kewlj
kewlj
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 4299
February 3rd, 2021 at 11:07:48 AM permalink
Swung by a casino the other day to play my $75 in weekly free play/ When I went to download, there was $3750 in free play. I downloaded, played, cashed out.

Any chance they come back at me, wanting it back? I figure if it was just me, they wouldn't. But it was the first of the month and my FP amount was 50x what it should have been. What if by some glitch, they game everybody 50x the amount they should have gotten? I figure then they might try to recoup. Anyone ever have anything like this happen?
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 46
  • Posts: 5279
February 3rd, 2021 at 11:11:22 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Swung by a casino the other day to play my $75 in weekly free play/ When I went to download, there was $3750 in free play. I downloaded, played, cashed out.

Any chance they come back at me, wanting it back? I figure if it was just me, they wouldn't. But it was the first of the month and my FP amount was 50x what it should have been. What if by some glitch, they game everybody 50x the amount they should have gotten? I figure then they might try to recoup. Anyone ever have anything like this happen?

Isn't the taxable ( and therefore legal) value of freeplay Zero?. Nothing to claim back?
Beware. The earth is NOT flat. Hit and run is not a winning strategy: Pressing into trends IS not a winning strategy: Progressives are not a winning strategy: Don't Buy It! .Don't even take it for free.
rainman
rainman
Joined: Mar 28, 2012
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 1466
February 3rd, 2021 at 2:39:20 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Isn't the taxable ( and therefore legal) value of freeplay Zero?. Nothing to claim back?



Once he ran it through it isn't free play anymore it's winnings.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 46
  • Posts: 5279
February 3rd, 2021 at 3:37:07 PM permalink
Quote: rainman

Once he ran it through it isn't free play anymore it's winnings.

Of course, and he'd be taxed on his winnings.
But the casino didn't give him those winnings, he won them. They gave him free play of Zero monetary value. If they cancelled it before he played it, no issue. I don't see that they could claim compensation from any winnings. They might just say.... We are going to hold back on your future 3K of freeplay.
Beware. The earth is NOT flat. Hit and run is not a winning strategy: Pressing into trends IS not a winning strategy: Progressives are not a winning strategy: Don't Buy It! .Don't even take it for free.
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 258
  • Posts: 8408
February 3rd, 2021 at 3:51:02 PM permalink
Quote: rainman

Once he ran it through it isn't free play anymore it's winnings.



No, it's considered a rebate on prior purchases (gambling in this case).

If you purchase a high value item and get a $100 rebate in the mail, that's not taxable income.

Neither is winning from freeplay.

I know the naysayers will argue about Jackpots won with freeplay. Imo you would win in tax court but probably easier to pay taxes on those
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 77
  • Posts: 7539
February 3rd, 2021 at 3:55:52 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Swung by a casino the other day to play my $75 in weekly free play/ When I went to download, there was $3750 in free play. I downloaded, played, cashed out.

Any chance they come back at me, wanting it back? I figure if it was just me, they wouldn't. But it was the first of the month and my FP amount was 50x what it should have been. What if by some glitch, they game everybody 50x the amount they should have gotten? I figure then they might try to recoup. Anyone ever have anything like this happen?



If they found there was fraud involved they will definitely expect it back. It is not uncommon for workers to put free play on peoples account nefariously for them to cash it out later.
Order from chaos
rainman
rainman
Joined: Mar 28, 2012
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 1466
February 3rd, 2021 at 4:13:30 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

No, it's considered a rebate on prior purchases (gambling in this case).

If you purchase a high value item and get a $100 rebate in the mail, that's not taxable income.

Neither is winning from freeplay.

I know the naysayers will argue about Jackpots won with freeplay. Imo you would win in tax court but probably easier to pay taxes on those



What happens when he hits a jackpot with his freeplay?

edit: posted without reading your entire post.
Last edited by: rainman on Feb 3, 2021
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 111
  • Posts: 7967
February 3rd, 2021 at 5:19:46 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Swung by a casino the other day to play my $75 in weekly free play/ When I went to download, there was $3750 in free play. I downloaded, played, cashed out.

Any chance they come back at me, wanting it back? I figure if it was just me, they wouldn't. But it was the first of the month and my FP amount was 50x what it should have been. What if by some glitch, they game everybody 50x the amount they should have gotten? I figure then they might try to recoup. Anyone ever have anything like this happen?



I’m not sure what they could want back? They gave you free play, which I think THEY define as not having any cash value. Since you do not own any slot machines to give them free play on.... Can they ask you for money back? Sure.... I cannot see how they could legally get it from you. Could they perma ban you? I would guess so. My guess is it’s all good! Is it possible you were the millionth customer or something? Or won a drawing without knowing about it?

FWIW, wife was supposed to get $4,500 in a monthly payment. Starting January. In December she noticed $30,000 and $1,500 payments from major company. I told her not to spend any of it. After her making LOTS of phone calls the $30000 was supposed to be $3000. And when they told her January they said it actually starts December, so the payment was wrong but the month was right. Result,...??? They asked her to write them a check for $27k! I ‘think’ someone would have noticed the extra 27k, but really, who knows?
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 77
  • Posts: 7539
February 3rd, 2021 at 8:42:47 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I

FWIW, wife was supposed to get $4,500 in a monthly payment. Starting January. In December she noticed $30,000 and $1,500 payments from major company. I told her not to spend any of it. After her making LOTS of phone calls the $30000 was supposed to be $3000. And when they told her January they said it actually starts December, so the payment was wrong but the month was right. Result,...??? They asked her to write them a check for $27k! I ‘think’ someone would have noticed the extra 27k, but really, who knows?



If it was in an account that you regularly use I would assume most people would notice it. If it went into an investment account it might never be notice.
Order from chaos
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 151
  • Posts: 19437
February 3rd, 2021 at 8:46:16 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Swung by a casino the other day to play my $75 in weekly free play/ When I went to download, there was $3750 in free play. I downloaded, played, cashed out.

Any chance they come back at me, wanting it back? I figure if it was just me, they wouldn't. But it was the first of the month and my FP amount was 50x what it should have been. What if by some glitch, they game everybody 50x the amount they should have gotten? I figure then they might try to recoup. Anyone ever have anything like this happen?

You should have sent a PM to others in the community so they could have went and checked their cards as well. Then again, I'm not sure if you should have admitted you knew it was a mistake in writing. Further more, you have said in the past you won't take advantage of dealers mistakes and other angle type things. Didn't you say that you point out the dealer mistake, and, or, give the money back, or something like that? I don't know if you said you find it personally unethical or whatever. I can't see much differences between that and this situation. It's a simply slope, welcome to the dark side KJ, we will be neighbors in hell 😊.

You were lucky it downloaded more than 3k. Many places have various limits, oftentimes, it's much less, for exactly this, and other reasons.

Were you able to cash out your entire ticket without going to the cage? Did the ticket kiosk take the ticket?

There are defiantly some do's and don'ts when it comes to this situation, IF you want to take full advantage of it. I'm not going to go into that publicly.

This DID happen on a fairly big scale at a LV casino years ago. The extra amounts added were in the many thousands, I SEEN over 11k. It went on for a while, but it was kind of tricky, since you didn't always get the extra free play. And here was the best part, depending on how you look at it... you didn't even have to earn any free play offers. You just needed a players card and had to sign up for their free daily/weekly text offers.

The casino went to gaming. Ultimately the casino sent the people who took advantage of it a letter demanding they return the money or be 86ed. I can't recall everything that was said in the letter, it may have mentioned possible civil action. You can guess how many AP's gave back the money. I don't know who all ended up actually getting 86ed, if anyone. I do know there were people who never 86ed and never heard any more about it.

I cant say for 100% certain, but I think you are safe at the casino all around. How you will be able to sleep at night...that's a different dilemma. 🤷‍♂️😊. I would sleep extra sound.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪

  • Jump to: