Thread Rating:

JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
December 25th, 2010 at 5:14:32 AM permalink
I don't know about you, but we have both our children home from college and we're going to have a great day together! But first and foremost on this blessed day, I'm sure most of the civilized world joins us in saying Happy Birthday to our Lord, God & Savior: Jesus Christ. I know there are a minority of you who do not believe, but remember: It takes a very warm heart to have the faith to believe in something so wonderful which we cannot see and therefore, other than from the writings of those who came before us, we cannot prove.

So if you're enjoying the day with friends, family, and are comforted in knowing your beliefs are in line with the baseline principles of this great country, ie. In God We Trust; God Bless America; and One Nation Under God, then you have a warm and giving heart, and you are fulfilling the reason we were all put on this earth. But if you continue your existence with the pessimistic attitude and unhappy conflicted life of an atheist who has no intention of ever believing even if evidence were presented to you on a daily basis, then you indeed have a cold heart and you will never know the joys of the Season as the rest of us so easily do.

A Merry Christmas!

Jerry L.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
December 25th, 2010 at 5:30:53 AM permalink
Yes, Merry Christmas (not "Happy Holidays") to all!
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
December 25th, 2010 at 5:51:27 AM permalink
Quote: JerryLogan

But if you continue your existence with the pessimistic attitude and unhappy conflicted life of an atheist who has no intention of ever believing even if evidence were presented to you on a daily basis, then you indeed have a cold heart and you will never know the joys of the Season as the rest of us so easily do.

A Merry Christmas!

I wish you a Merry Christmas. I may not believe in a God under the strict doctrines of any organised relegion, but am open to the possibility of a higher power, even if I currently do not believe.

This however does not stop me from wishing you, (and everyone else here) the joys of the season for whichever religion they believe in, and for anyone whos beliefs dont involve Christmas as any form of special day, then just have a great day.

Again, Merry Christmas.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 25th, 2010 at 6:08:48 AM permalink
Quote: Croupier

Again, Merry Christmas.

And a happy Boxing Day to you.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
WestSider
WestSider
  • Threads: 0
December 25th, 2010 at 6:28:27 AM permalink

But if you continue your existence with the pessimistic attitude and unhappy conflicted life of an atheist who has no intention of ever believing even if evidence were presented to you on a daily basis, then you indeed have a cold heart and you will never know the joys of the Season as the rest of us so easily do.

Jerry L.

Jerry, I don't know why you couldn't just wish everyone a Merry Christmas and leave it at that. Today, on this great day, you decided to pass judgment on others - one of the most un-Christian things you could do.

Religion aside, I also find this part of your message painfully ironic given you continued and often flippant refusal to accept the mathematical realities of gambling despite the fact that others have repeatedly presented you such evidence (I know you will disagree that anyone has given you any "evidence")

I do hope you have a great day with your kids and a very Merry Christmas.
PeteM
PeteM
  • Threads: 4
December 25th, 2010 at 7:08:10 AM permalink
Thank you, Croupier. You have expressed my sentiments nicely.

Merry Christmas AZ! And in response to that little Imhofe/DeMintesque "War on Christmas" dig, a Happy Solstice as well. At least I hope so. I've informed a couple of my smaller, weaker fellow employees that if we don't start seeing slightly longer days shortly, I'm going to drag one of them outside, chain him to a rock, open his chest with a dovetail saw and offer his heart in propitation to the Sun God(got to cover all the bases).

Enjoy your kids, Jerry. And thank you for reinforcing WHY I have you blocked. I admit I peeked this time to see if you could lighten up, and for one paragraph you did! But that bile faucet just flows a little too strongly;doesn't it old fellow? Have a nice Christmas.

Wiz, Thank you for introducing me to all these interesting characters on this great site. You all help make the daily grind bearable.

Merry Christmas to all, and may all your sixes and eights be hard ones!
"Win with a smile, lose with grace."
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
December 25th, 2010 at 7:10:36 AM permalink

... we have both our children home from college and we're going to have a great day together! ...

Merry Christmas to you, Jerry, as well as to your family and to the others here on the forum.

When your son/daughter (don't know which) is heading back to Williams, ask that s/he pass along an anonymous greeting to Dr. Alan White in the Philosophy Department and his wife Jane Nicholls in the Development Office, just to see whether they can figure out where the heck that came from. Perhaps you have already encountered Jane yourself -- she is director of the parents' fund, responsible for soliciting contributions from folks such as you! :-)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
December 25th, 2010 at 8:18:51 AM permalink
Quote: PeteM

Merry Christmas AZ! And in response to that little Imhofe/DeMintesque "War on Christmas" dig, a Happy Solstice as well. At least I hope so. I've informed a couple of my smaller, weaker fellow employees that if we don't start seeing slightly longer days shortly, I'm going to drag one of them outside, chain him to a rock, open his chest with a dovetail saw and offer his heart in propitation to the Sun God(got to cover all the bases).

Merry Christmas to all, and may all your sixes and eights be hard ones!

I'll accept wishes for a happy anything. More people should as well.

I could make a stickman joke about the second part, but it is Christmas. But such a post for the new year and myabe :-)
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
December 25th, 2010 at 9:10:30 AM permalink
Merry Christmas! I've never been big on "Happy Holidays," too PC. Christmas has become so secular that I think all are welcome to find some excuse to celebrate something about it.

My new year's wish is that the result of your gambling in 2011 be in the right side of the bell curve, which is my way of saying "good luck."
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
December 25th, 2010 at 7:38:56 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Merry Christmas! I've never been big on "Happy Holidays," too PC. Christmas has become so secular that I think all are welcome to find some excuse to celebrate something about it.

My new year's wish is that the result of your gambling in 2011 be in the right side of the bell curve, which is my way of saying "good luck."

My Christmas wish is that everyone learn to stop stuffing their belief systems down everyone else's throats, and to break the habit of using the fact that someone does not share your personal mythology as an excuse to rant at, insult, unfairly characterize, discriminate against, exclude, shoot at, blow up, or drop bombs on that person. My wish will not be granted, of course.

I have no problems with either "Happy Holidays" OR "Merry Christmas"--the only problem I have is with anyone who tells anyone else that they can't, or shouldn't, use either expression if they so choose. I do agree that it's quite possible to have a "Merry Christmas" regardless of what belief system you indulge in. I just had a very merry Christmas, and I don't believe in any of the associated mythology--nor did I need to. I sang beautiful carols with a choir about things I am virtually certain that never happened and about beings and creatures that don't exist. But I enjoyed it anyway. I exchanged gifts with friends and family, and we stuffed ourselves with the requisite foods. Some of my friends went to church. Some didn't. I didn't. But we all met afterward and had a great time, without anybody judging others' respective ways of celebrating. And everyone was happy! What a concept!
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
December 25th, 2010 at 8:08:42 PM permalink
Just an hour left on this side of the country, so I'll just add this thought which
I heard recently...

"Be nice to each other, and if you can't do that, then at least
try to stay out of each other's way !".

Merry Christmas to all, and to ALL I hope you have a very Happy Holiday.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
December 25th, 2010 at 8:30:53 PM permalink
Man there's some confused & unhappy people on this forum....even in a feel-good thread like this. If they could only learn to live and let live.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
December 25th, 2010 at 8:31:48 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

I do agree that it's quite possible to have a "Merry Christmas" regardless of what belief system you indulge in.

My wife and I, plus our son and his bride-to-be, had a wonderful Christmas dinner at the home of one of our closest Jewish friends with her daughter and son-in-law. Last year, we had Easter dinner with them. Our divergent religious beliefs, or the lack thereof, does not interfere with our friendship or our opportunities to commune together to celebrate the good times in our lives.
mkl654321
mkl654321
December 25th, 2010 at 11:20:35 PM permalink

Man there's some confused & unhappy people on this forum....even in a feel-good thread like this. If they could only learn to live and let live.

You subverted the very idea of "feel-good" in your original post, when you juuuust couldn't resist taking a dig at those people who don't think like you. Tendering a "Merry Christmas" message, immediately followed by an insult aimed at a category of people you don't like, doesn't promote harmony--it sows discord. Do you truly not understand that? And do you truly not understand that your remark about "confused and unhappy people" does no good whatsover, except to gratify yourself? Doing what you've done in this thread is like sending someone a Christmas card smeared with horse dung.

And I know you'll fling your usual Jerry-insults at me--you are utterly incapable of not doing so--but after you do that, please answer my question: why did you post a metaphorical dung-smeared Christmas card?
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
December 26th, 2010 at 8:27:34 AM permalink

And I know you'll fling your usual Jerry-insults at me--you are utterly incapable of not doing so--but after you do that, please answer my question: why did you post a metaphorical dung-smeared Christmas card?

Metaphorical? Pronounce the mis-spelling in this thread's title with a sloppy accent and listen to yourself in French.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
December 26th, 2010 at 10:50:50 AM permalink

You subverted the very idea of "feel-good" in your original post, when you juuuust couldn't resist taking a dig at those people who don't think like you. Tendering a "Merry Christmas" message, immediately followed by an insult aimed at a category of people you don't like, doesn't promote harmony--it sows discord. Do you truly not understand that? And do you truly not understand that your remark about "confused and unhappy people" does no good whatsover, except to gratify yourself? Doing what you've done in this thread is like sending someone a Christmas card smeared with horse dung.

How many times doe THAT make where you said you "were no longer going to respond to JL" but just couldn't help yourself in doing so! Now do you see why you can't be trusted, and from your insulting rant above, now do you see why I believe you are so hateful and conflicted that you wear your unhappiness on your sleeve?
Toes14
Toes14
  • Threads: 18
December 26th, 2010 at 2:40:57 PM permalink
And a Happy Festivus to the rest of us!
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
mkl654321
mkl654321
December 27th, 2010 at 1:17:28 PM permalink

How many times doe THAT make where you said you "were no longer going to respond to JL" but just couldn't help yourself in doing so! Now do you see why you can't be trusted, and from your insulting rant above, now do you see why I believe you are so hateful and conflicted that you wear your unhappiness on your sleeve?

I decided to respond to your post because it was such a horrid example of intolerant assholery, particularly in the context of the season. It was a hugely hypocritical act, even for you, to put one of your nasty rants in the context of a "Christmas greeting". In short, it was so incredibly offensive that I thought you needed to be rebuked directly. While distasteful, I took on that burden.

And I'll respond to you, or choose not to, any time I bloody well feel like it, whether you like it or not. I certainly CAN help myself one way or another--note that I don't grant you the privilege of talking to me any more--so I'll be turning you off again now. Feel free to respond with a hate-filled rant. You can't, however, no matter what you do, escape the shame of having posted something so abhorrently antisocial. Except by apologizing (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...).
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
December 27th, 2010 at 1:49:00 PM permalink

I decided to respond to your post because it was such a horrid example of intolerant assholery, particularly in the context of the season. It was a hugely hypocritical act, even for you, to put one of your nasty rants in the context of a "Christmas greeting". In short, it was so incredibly offensive that I thought you needed to be rebuked directly. While distasteful, I took on that burden.

And I'll respond to you, or choose not to, any time I bloody well feel like it, whether you like it or not. I certainly CAN help myself one way or another--note that I don't grant you the privilege of talking to me any more--so I'll be turning you off again now. Feel free to respond with a hate-filled rant. You can't, however, no matter what you do, escape the shame of having posted something so abhorrently antisocial. Except by apologizing (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...).

MKL, you're not making a foolish spectacle of yourself by responding to me "whether I like it or not". You're doing so simply because you can't help yourself by responding after claiming you would no longer do so, and even that, after a cry-baby assault on the normal world.
nmacgre
nmacgre
  • Threads: 14
January 10th, 2011 at 6:33:14 AM permalink
tyvm.
  • Jump to: