Namwan
Namwan
  • Threads: 1
August 27th, 2020 at 10:32:26 AM permalink
Hoping one of the smart dudes here can set my bookmaker straight.
When placing a baseball wager you are almost always offered the option of specifying the pitcher or action. If the pitcher is specified and he does not go, there is no bet.
However, if action is selected the bet stands no matter how late the pitcher is changed.

Recently, I won several parlays when the pitcher was changed 10 minutes prior to the game. They paid me but, changed the price based on the different pitcher. (I would never have made the bet based on the price paid). My guy said it has been like this for 25 years but, IMO both of us were taking a risk on a substitute pitcher. That’s what action means!! Setting a different price secretly should not be allowed.
My contention is the original price stands. He says it was never like that. Can anyone weigh in? Thanks
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
August 27th, 2020 at 11:04:01 AM permalink
Quote: Namwan

Hoping one of the smart dudes here can set my bookmaker straight.
When placing a baseball wager you are almost always offered the option of specifying the pitcher or action. If the pitcher is specified and he does not go, there is no bet.
However, if action is selected the bet stands no matter how late the pitcher is changed.

Recently, I won several parlays when the pitcher was changed 10 minutes prior to the game. They paid me but, changed the price based on the different pitcher. (I would never have made the bet based on the price paid). My guy said it has been like this for 25 years but, IMO both of us were taking a risk on a substitute pitcher. That’s what action means!! Setting a different price secretly should not be allowed.
My contention is the original price stands. He says it was never like that. Can anyone weigh in? Thanks

In Las Vegas the price usually changes when the pitcher changes. It sounds to me like your bookie is correct.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
August 27th, 2020 at 11:23:54 AM permalink
The action bet means you have action, regardless of price. If bookmakers did things differently, there would be massive arbitrage opportunities for players.

An interesting sidelight to this is that many offshore books this season, because it's all a mess, are taking bets only as action as opposed to quoted pitchers.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
Namwan
Namwan
August 27th, 2020 at 12:20:14 PM permalink
Thanks for the reply. So basically, I’m helpless as well as in the dark as to the new price, correct? If I had lost the bet, would I have even seen this ridiculous new price? Aren’t we both taking an equal chance that the new pitcher could help or hurt us? This creates an enormous opportunity for the BM to unfairly adjust the price.
Namwan
Namwan
August 27th, 2020 at 12:53:27 PM permalink
Yes of course it does But this ticket was already written. It’s funny that the opposing pitcher was worse and they reduced the price instead of increased it.
  • Jump to: