Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
August 15th, 2021 at 9:16:32 AM permalink
August 15th ,1945 saw the forces of Imperial Japan surrender and marked the end of the global nightmare now called World War 2. It is personal for me as my Dad , along with some 50,000 of his Marine Brothers were preparing for the invasion of Japan and were expecting to be forced to engage in combat with every living person in the country. Dropping the two atomic bombs ended the war, saving millions of Japanese from dying in defense of their home and saving perhaps hundreds of thousands of American lives as well. As horrible as dropping the bombs was, the alternative- invading and slugging it out with the military and civilian populations would have been much worse.
My father went on to spend much of the next twenty years being based in Japan, where I was born. I've always wondered how he managed to work with the same people who killed so many of his friends and brothers but that was a conversation we never had.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
  • Jump to: