Thread Rating:

JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
November 17th, 2010 at 5:53:07 AM permalink
Is it possible? I admit I don't watch the show but it sure does get a lot of news coverage. I've been up some overnight and the Internet is already hot on that subject.

Of course whenever there's a Palin involved in media coverage, there's controversy. Here it seems this really cute black gal named Brandy was the darling of the judges and Palin flopped "again" yet the fans vote people off and it was Brandy who got the axe, leaving 2 or 3 contestants.

So what happens? Palin-haters are making it politically motivated, by claiming Republican groups are setting up call centers urging people to vote for Bristol, and they're saying there's some kind of block on calling in votes for Brandy!

But at the end of the day, it all seems so simple to me. Brandy is representing Obama and Bristol's representing her mom. The people vote, and the people are once again showing that talent and/or qualifications have absolutely nothing to do with getting the majority of the votes in this country.

They say no way she can win, but shouldn't she be at least 50-50 by now?

OK, it's DWTS.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
November 17th, 2010 at 6:33:42 AM permalink
According to the last wager made on it at InTrade.com, she has a 14% chance of winning. The trading volume is very low on that, so take it with a grain of salt.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
November 17th, 2010 at 9:59:55 AM permalink
I don't know how you can put odds on such a thing. There is a perverse pleasure many people get in seeing Bristol stay on the show. Her team has now gotten the lowest score from the judges 5 out of the last 7 competitions.

There is even a website called Vote for the Worst for devotees of keeping the less talented on these shows for purely entertainment reasons.

But I don't think the perverse voters can decide the final outcome. Brandy did not have a broad audience in her previous television shows. But Jennifer Grey (age 50) generates a huge amount of empathy among older people, and Kyle Massey (age 19) has the whole Disney generation behind him as well as a lot of personal appeal for his huge improvements.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
November 17th, 2010 at 10:08:27 AM permalink
FWIW, if I watch I'm voting for Jennifer Grey. She dances well, but she looks great.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
November 17th, 2010 at 12:01:19 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

There is even a website called Vote for the Worst for devotees of keeping the less talented on these shows for purely entertainment reasons.

Didn't Jerry Springer say he was the worst in his season, and was kept around because he was the biggest star?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
ElectricDreams
ElectricDreams
  • Threads: 4
November 17th, 2010 at 12:26:46 PM permalink
Do the audience votes actually matter for this show, by the way? I remember reading an article a while back about how the American Idol audience only counts for a fraction of the total vote, and the rest is decided by producers of the show, or something.

Essentially, maybe it's not even decided by popular vote at all - maybe there are just some execs picking the people who will bring in the most viewers.
  • Jump to: