Garnabby
Garnabby
  • Threads: 4
December 31st, 2010 at 2:25:19 PM permalink
The thread comes up when i search for 'Does anyone agree with me?' , but it isn't in the general-discussion area on my screen.

Is it only me, or are others experiencing similar problems with this board?
Why bet at all, if you can be sure? Anyway, what constitutes a "good bet"? - The best slots-game in town; a sucker's edge; or some gray-area blackjack-stunts? (P.S. God doesn't even have to exist to be God.)
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
December 31st, 2010 at 2:52:31 PM permalink
I suspect this is one more case of the user not looking far enough down the list. Remember that the list is sorted with all of the threads that have been posted to since you read them coming before the ones that you are up-to-date on. Are the titles of the threads that you see in "General Discussion" in bold face type? If so, you have not read those lately. Scroll on down, perhaps to additional pages, until you get to the non-bold-face titles. This thread is probably at the top of that portion of your list.

But since I posted this comment, this thread will be at the top of your "General Discussion" list until you read this. Then it will drop back down below the others that you haven't read.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 31st, 2010 at 5:06:36 PM permalink
I sometimes don't see new posts for the Free Speech area
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
December 31st, 2010 at 5:28:37 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I sometimes don't see new posts for the Free Speech area

If you are talking about not seeing them in the Recent Threads listing, I think that is an intended feature. It seems to be working now, but I don't think it has been for long. That fix was on JB's to-do list, I think. If I remember the discussion correctly, the Wizard did not want to draw attention to the Free Speech Zone but just make it available for those who were interested.

If you look directly in the Free Speech Zone and don't see recent threads, then I don't know the answer, unless it is the same thing I mentioned in my earlier post.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
January 1st, 2011 at 6:25:54 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

I suspect this is one more case of the user not looking far enough down the list.

I don't think that is it. But regardless of how it works, I would
like to see the most recent posts at the top of the list, and I
don't think that is happening.

Of course this doesn't qualify as a world crisis or anything, but
I have had to search around for some recent posts sometimes.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 1st, 2011 at 6:30:47 AM permalink
MY entire thread on Fire Bet winner has disappeared.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Garnabby
Garnabby
  • Threads: 4
January 1st, 2011 at 7:45:17 AM permalink

I suspect this is one more case of the user not looking far enough down the list.

I've been away for a few months, and would have to go to page 26 of my by-lines to find it, lol. Who (, other than a few compulsive posters here, jab,) has the time or inclination to read [every] entire thread word for word, or at all, when it appears at, or near, the top?

Obviously, too much thought went into some of the new features... like, maybe i'm supposed to find another one of those features to turn that one off. Or a form of reverse-censorship, forcing some threads on some readers.

But that's what happens when "we live in glass towers"... lose sight of the world in general, and its simple-physical workings in specific.
Why bet at all, if you can be sure? Anyway, what constitutes a "good bet"? - The best slots-game in town; a sucker's edge; or some gray-area blackjack-stunts? (P.S. God doesn't even have to exist to be God.)
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
January 1st, 2011 at 8:26:02 AM permalink
So here's what's going on: the sort order on the threads on the front page is different than the sort order on the threads at wizardofvegas.com/recent. On the front page, threads are sorted in a strictly chronological order, most recent first. On the "Recent Threads" page, threads are sorted in chronological order as (a) most recent with unread messages and then (b) most recent fully-read threads. The status of (a) depends on your reading activity.

If you click the "mark as read" button on the Recent Threads page, all of the threads are marked as read and (a) becomes empty, leaving just (b). The first ten threads in (b), after all threads are marked read, is equivalent to what you see on the front page.

@boymimbo, based on my read/unread, your Fire Bet thread is at the top of the 2nd page of recent threads. After clicking "mark as read", just now, it jumps back to the first page 3rd from bottom.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 3rd, 2011 at 7:06:42 AM permalink

If you are talking about not seeing them in the Recent Threads listing, I think that is an intended feature. It seems to be working now, but I don't think it has been for long. That fix was on JB's to-do list, I think.

I dind't know that. They were on recent threads until sometime last week or so.

Quote:

If you look directly in the Free Speech Zone and don't see recent threads, then I don't know the answer, unless it is the same thing I mentioned in my earlier post.

Directly in the area they're all there in order of most recent.

But I think this means my next poll will have to go elsewhere.

Thanks!
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
  • Jump to: