100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 642
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 8:20:22 AM permalink
From this thread:
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/38752-when-gambling-is-no-longer-a-game/#post910357

What are your Hobbies besides gambling?
I need suggestions :)
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
Thanked by
Mission146lilredrooster
December 3rd, 2023 at 8:49:58 AM permalink
I see, you are looking for new sources of fun and entertainment to help fill the time you'd otherwise spend gambling: good topic, and probably relevant to many of us.

Here's what I do to fill my time, post-retirement:

Family and friends: I have regular contact and visits with them.

Exercise. In the morning I stretch and do yoga. Then I work out daily at a fitness center: nothing crazy, about a half hour of weights and cardio. I go for a walk before bed. Weather permitting, I ride my bike as well.

Music: I freakin' LOVE listening to music, and often sit in my listening room and drift off or read boks and magazines to the sounds I love; searching for, finding, and listening to new music from new artists helps keep it fresh.

Reading: A great "default" to turn to when nothing else sounds good.

Cars: I own some old Volvos and thoroughly enjoy maintaining and repairing them, it challenges both mind and body. I enjoy the two hour trips to Chinook Winds I regularly make, driving through beautiful country and listening to Bob Moses kicks ass.

Internet: I participate in a variety of forums, and check the news feeds regularly; I spend time on YouTube, typically viewing the stuff their algortithms send to me.

Home maintenance: I mow and edge the yard and do the work necessary to maintain and repair our home.

Dinky Toys: I collect Dinky Toys. I had some when I was a kid and loved them. Now I have over 150 of them, and counting.

Weed: I smoke cannabis; not all the time, typically late at night: gotta watch out for those damned munchies.

Gambling: Oops...never mind.
"What, me worry?"
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
Thanked by
lilredrooster
December 3rd, 2023 at 9:01:59 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

From this thread:
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/38752-when-gambling-is-no-longer-a-game/#post910357

link to original post

I don't really include listening to music as a hobby; while I may listen to quite a bit of music, it's typically done whilst also doing some other activity.

MY HOBBIES (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER):

1.) Video Games.

-I enjoy playing video games and watching others play video games. People often ask, "Who wants to watch someone play a game?" The main reason I like watching people play games is that I find that I don't know many people who, if they enjoy video games at all, enjoy the same ones I do.

-I guess I could theoretically try to meet people that share my video game preferences, but I choose not to because:

***People, gross. No thanks.

***I generally prefer single-player games. I also like two player games, but the types of games I like are such that the two players aren't physically located in the same place.

***I'm generally opposed to hanging out with people unless it has been scheduled in advance. Most people are way too random for me and those who I count amongst my very good friends know that I like to schedule most things. Phone calls, meeting up, etc. I have to mentally prepare for things of this nature, so someone dropping by unannounced would probably result in that being the last time they ever see me.

Anyway, with streaming outlets such as Twitch, you can watch people play and discuss the game with those folks and the rest of chat.

2.) Reading/Watching Documentaries.

-In general, I just enjoy researching stuff. The topic really doesn't matter; it's just whatever has my interest at that particular second. I once spent a solid week just researching the histories (and reasons they discontinued operating) for companies of some meaningful size that went totally out of business.

3.) Walking/Cemetery Walks.

-I'm pretty happy just walking about; my fiancee isn't huge on walking for its own sake, but she does like doing cemetery walks. How cemetery walks work is that we go to some cemetery that we've either never been to before, or have only been once or twice and then we try to find the oldest corpse there. They haven't necessarily been a corpse longer than the other corpses, but we call the earliest date of birth good enough. We once found a veteran of the Revolutionary War in a military cemetery; it's not even a historical cemetery, per se, as you could buy a plot there if you're active military or a veteran.

I think that basically covers it. In terms of activities, I don't think there's anything else I particularly like to do. I suppose driving around aimlessly, but I wouldn't exactly call that a hobby. I mostly just care about my brain being active with what I'm doing.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 9:20:54 AM permalink
Hobbies, I wish I had time for hobbies. I work all day long doing housework and taking care of these cats. In the summer I'm up to my armpits in outdoor work because I live on two acres and have to maintain it. In the winter there's constant things that need to be repaired, painted, rebuilt. I just came across when I was cleaning the basement this fall boxes and boxes of antique magazines from the first three decades of this last century, thousands of dollars worth, they all have to be disposed of on eBay one magazine at a time. Someday when I retire maybe I'll find a hobby, right now I have too much work to do. I'm 74 and I'm constantly reading about people who work well into their 80s. Sigh..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Mission146
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 9:27:04 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Hobbies, I wish I had time for hobbies. I work all day long doing housework and taking care of these cats. In the summer I'm up to my armpits in outdoor work because I live on two acres and have to maintain it. In the winter there's constant things that need to be repaired, painted, rebuilt. I just came across when I was cleaning the basement this fall boxes and boxes of antique magazines from the first three decades of this last century, thousands of dollars worth, they all have to be disposed of on eBay one magazine at a time. Someday when I retire maybe I'll find a hobby, right now I have too much work to do. I'm 74 and I'm constantly reading about people who work well into their 80s. Sigh..
link to original post

Good point. I suppose I should include posting on message boards, and other types of social media, as a hobby.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
Thanked by
Mission146lilredroosterVladAlex1
December 3rd, 2023 at 9:35:16 AM permalink
I'm usually trying to improve my cooking skills.

I listen to a fair number of podcasts, both personal and professional interests.

I recommend trying to spend an hour a day on self improvement - either physical or mental, although I usually fall short. An hour long walk (or other exercise) or an hour of skill practice (piano? guitar?) just seems to make life go better.

A lot of folks do some kind of woodworking. That takes up a lot of space for the workshop.
May the cards fall in your favor.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
Mission146lilredroosterVladAlex1
December 3rd, 2023 at 10:16:37 AM permalink
Hobbies in my retirement:

1. Poker club; This is more of a social activity, more than 20 guys that play organized tournaments at someone's house twice a month, then rent a cabin for a weekend in January for non-stop card games, adult beverages and "guy food."

2. Acting: I act in community theater, I've been in a film recently (with lines) and now I'm on a board of directors for a new theater venture.

3. Reading - a life-long passion.

4. Friends and family -visiting my daughters and grandchildren, spending time with friends

5. Internet - being a WOV forum moderator and member of other social fora

6 - Watching Movies and television

7. College basketball and football fan (Tennessee Vols)

8. Hiking - not as much as I used to.

9. Cooking - always learning. A surprisingly complex subject

Defunct hobbies of my past

1. Model railroading

2. High altitude mountaineering

3. Jogging/exercise/playing tennis

4. Collecting comic books (still have a zillion)

5. Collecting rare books and magazines, and LOTR memorabilia

6. Travel (don't seem to have the energy and inclination to do a lot of this anymore)
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 10:33:56 AM permalink
Sadly, I don't have any hobbies. I also do almost nothing besides work and watch sports.

My big project this week is trying to find someone to resurface our lanai and someone to build us a sundeck over our jacuuzi.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 10:35:26 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

1. Poker club; This is more of a social activity, more than 20 guys that play organized tournaments at someone's house twice a month, then rent a cabin for a weekend in January for non-stop card games, adult beverages and "guy food."

I am extremely jealous of your poker club. That is something I would do if I had enough friends interested. I love the idea of going away to a cabin and playing poker with the guys all weekend.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 10:53:04 AM permalink

link to original post

Good one! "Games", either non-gambling, or gambling for trivial stakes, would be a fine hobby.

I know a number of folks that play those roleplaying games with the little figurines. They spend hours hand painting their game pieces.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
Thanked by
Mission146lilredrooster
December 3rd, 2023 at 11:23:09 AM permalink
hunting, fishing, gardening, making homebrew, poker club

that last one might not be good for someone who needs to get away from gambling
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
Thanked by
Mission146odiousgambitgordonm888
December 3rd, 2023 at 12:02:48 PM permalink
my main hobby is playing guitar which I've done for a great many years
I haven't played in a band although I'm easily good enough to do that - except in a jazz band
jazz musicians generally play at a higher level than those who play rock and pop
I can play some jazz - but I'm not good enough to play in a jazz band - I don't read music
I use to play on open mike nights in the DC area - instrumentals - I don't sing
I'd be lost without my guitar
the great thing about a guitar - I greatly prefer acoustic to electric - is that it's portable - you can take it anywhere and it doesn't take up a lot of space like a piano does
a really good acoustic guitar has a very appealing and impressive tone
I used to own a Martin guitar which many consider to be the very best acoustic - but I switched to Yamaha - and I like it much better - Yamaha may not be quite equal to Martin - but their guitars seem to suit me better
playing guitar never bores me

I take about a one hour walk every single day - and enjoy it quite a bit - especially when the weather's good enough so I want to walk outdoors

I believe that has contributed to my staying pretty healthy - no major issues -

Please don't feed the trolls
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
Mission146lilredrooster
December 3rd, 2023 at 12:12:33 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

is that it's portable - you can take it anywhere and it doesn't take up a lot of space like a piano does
link to original post

A good friend of mine who died last year at 87, the math teacher who taught math right up until he died and a former Catholic priest, had piano playing as his lifetime hobby. He did it at least two to three hours a day and he could not read music, he played everything by ear. All he had to do was hear a song once and he could play it. He had a really nice piano that his parents gave him in 1950 and he lost it like 4 years ago in a hurricane flood in Texas. The insurance company paid for it so he went out and bought an expensive electric piano that took up no room at all compared to the one he had. He hated it, said he could not make it sound like a real piano. So he went out and dumped $18,000 on a brand new Japanese baby grand and he was playing that when he died. I should mention he had a genius IQ and had a photographic memory, it was uncanny that he could even hear symphony music and play it immediately.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 12:18:35 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

A good friend of mine who died last year at 87, the math teacher who taught math right up until he died and a former Catholic priest, had piano playing as his lifetime hobby. He did it at least two to three hours a day and he could not read music, he played everything by ear. All he had to do was hear a song once and he could play it. He had a really nice piano that his parents gave him in 1950 and he lost it like 4 years ago in a hurricane flood in Texas. The insurance company paid for it so he went out and bought an expensive electric piano that took up no room at all compared to the one he had. He hated it, said he could not make it sound like a real piano. So he went out and dumped $18,000 on a brand new Japanese baby grand and he was playing that when he died. I should mention he had a genius IQ and had a photographic memory, it was uncanny that he could even hear symphony music and play it immediately.
link to original post

to me - watching a gifted person playing classical music on a piano - is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in my life

Please don't feed the trolls
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 2:22:29 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Music: I freakin' LOVE listening to music,

Got some good headphones or speakers?

Since you once mentioned about being audiophile, I had been meaning to link you to this... and there's other genres there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsvCHodFhe4&t=1s
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
TheCapitalShip
TheCapitalShip
  • Threads: 7
Thanked by
gordonm888Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 2:23:36 PM permalink

From this thread:

link to original post

I honestly mostly work and don't really have time for many hobbies...of the things I DO like and sometimes have for:

1. Video Games - always have a video game I like to play, plenty out there to take your pick with, right now I am back on doing modded minecraft. Though I remember the last time I mentioned video games to you I was playing Path of Exile.

2. Railfanning/Rail watching - I'm not into model railroading, but when I used to have time, I loved watching trains go by (yard master at the UP yard here actually used to let me in the yard to watch when I was younger), in particular I like the sound of big diesel engines starting up or pulling heavy lads, or steam engines just....doing anything basically. The area which I live is.....a bit slim for pickings honestly, so most of it is me reliving the glory days I was never alive for, watching heavy freight trains going over heavy mountain passes in the 90's.

3. Music - I love playing guitar, haven't played in years though mostly because I chose video games over it, really though you can just even take 30 mins a day playing it, and guitar is one of the easier instruments to learn, I need to get back on it....also always wanted to learn how to play piano, got an old big electric that was really top notch back in its time (early 2ks), honestly still sounds good to me, even if it's not a grand piano. Also if you ever wanna hear an awesome instrument, I think the pipe organ is amazing, there is a restaurant a couple hours from me that has a pipe organ that is as big as the entire building (I heard the factoid that playing the low C actually registers as an earthquake). Sadly I don't have a pipe organ to learn on though.

4. Walking, sometimes just taking a walk to clear your head is nice, helps keep you in shape to! You'd be surprised how good a walk can do.

It is worth mentioning that you will notice all of these are mostly solo hobbies.....I suggest finding one you can do with friends :P. And remember to spend time with your family, life is short and you never know what might happen.
MrV
MrV
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 3:03:56 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

No headphones: speakers.

I have three high end stereo systems (listening room, garage, bedroom) and a dedicated home theater.
"What, me worry?"
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 4:02:07 PM permalink

Cars: I own some old Volvos and thoroughly enjoy maintaining and repairing them, it challenges both mind and body. I enjoy the two hour trips to Chinook Winds I regularly make, driving through beautiful country and listening to Bob Moses kicks ass.

Old like how old? 700/800/900? 240? 120/140/160? 544/444?

I used to know something about the 100 series stuff.
A falling knife has no handle.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 4:10:31 PM permalink
Hobbies have come and gone through my life. The only one that I can honestly say I’ve pursued life long is cooking. I take immense pleasure there. I always have. I know my way around the kitchen, but better at some things than others. I’m not afraid of ruining expensive ingredients, because I know I won’t ruin them.

Otherwise, I shoot photos; no particular style or genre, I just enjoy shooting, sometimes. And I’m planning on getting back into enjoying my Miata that’s gone unregistered since 2015.

I enjoy music, and I have a ton of money in stereo equipment, but for some reason I stopped listening at home.About 15 years ago we had a sewer back up, had to redo the basement rooms, stereo and listening room was last in the list, and all my records from ST— through ZZ were ruined, which kinda ruined it for me because I didn’t want to replace them. That was some old vinyl.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 4:13:39 PM permalink

Quote: rxwine

No headphones: speakers.

I have three high end stereo systems (listening room, garage, bedroom) and a dedicated home theater.
link to original post

LOL, my garage system is centered around a CJ 45 amp.
MrV
MrV
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 4:23:16 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Old like how old?

'82 244 Turbo and '86 740 Turbo.

Started with a 142 years ago.
"What, me worry?"
MrV
MrV
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 4:32:20 PM permalink

[LOL, my garage system is centered around a CJ 45 amp.

Nice amp, made by Conrad-Johnson, one of several not well know American made high end stereo equipment manufacturers.

My bedroom system has a CJ MF200 amp and CJ PF-1 pre amp; the garage system is centered around a Krell KAV250a and Krell 250p.
Last edited by: MrV on Dec 3, 2023
"What, me worry?"
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 5:29:17 PM permalink

[LOL, my garage system is centered around a CJ 45 amp.

Nice amp, made by Conrad-Johnson, one of several not well know American made high end stereo equipment manufacturers.

My bedroom system has a CJ MF200 amp and CJ PF-1 pre amp; the garage system is centered around a Krell KAV250a and Krell 250p.
link to original post

My main listening room is VTL and Martin Logans, but when we redid the room I never retuned the acoustics. It is now a guest bedroom. But the real reason I stopped listening is losing that section of content. I’m 69, I had been collecting records since the ‘70s. I’m one of those “DON’T TOUCH THE GROOVES!!!” people, sleeves 90° with a plastic outer sleeve, all that stuff. I don’t miss the $20,000 it cost to clean up the sewage, and repair the floors and walls, and replace the furniture; I miss that irreplaceable old vinyl. But life goes on.

I had a ‘71 144e, still one of my favorite cars I’ve ever had; it had an early Bosch jetronics fuel injection. It was like an old shoe.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 6:13:23 PM permalink

Otherwise, I shoot photos; no particular style or genre, I just enjoy shooting, sometimes. And I’m planning on getting back into enjoying my Miata that’s gone unregistered since 2015.

I enjoy music, and I have a ton of money in stereo equipment, but for some reason I stopped listening at home..
link to original post

Back in the '80s and 90s I had 35mm cameras and took a lot of pictures, had lots of different lenses, but my brother owned a camera shop which made it a lot easier. When digital came along I just lost interest in it because it got too easy. I take lots of pictures with my phone, mostly of my cats, but it's just not the same.

I used to enjoy listening to classical music and had lots of albums and CDs but in the last 20 years I've just lost interest in it for some reason. I have a really expensive Alpine stereo system in my van that has like 11 speakers and I never even turn it on anymore. That just seems weird to me, I don't really like listening to anything because it seems like a distraction now.
VladAlex1
VladAlex1
  • Threads: 23
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 6:19:28 PM permalink
My Current hobbies
1 Cooking- is very relaxing / top hobby ..Use mostly an organic ingredients, experimenting with different recipes and art presentations
2 Classic calming music- listening
3 Italian opera singing daily in the shower- I am awful singer
4 Riding daily bike 20 miles all year around including extremal winter conditions (Canada)
5 Playing hockey
6 Visiting family (kids /grandkids) and friends
7 Hiking / Walking in close by park- great relaxing act and scenery joy
8 Visiting or call to my neighbors - sharing life stories and help them.
9 Community socializing in the the reform (my religious) institution- supporting and volunteering
10 Collecting barometers, binoculars and mechanical wood toys and puzzles
11 Building /Fixing my old bikes
12 Collecting an old globes and maps

Hobbies of my past
1 Mounting Alpes climbing
2 Water crafting
3 Drawing and painting
4 Play card games (started @ 5 years old)
5 Performing for my friends- reading my funny stories
6 Home wine making ... very poor results
I’d rather have to be a lucky player than good one.
MrV
MrV
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 6:20:57 PM permalink

My main listening room is VTL and Martin Logans, but when we redid the room I never retuned the acoustics. It is now a guest bedroom. But the real reason I stopped listening is losing that section of content.

Nice gear, but I'm not sure what you mean when you wrote that you stopped listening because you were "losing the section of content?"
"What, me worry?"
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 6:29:10 PM permalink

My main listening room is VTL and Martin Logans, but when we redid the room I never retuned the acoustics. It is now a guest bedroom. But the real reason I stopped listening is losing that section of content.

Nice gear, but I'm not sure what you mean when you wrote that you stopped listening because you were "losing the section of content?"
link to original post

When the sewer backed up, I lost my lowest level of records, pop/jazz side; classical was high and dry. Everything from ST through ZZ. It just pisses me off, still. I just can’t get back into it with the same calmness that I used to have; it’s incomplete in the most incomplete way. If every fifth record was gone, I’d still be pissed but not as much… but all the Velvet Underground? Lester Young? Ugh. Just… ugh.
MrV
MrV
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 6:32:54 PM permalink

When the sewer backed up, I lost my lowest level of records, pop/jazz side; classical was high and dry. Everything from ST through ZZ. It just pisses me off, still. I just can’t get back into it with the same calmness that I used to have; it’s incomplete in the most incomplete way. If every fifth record was gone, I’d still be pissed but not as much… but all the Velvet Underground? Lester Young? Ugh. Just… ugh.

Got it, and understandable.

Last night I was listening to "The Yes Album" and Neil Young's "After the Goldrush" on LP: it would be a disaster to lose that (or any) section of my LP collection.
"What, me worry?"
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2023 at 6:47:41 PM permalink

Got it, and understandable.

Last night I was listening to "The Yes Album" and Neil Young's "After the Goldrush" on LP: it would be a disaster to lose that (or any) section of my LP collection.
link to original post

Rust Never Sleeps. “Powderfinger”. Unreal. And Young is a sound freak, all his stuff sounds amazing. If something sounds grungy (Like Tonight’s the Night), it’s because he wanted it to sound grungy. But yeah.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 4:16:17 AM permalink
Quote: VladAlex1

10 Collecting barometers, binoculars and mechanical wood toys and puzzles

Collecting barometers is not one that I have heard before. I have known people to collect thermometers.
Mission146
Mission146
Thanked by
Joeman
December 4th, 2023 at 6:09:05 AM permalink
I also cook, but I wouldn't consider it a hobby as I'd also have to consider eating a hobby.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 6:15:00 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I also cook, but I wouldn't consider it a hobby as I'd also have to consider eating a hobby.
link to original post

In my mind, for it to be a hobby you need to enjoy doing it. I throw steaks or burgers on a grill, or make a pan of Hamburger Helper but I don't enjoy it and definitely don't consider it a hobby for me.
Mission146
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 6:23:18 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

In my mind, for it to be a hobby you need to enjoy doing it. I throw steaks or burgers on a grill, or make a pan of Hamburger Helper but I don't enjoy it and definitely don't consider it a hobby for me.
link to original post

I suppose, pursuant to your definition, that cooking would be a hobby for me.

My specific reasoning when it comes to the usage of, 'Hobby,' is that it has to be something that you wouldn't need to do anyway and also doesn't relate to something else that you'd have to do anyway.
100xOdds
100xOdds
Thanked by
Mission146gordonm888
December 4th, 2023 at 6:29:33 AM permalink

6. Travel (don't seem to have the energy and inclination to do a lot of this anymore)
link to original post

I spend waaay too much time on the internet.

i also used to collect comics and have a few boxes. Want to sell it but no idea how without getting ripped off.

I like to travel but it seems i'm more interested in casinos in the new city instead of tourist places.
I still do the tourist stuff but more looking forward to the casinos.
Guess i really like the Wiz's saying "Was it a good bet?"
Mission146
Mission146
Thanked by
100xOdds
December 4th, 2023 at 6:35:30 AM permalink

link to original post

I spend waaay too much time on the internet.

i also used to collect comics and have a few boxes. Want to sell it but no idea how without getting ripped off.

I like to travel but it seems i'm more interested in casinos in the new city instead of tourist places.
I still do the tourist stuff but more looking forward to the casinos.
Guess i really like the Wiz's saying "Was it a good bet?"
link to original post

Without getting ripped off?

I would say if you just want to flip them relatively fast, look up some kind of eBay, Amazon, or site specifically for comics.

Look for comics on that site that match yours and are in similar condition.

And, then undercut the lowest price (per unit) by 5%. Alternatively, you could go to three comic book stores and simply see who the highest bidder is. Given that you would have to pay some sort of transaction fee to sell them online, as well as ship them, I would say taking a 20-25% haircut (vs. your asking price to sell them online individually, summed) to dump them all at once, and not have sale or shipping transaction costs, would be within reason.

You can also call Geekadrome Games and Comics in Pittsburgh PA and talk to Paul. He might be interested in buying them. He's a good guy; tell him I sent you.
100xOdds
100xOdds
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 6:45:15 AM permalink

MY HOBBIES (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER):
1.) Video Games.

-I enjoy playing video games and watching others play video games. People often ask, "Who wants to watch someone play a game?" The main reason I like watching people play games is that I find that I don't know many people who, if they enjoy video games at all, enjoy the same ones I do.

Quote: TheCapitalShip

1. Video Games - always have a video game I like to play, plenty out there to take your pick with, right now I am back on doing modded minecraft. Though I remember the last time I mentioned video games to you I was playing Path of Exile.
link to original post

I used to game ALOT around 15 yrs ago on the PC.
And back then i also liked upgrading my PC piecemeal (motherboard/cpu or video card) to keep up with the hardware requirements of the new games.

The game i LOVED the most was Age of Empires II and Microsoft is still supporting that game 15yrs later with new stuff.
When i found that out a couple of years ago, i thought about getting back into it since it doesnt require any hardware upgrades but never did.

I also used to play Path of Exile but back then they were doing changes so fast to game play that i gave up. My hard earned gear all of a sudden became 2nd rate with newly introduced gear having more powerful game mechanics.

As to others that mentioned movies:
I still have the entire Season of Witcher 3 on my hard drive for months that i havent watched yet.

It seems like lately i just sleep, eat, surf web.
or sleep, eat, goto casino for 3 or 4 day weekend. (free room)
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 6:54:50 AM permalink

link to original post

I think it may depend on if your goal is to achieve basic competence and stop improving, or to keep developing your techniques.

I know a guy who turns out a batch of chicken & biscuits every weeknight. It's good. It's consistent. It's the dinner he knows how to make for the family. He is decidedly not a hobbyist.

There are other guys who get really excited by a new fish spatula, and the prospect of trying to replicate that onion jam, egg, and spam sandwich on hawaiian rolls gives them a thrill. They... approach it as a hobby.

It's perfectly reasonable for one person to do both. Routine food during the week; and host a semi-fancy brunch or a cookout on the weekend.
Mission146
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 6:57:09 AM permalink
I'm in-between. I definitely try to cook new stuff, but cooking new stuff doesn't increase my level of enjoyment of the process.

I also wouldn't say I enjoy cooking; I enjoy the result...usually.
100xOdds
100xOdds
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 6:58:38 AM permalink

link to original post

I'm in-between. I definitely try to cook new stuff, but cooking new stuff doesn't increase my level of enjoyment of the process.

I also wouldn't say I enjoy cooking; I enjoy the result...usually.
link to original post

I don't like cooking but i like shopping for food at costco.
they have different stuff every month so i don't eat the same things.
So thats my process of constantly trying new foods. it's fun seeing new items.

and it's Easy to cook and some is just re-heat
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 7:06:38 AM permalink

Quote: DRich

link to original post

link to original post

I suppose, pursuant to your definition, that cooking would be a hobby for me.

My specific reasoning when it comes to the usage of, 'Hobby,' is that it has to be something that you wouldn't need to do anyway and also doesn't relate to something else that you'd have to do anyway.
link to original post

I think if you spend time, money, curiousity, and emotional currency beyond what might be considered normal, then cooking can be considered a hobby. At least that’s how I judge it for my situation.

I spend time thinking about ways to combine things. I spend time learning techniques that I need to create flavors and textures that I’m curious about. I spend money on equipment that is necessary to create those flavors and textures. I invest emotional currency in the outcome, because cooking for others is an act of love.

So, you can cook, but it isn’t necessarily a hobby. You can wash and wax your car, but car detailing isn’t necessarily a hobby (believe me, it certainly can be). You can cut your grass and plant flowers and weed your garden, but gardening and yard care doesn’t have to be a hobby (I hate it). Or, you can do all those things and invest, time, money, and pride/soul/love in them, and they are hobbies.
Mission146
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 7:09:15 AM permalink
I have come to the conclusion that cooking might, or might not, be a hobby for me. There is doubt where there was once certitude, though I'm not sure I have been made better for this.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 7:45:54 AM permalink

I have come to the conclusion that cooking might, or might not, be a hobby for me. There is doubt where there was once certitude, though I'm not sure I have been made better for this.
link to original post

I think about things, a lot. And one thing I think about sometimes is the evolution of my own cooking.

I’ve ALWAYS thought I’m a good cook. Except for when I first held a knife, pots and pans, and thought “What the hell?”, I’ve always thought I was good. At the same time, it was also obvious that in an absolute sense, I made good food because I followed a recipe. To make an analogy, I could turn wrenches, but I couldn’t design a machine. And I couldn’t turn wrenches to good effect without instruction, either. My food tasted good, but that wasn’t the same as being a good cook. And it didn’t make cooking a hobby, either; I just liked eating good food, and knew how to make it.

The hobby part evolved gradually. And it started off with frustration and being pissed off with not getting the results I wanted, specifically with beef rib roasts, aka prime rib. With those, the cookbooks were just flat out wrong: the most common recipes called for either steady 350° for 3 hours, or start at 500° for half an hour and then turn the oven off, and check the roast after 3 hours. The first recipe inevitably led to nice, thoroughly brown, well done beef. The second led to a nice brown crust, and a cold, red center. And here we have a problem, because one thing about a rib roast: nobody makes prime rib on a weeknight for family. We make rib roasts for special occasions. They’re expensive! They involve time and prep! And there is the emotional investment of serving them to others, as an accomplishment!

What you got here is deep breath territory. This is where you have to invest. You have to invest time, the time to prep and cook a rib roast. You have to invest money; that is one expensive hunk of meat, even on sale and USDA choice. And there is a lot riding on the outcome: the pleasure of serving friends and family, and of course secretly beaming from their praise when you know it is honest because you know it came out right. You’re going to have to practice. (And you’re going to have to eat some pretty mediocre beef, too.)

That’s how it started, for me. Once I figured that one out, I started thinking about other things, and I started trying them. The things I took to, I made the decision to buy the equipment that I needed. Other things were a dead end, for a lot of reasons. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Asian food. I hate making it at home. That’s fine. I’m good at American, Southern/Soul, TexMex (but not authentic Mexican), Italian, Eastern European, and some French, and I’m pretty good at BBQ. I don’t bake, but when I do I’m successful at it. And I don’t do pizzas, even though I have the equipment, because I don’t bake and making pizza is a pain in the ass if you don’t make them all the time.

Now I feel confident just making something from what I have, or walking into the store and thinking, “Oh, those will taste good together.” I’m not sure I could handle those ingredient challenges you see on TV, but in the real world? Yeah. I’ll make something that doesn’t have a name, it’s just stuff that tastes good. That’s why I consider it a hobby, and really it’s the only one I’ve had my whole life, I think.
Last edited by: Mosca on Dec 4, 2023
Mission146
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 8:02:03 AM permalink
Quote:

I think about things, a lot. And one thing I think about sometimes is the evolution of my own cooking.

I’ve ALWAYS thought I’m a good cook. Except for when I first held a knife, pots and pans, and thought “What the hell?”, I’ve always thought I was good. At the same time, it was also obvious that in an absolute sense, I made good food because I followed a recipe. To make an analogy, I could turn wrenches, but I couldn’t design a machine. And I couldn’t turn wrenches to good effect without instruction, either. My food tasted good, but that wasn’t the same as being a good cook. And it didn’t make cooking a hobby, either; I just liked eating good food, and knew how to make it.

I'd argue that you'd still be a good cook; you simply wouldn't be a good innovator. Certainly, regardless of the topic being discussed, some can use the tools and follow the directions better than others, and therefore, are good at what they are doing. Let's compare to someone using a circular saw:

Person A: Cuts off fingers. (Objectively Terrible)

Person B: Frequently cuts against the grain, has never lost fingers. (Not particularly good, but superior to Person A).

Person C: Cuts properly, but has never crafted anything without using a diagram. (Not an innovator, but better than A and B at using the tool.)

I would simply call execution and innovation two different things. It's possible for someone who has never cooked to have a unique, and fundamentally good, idea for a flavor pairing, but be totally unable to execute it.

Quote:

The hobby part evolved gradually. And it started off with frustration and being pissed off with not getting the results I wanted, specifically with beef rib roasts, aka prime rib. With those, the cookbooks were just flat out wrong: the most common recipes called for either steady 350° for 3 hours, or start at 500° for half an hour and then turn the oven off, and check the roast after 3 hours. The first recipe inevitably led to nice, thoroughly brown, well done beef. The second led to a nice brown crust, and a cold, red center. And here we have a problem, because one thing about a rib roast: nobody makes prime rib on a weeknight for family. We make rib roasts for special occasions. They’re expensive! They involve time and prep! And there is the emotional investment of serving them to others, as an accomplishment!

I suppose that's possible for some people; if I wanted a rib roast, then I would make a rib roast. I don't care whether or not it is the weekend.

Quote:

What you got here is deep breath territory. This is where you have to invest. You have to invest time, the time to prep and cook a rib roast. You have to invest money; that is one expensive hunk of meat, even on sale and USDA choice. And there is a lot riding on the outcome: the pleasure of serving friends and family, and of course secretly beaming from their praise when you know it is honest because you know it came out right. You’re going to have to practice. (And you’re going to have to eat some pretty mediocre beef, too.)

The only thing riding on the outcome is money; if the rib roast turns out so bad as to be functionally inedible, then you have that sunk cost as well as the sunk cost of presumably having to either go to a restaurant, fast food place or order pizza.

(Rest of quote removed; no specific response.)

I suppose the difference between the two of us is the emotional component. I wouldn't be particularly bothered by doing something poorly; I'd simply have to try to figure out what my mistakes were and endeavor not to repeat them on the next attempt, or alternatively, simply not try that dish again.
100xOdds
100xOdds
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 8:09:28 AM permalink
sidenote:
42 replies and it's still page 1?
# of posts per page has changed?

How many posts per page is it now? 50?
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 8:13:44 AM permalink
I think the attitude toward it is everything, Mission. It’s because I’m invested in the outcome that it is a hobby. The curiosity is a big part of it.

I was trying to think of an apt analogy. I can replace parts, and I installed a supercharger on my car, but could I rebuild the transmission? Eh. With enough time and money, and the shop manual, and the right tools, but mostly DESIRE, I could rebuild the tranny. I just don’t want to. On the other hand, I know a guy who has a lift in his garage, and looks forward to fixing things. Anyhow, that’s why I picked that analogy, and also because it fit the idea of making a meal without instructions. It’s somewhat inexact, but close enough for here.

It’s a good discussion.
Mission146
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 8:25:46 AM permalink

I think the attitude toward it is everything, Mission. It’s because I’m invested in the outcome that it is a hobby. The curiosity is a big part of it.

I was trying to think of an apt analogy. I can replace parts, and I installed a supercharger on my car, but could I rebuild the transmission? Eh. With enough time and money, and the shop manual, and the right tools, but mostly DESIRE, I could rebuild the tranny. I just don’t want to. On the other hand, I know a guy who has a lift in his garage, and looks forward to fixing things. Anyhow, that’s why I picked that analogy, and also because it fit the idea of making a meal without instructions. It’s somewhat inexact, but close enough for here.

It’s a good discussion.
link to original post

You'd be a good Monro employee, but not such a great one to have at an independent car repair place where you might be required to do literally anything related.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 8:42:00 AM permalink

It’s a good discussion.
link to original post

You'd be a good Monro employee, but not such a great one to have at an independent car repair place where you might be required to do literally anything related.
link to original post

You gave me a chuckle! Actually I’d be a lousy employee almost anywhere. It’s pretty much the only thing I share with APs. I don’t like having a boss. Or being a boss. But that’s a different discussion. If I had been routed down the path of being a mechanic, I would have definitely been happiest with jobs that were simple and quick.
Mission146
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 8:43:25 AM permalink

It’s a good discussion.
link to original post

link to original post

You gave me a chuckle! Actually I’d be a lousy employee almost anywhere. It’s pretty much the only thing I share with APs. I don’t like having a boss. Or being a boss. But that’s a different discussion. If I had been routed down the path of being a mechanic, I would have definitely been happiest with jobs that were simple and quick.
link to original post

Perhaps one of those drive-thru Valvoline places that only does oil and fluid changes?
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 9:15:06 AM permalink
Naw, better than that. Again, it wouldn’t be something that I would choose. The only reason I was ever employed at all was because nobody would pay me to lay around the house in sweat pants, and I didn’t inherit a trust fund.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 9:50:31 AM permalink

The only reason I was ever employed at all was because nobody would pay me to lay around the house in sweat pants, and I didn’t inherit a trust fund.

Wow, you were ambitious. I would just lay around in my boxer shorts.
  • Jump to: