SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
March 10th, 2021 at 1:02:10 PM permalink
If anyone is interested.....

I signed up over a year ago for the Chase Bonvoy credit card. I can't remember the details, but I think I got 75k points after spending $3k, plus a free night for signing up. Over the next year I received another 2 free night certificate, plus whatever points I earned. After spending some of the 75k points for a hotel stay right after I signed up, I now have 45k points left.

So I'm going to Florida, and we are spending 7 nights in The Villages (a great deal, for another thread...), and 3 nights in the Sanibel area. So I was going to use my 3 free nights.....but..... apparently my certificates are only worth 35k points a night, and the hotel I chose was 40k points a night. So when I called and asked to use my certificates and 15k of my points.... NO! The certificates have to be used on a property that is 35k a night or less.... or else they are worthless! I am sure the fine print says so.... I called and complained to both Marriott and Chase..... no avail.... Eventually booked a lower level property (with wife's permission!) but I was pissed with the entire experience. Even the final booking of that property was a pain in the ass, with the phone representative unable at first to locate my free nights, etc... The 3 nights would have been around $900, so I guess it was worth it, but I'd rather have been at the $400 a night property using my certificates and points.

I will say this, there are so many quintuple point options to earn points, I am not sure if I will keep the card. Knowing the annual 'free night' might not be at a hotel I want is unfortunate.....

The Southwest card is great. Never had any issues.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
  • Threads: 88
March 10th, 2021 at 1:28:13 PM permalink
With over 1600 nights at Marriot properties, and 19 straight years as a Platinum member ( min. 75 nights per year) I have qualified as a Lifetime Titanium Elite member under their new Bonvoy program. Lifetime is no longer available no matter how many nights or money you spend. I'm glad I made the decision to be a loyal Marriot member 30 years ago when I was traveling. It was way better than Holiday Inn or even Hilton Honor program and has paid off big-time. Nice to be able to still experience the VIP upgrades when I do travel.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
March 10th, 2021 at 2:11:23 PM permalink
VegasRider that's a good status, and useful. That's even better that you got lifetime status so that the recent downturn in travel won't affect you.

I have that Chase Bonvoy card too. Annual fee $85. as you know. I got it just a couple years ago or so because we were planning a trip to stay at a very nice Marriott resort and there was some promotion going by using the card, but then ended up staying at an entirely different non-Marriott resort where a connection I had got us a bigger suite for less. I did get the -$200. New Cardmember Credit for charging, I think it was, at least 500. on it quickly?

Haven't used the card for much of anything since, and keep paying the 85. per year. I have stacks of no annual fee credit cards, but tend to use only the ones with 2% cash back lately, and just pay them off in full each month.

Soopoo, I too have never been able to use those free night certificates it delivers once a year. The first one flat out expired - never even got around to thinking of using it. There are two on it now, with one rolled over and unexpired due to the Pandemic. One will expire by end of this year, the other at beginning of next.

I assume because I have not used the card for much of anything, my certs are only 25K points each. Very recently we were away on a two week or so vacation, and were thinking of staying at a Marriott and thought to use those certificates. Same experience as you - seemed to be no way to pay to upgrade the certs or apply them against the stay, and just ended up staying at a different, actually nicer hotel, that is not even a Marriott.

Where could I stay for only 25K points? An airport Marriott, lol? There are no needs to travel for court appearances these days. The last time I had to do one of those in person was about a year ago.

About the only thing that Chase Bonvoy card does provide is automatic silver elite status. But I already have a Platinum AMEX which provides automatic gold elite status. And - it doesn't seem like we stay much at Bonvoy resorts, especially lately, anyway. I've let the platinum AMEX go, before, and may again. It costs $550. per year and with air travel not exactly being the norm these days, its benefits for us are waning.

This Marriott Bonvoy program merged the Starwood Preferred Gold (SPG) with Marriott. I still have my old SPG gold card. The Bonaventure in LA accepted that card and would upgrade to a suite and give the next day 5pm or so checkout time. Haven't stayed at the Bonaventure in a while, it's now a Westin, but that falls under Marriott Bonvoy too, I believe.

When you check in to the Cosmopolitan right next to VIP is the Autograph lounge. But, we're fully comp'ed VIP at the Cosmo, so again - Bonvoy program is of no benefit to us in Vegas. I haven't done it, but I believe you may transfer Cosmo IDENTITY points to Bonvoy. That might be something, because we rarely use the points anyway since most everything is comp'ed.

Maybe in another year when travel becomes more the norm again, the Bonvoy program will come back to being useful for us.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
  • Threads: 88
March 10th, 2021 at 4:49:31 PM permalink
During my lifetime with Marriott I accumulated over 2 million points. Only thing I regret now is that I used most of it purchasing things out of their catalog. Redeemed over a million points for two gigantic TV's. Since I use to spend 300 nights a year on the road for decades, the last thing I wanted to do was go back out traveling again. Now that I no longer travel for a living, I wish I had kept those points, as their program was one of the only ones that never expired. I did redeem points for a weeks vacation in Rio and in Maui.

In short, you get more value out of your hotel points if you redeem them for hotel stays. Something I really didn't do too much of when I had millions of points.
Aussie
Aussie
  • Threads: 12
March 10th, 2021 at 6:17:51 PM permalink
Have racked up probably a million Bonvoy points from credit card spend and sign up bonuses over the last 3 or 4 years. Use them when I travel to locations where accomodation is relatively expensive. Redeemed a 3 night stay at the Ritz Carlton Central Park last time time I was in New York. 240,000 points plus $10 for a 6th Avenue room that was going for close to $5,000 over the same period. Don’t regret it for a second.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
March 10th, 2021 at 7:05:40 PM permalink
SooPoo, do you know where you are staying in Sanibel? My wife and I have spent a lot of time in that area as I have family in Cape Coral. I think Captiva has the nicest hotel on the cape, but Sanibel is relaxing but the beaches are not the best. Ft Meyers beach is fun but still isn't a great beach in my opinion. Sorry, I am spoiled but the beaches in the Caribbean are so superior to anything in Florida.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 11th, 2021 at 4:07:00 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

SooPoo, do you know where you are staying in Sanibel? My wife and I have spent a lot of time in that area as I have family in Cape Coral. I think Captiva has the nicest hotel on the cape, but Sanibel is relaxing but the beaches are not the best. Ft Meyers beach is fun but still isn't a great beach in my opinion. Sorry, I am spoiled but the beaches in the Caribbean are so superior to anything in Florida.

Residence Inn Sanibel. Wife wanted a central point to see Sanibel, Captiva, Marco Island, Fort Myers, Naples area. I like beaches/ ocean swimming but I am sure it will be too cold for wife. We will visit a few beaches for probably an hour each.

To answer the others on Bonvoy.... my point is just to be aware of the restrictions on the ‘free nights’ certificates that you get. In the end it is really ok for me, too. Just a bad taste....
DRich
DRich
March 11th, 2021 at 6:45:46 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Residence Inn Sanibel. Wife wanted a central point to see Sanibel, Captiva, Marco Island, Fort Myers, Naples area. I like beaches/ ocean swimming but I am sure it will be too cold for wife. We will visit a few beaches for probably an hour each.

To answer the others on Bonvoy.... my point is just to be aware of the restrictions on the ‘free nights’ certificates that you get. In the end it is really ok for me, too. Just a bad taste....

If you or your wife like to collect shells on the beach Sanibel is good for that if you get there early in the morning. That was never much interest for me but my wife likes to do it.

My favorite part of going to Florida is to eat Grouper sandwiches and fresh shrimp.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 28th, 2021 at 5:27:07 AM permalink
So trip is over. I am WAY more happy with Bonvoy now than I was before the trip. The free room we got was actually a 1 bedroom suite in Sanibel/Fort Myers Residence Inn. The hotel has a hot tub/pool complex that was nice enough. And the pool itself was heated very well. Also had a basketball court stocked with basketballs.

That hotel for free was better than paying the approximately $1.5k for the upscale Marriott on the harbor 1 mile away.

I am pretty sure I’m going to keep the credit card.
DRich
DRich
March 28th, 2021 at 5:56:03 AM permalink

So trip is over. I am WAY more happy with Bonvoy now than I was before the trip. The free room we got was actually a 1 bedroom suite in Sanibel/Fort Myers Residence Inn. The hotel has a hot tub/pool complex that was nice enough. And the pool itself was heated very well. Also had a basketball court stocked with basketballs.

That hotel for free was better than paying the approximately $1.5k for the upscale Marriott on the harbor 1 mile away.

I am pretty sure I’m going to keep the credit card.

Did you do any house hunting this trip? I spend quite a bit of time in the Ft. Meyers area as I have family on the Cape. Did you make it to Ft Meyers beach? There is a beach bar there I like called the Blue Whale, it may just be called the Whale now. My wife and I always go there at least once to eat a Grouper sandwich on the patio.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 28th, 2021 at 6:21:37 AM permalink
Yes. But we are at a standstill. Villages has so many advantages, but lacks what my wife calls ‘real Florida’. Which includes lushness, and of course beaches. Which Naples has. I think new plan is to rent a house in Villages maybe November, and Naples January. See how life is ‘living’ there less as a tourist.
Did go to Ft. Myers beach. Very nice beach but we didn’t have an umbrella and wife does not like to stay in sun too long. So only stayed around two hours. I like going in the ocean. Was much warmer than I anticipated. We ate on Sanibel and Captiva. Loved visiting but would not want to live on the end of a single road....
I had stone crabs.... my treat....
DRich
DRich
March 28th, 2021 at 11:51:12 AM permalink
Very good idea to rent the first year.

I would also have no desire to live on Sanibel or Captiva. I still like Sarasota and would consider moving there.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
October 29th, 2021 at 4:31:57 AM permalink
Marriott Bonvoy just announced that you can now combine your free night certificates with additional points to upgrade to a nicer property!
They reacted to my complaint!!! (And probably hundreds of other people, but I can claim credit?)
(Starts in 2022).

Up to 15,000 points per night. Since the certificates are good for a 35,000 points per night property, it gets you up to at least 50,000 point per night property. It would have worked for me last trip. I think the really high end places may be 60k per night though.
DRich
DRich
October 29th, 2021 at 8:53:09 AM permalink

Yes. But we are at a standstill. Villages has so many advantages, but lacks what my wife calls ‘real Florida’. Which includes lushness, and of course beaches. Which Naples has. I think new plan is to rent a house in Villages maybe November, and Naples January. See how life is ‘living’ there less as a tourist.
Did go to Ft. Myers beach. Very nice beach but we didn’t have an umbrella and wife does not like to stay in sun too long. So only stayed around two hours. I like going in the ocean. Was much warmer than I anticipated. We ate on Sanibel and Captiva. Loved visiting but would not want to live on the end of a single road....
I had stone crabs.... my treat....
link to original post

I know this is an old post, but you didn't go in the ocean there. You went in the Gulf of Mexico. The water in the Gulf is usually much warmer than the ocean.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
October 30th, 2021 at 8:05:34 AM permalink
SooPoo, you sure about that? When I look in my Marriott Bonvoy app today, I see this below the list of my available Certificates:

I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
October 30th, 2021 at 8:14:10 AM permalink
Quote: MDawg

SooPoo, you sure about that? When I look in my Marriott Bonvoy app today, I see this below the list of my available Certificates:

link to original post

Beginning 2022. So not just yet.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 12th, 2024 at 11:57:32 AM permalink
So went to use my annual free night. Rock Hill, South Carolina, aka middle of nowhere. But on my route to Florida. Found a suite in a ‘pet friendly’ Marriott property. Suite without pet less than $160 for a night. So I get it free easily. Book it…. and then notice a $167 charge for the pet! Cancel. Am pissed. Call the hotel directly. Super friendly person picks up and says.. ‘I’ll reinstate the reservation, and upon arrival there will be a $30 (plus tax) charge for the pet. I’ll send you the pet registration form that delineates the charge. Is that OK?’

So I have no idea how the Bonvoy website decided to charge me $167 when it will be around $33. Glad I called.
DRich
DRich
March 12th, 2024 at 6:08:35 PM permalink

So I'm going to Florida, and we are spending 7 nights in The Villages (a great deal, for another thread...), and 3 nights in the Sanibel area.

Feel free to say hello when you are in the Sanibel area. I think I still owe you a coffee or two.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 12th, 2024 at 6:36:10 PM permalink

So I'm going to Florida, and we are spending 7 nights in The Villages (a great deal, for another thread...), and 3 nights in the Sanibel area.

Feel free to say hello when you are in the Sanibel area. I think I still owe you a coffee or two.
link to original post

That post is from years ago. Just the Villages this time. It’s a pretty long drive….
DRich
DRich
March 13th, 2024 at 8:01:10 AM permalink

\

That post is from years ago. Just the Villages this time. It’s a pretty long drive….

Isn't a three hour drive worth it for a free coffee?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 13th, 2024 at 9:23:18 AM permalink

\

Isn't a three hour drive worth it for a free coffee?
link to original post

If you drive up golf is on me. (You still have to buy the coffee…)

If I’m going someplace I want to the 3 hour drive there is ok. It’s when I’m done I generally hate the return drive.
  • Jump to: