess player,

There's a 5 move opening that results in a checkmate if you're opponent isn't aware of it. Get ready..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
minnesotajoe
minnesotajoe
  • Threads: 44
January 5th, 2011 at 4:49:44 PM permalink
Would I be correct in saying the following people are interested:

minnesotajoe
Wizard
SOOPOO
rdw4potus
TheNightfly
EvenBob
mkl654321
ElectricDreams

---------
Lets get this ball rolling. I would love to take on the Wizard and the followers of the WoV forum in a chess match.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
January 5th, 2011 at 4:52:01 PM permalink
Quote: minnesotajoe

Would I be correct in saying the following people are interested:

minnesotajoe
Wizard
SOOPOO
rdw4potus
TheNightfly
EvenBob
mkl654321
ElectricDreams

I don't have time, thanks anyway.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1313
January 5th, 2011 at 5:16:26 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

I used to play LOTS of tournament chess, and I reached about 2350 (Master) level, but that was many years ago.

Oh, Jeez! What have I gotten myself into? I was probably around 1,400 in my prime, about 15 years ago. These days I almost never play.

However, DorothyGale used to be around your rating. That would be a good match.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
January 5th, 2011 at 5:21:15 PM permalink
Quote: minnesotajoe

With all the great math minds on this forum, I am sure that many here are skilled in the art of chess.

It would be near impossible to run a tournament with an entry fee (since there is no guarantee that everybody would pay) but who on Wizard of Vegas website would be up for a chess tournament?

Aside from live play, my favorite place to play chess is on the YAHOO! website. "games.yahoo.com/ch"

It should not be too hard to get to organize a chess tournament for member here. Is there any interest in this?

I'm no master but would give it a try. Online play would be the way to go. Yahoo used to have private games. Or maybe Wiz can load one here? Timing could be an issue since we seem to have members from London to California here, that is 8 hours time zone difference.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
January 5th, 2011 at 8:27:30 PM permalink
Quote: TheNightfly

Hey mkl, the neat thing about FIDE ratings is that even if you haven't played for YEARS your rating is still recorded along with a great majority of your matches. The FIDE website will show a graph of your ratings growth and the tournaments in which you competed. Of course you know this because you can't have a rating unless your matches are recorded... it would be great to see some of your matches. Perhaps you could provide a link to a couple and maybe even tell us about your decisions.

FIDE does that nowadays, but my rating was USCF only. I never played in any FIDE-rated tournaments except the US Open and the National Open, and at that time, I don't think the below-grandmaster sections were FIDE-rated. I only know my old USCF rating because I sent them a request to find it so I could enter an internet postal-style tournament.

So my results (win-loss) might be recorded from a few long-ago tournaments, but alas, no actual game scores. That's too bad--I'd love to relive some of those old battles.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
odiousgambit
odiousgambit 
  • Threads: 300
January 6th, 2011 at 5:20:29 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

I'm a terrible Chess player, but I'm game to be fodder for y'all.

That's my attitude, game to be fodder for someone as well. If we can seed it by known ratings, at yahoo they put me at 1500 or so at my best [rusty now]. It'll be interesting to see if I get a pawn behind in the usual manner [will have to explain that postgame] I also think yahoo chess is the best way to go for live, you can set it up to be by invitation only somehow as I remember.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
petro
petro
  • Threads: 17
January 6th, 2011 at 5:56:12 AM permalink
I have been playing expert level chess (~2000 ELO) for about 10 years. I have won tournaments before.
I know a bit about Yahoo Chess even though I don't play there.
Yahoo chess is full of 'bot' players. Players using computers to cheat.
If you want to host an online tournament do it at a respected place like ICC (Internet Chess Club) or FICS (Free Internet Chess Club.)
One major issue about online chess is the rampant cheating that goes on.
Whatever you do, don't involve money with it, or the 'bots' will come.

• Jump to: