DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 26
July 2nd, 2020 at 12:04:50 PM permalink
Quote: Vegasrider

AP for bank robberies. Now you can rob a bank and don't have to worry about getting recognized. Wearing a mask and sunglasses. Nobody will 2nd guess your intentions.

Sorry the banks are not open except for appointments or window tellers
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
  • Threads: 54
July 2nd, 2020 at 1:04:48 PM permalink
Quote: DeMango

Sorry the banks are not open except for appointments or window tellers

Depends who you bank with. Mine is open, certain branched.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 206
July 7th, 2020 at 12:56:26 AM permalink
Masks are now required in WV and there is no smoking as long as people are required to wear masks.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
Minty
Minty
  • Threads: 7
July 7th, 2020 at 4:19:16 AM permalink
If people wore masks earlier, there's a fair chance they wouldn't be required to now. Delayed gratification might play a role here.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
gordonm888
gordonm888 
  • Threads: 38
July 7th, 2020 at 10:49:46 AM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

This looks to be a fairly exhaustive study. I’m not talking about people talking out of their asses....but there does seem to be some credible studies that don’t promote the idea that masks are effective. They also cite that wearing masks may cause other issues such as people not washing their hands as much, touching or readjusting their mask and other issues related to wearing a mask that might contribute to “ineffectiveness”.

The reality is there is no concrete evidence to support a blanket statement that masks work for a pandemic such as this. We may know at some point....but that will be further down the line.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article

The transmission modes for influenza -the subject of the study posted above -are very different than for Covid-19. This article is probably not relevant.

We all know that Covid-19 is aspirated from human mouths inside of water particles. However, the initial studies simply assumed that all the virus was in large aspirated water particles which sink pretty quickly to the ground or onto other surfaces (countertops, etc.) This was the basis for the original guidance that hand washing was critical, but face masks were not a good source of protection - because large water particles plummet below the face level fairly quickly.

BUT THAT HAS ALL CHANGED. Covid-19 is also transmitted in small water particles of 5 microns diameter (and maybe even smaller) that come out of the human mouth, . Such tiny particles do not sink rapidly to the ground. They may stay airborne for tens of seconds to tens of minutes.

One piece of good news - smaller water particles will usually have a smaller viral load than large particles -which may result in a less severe course for the virus in the human body.

SO here are some bottom lines that I believe:

1. Face masks are essential for stopping the virus.

2. You can be walking or jogging and literally become infected by traveling through air that has been recently vacated by another person.

3. Even small crowds in indoor spaces with less-than optimal ventilation pose substantial jeopardy of infection -probably infecting a large fraction of the people present.

4. A distance of 6 feet, while a large help in reducing transmission, is probably not a large enough separation in some situations.

Why isn't this reaching the level of Dr. Fauci? Because of rivalries amongst epidemioligists -conservative epidemioligists who have stressed hand-washing don't want to reverse direction and concede that they were wrong. Science is as bedeviled by assholes who are trying to profit by building a reputation as any other field of human endeavor.
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 168
July 7th, 2020 at 1:37:59 PM permalink
Perhaps masks will be proven ineffective. Maybe in ten years, we will see how dumb we were for wearing them. That's a chance I'm willing to take.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 206
July 7th, 2020 at 1:59:43 PM permalink
People do it, they need to mandate a celibacy mask. Hanky panky a big cause during lockdown.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
racquet
racquet
  • Threads: 45
July 8th, 2020 at 6:44:16 AM permalink
No one that frequents these forums is a medical expert, me included. Neither are the talking heads and empty suits in the media. Scientific studies provide verifiable results, limited as they may be, and as hard as they are to find.

Replies here, rationalizing mask wearing by expanding on the few, older studies that exist and concluding that those studies aren't applicable because of some supposed difference between COVID and influenza makes no more sense than other "scientific" advise about playing roulette or craps. "Experts" exist everywhere, especially nowadays when all you need to be one is an internet connection.

When new scientifically valid studies are completed, verified and published, the facts will become known. It may well be that mask wearing will turn out to be an effective way to prevent the spread of the virus. When I see reports like the one cited above that confirm this, I will believe them.

But until then, I never accept as The Whole Truth anything that I see on the web, on television, or in a forum on gambling.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 46
Thanks for this post from:
ams288
July 8th, 2020 at 7:15:25 AM permalink
Quote: racquet

No one that frequents these forums is a medical expert

SOOPOO is an MD
Armagedden
Armagedden
  • Threads: 0
Thanks for this post from:
tringlomane
July 8th, 2020 at 8:12:16 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

SOOPOO is an MD

Here is another MD's story and his advice [People got burnt, then they will learn quickly not to repeat the same mistake twice]:

"I thought I was INVINCIBLE—I thought I was immune to this coronavirus because I am healthy and young. But I was wrong..."

https://medicine.iu.edu/blogs/student-life/i-am-not-invincible-my-covid-19-story

• Jump to: