dead gorgeous blonde in a red dress.
He orders a Dewer's on the rocks.
I normally didn't serve people that
drunk, but he had an English accent
and there was a distinctive cool air
about him. And there was the Blonde.

He sits in a booth, and I say to a customer
I know, is that girl beautiful or what. He
responds, she's with Joe Cocker you idiot.
And I'm going to ask him to play pool.

So call everybody I can think of and
soon the bar is packed, all of us watching
Joe Cocker play pool. He makes those
same jerky movements with his hands
that he makes when he sings.

He kept singing bits of his songs as
he played, it was very entertaining.
His audience would applaud at times.

He lasted about 90 min, and just collapsed
in a pile on the floor. "Oh Joe, the blonde
said "not again." She asked if we could
carry him out and 5 of us carried him
like a dead man to the back of a new
pickup with a mattress in the bed. The
girl thanked us profusely and said he
does this almost every night. I didn't
even know women that stunning existed
in real life.

"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 20
May 12th, 2019 at 7:42:19 PM permalink
I played poker with Kevin Durant, thatís all Iíve got.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. ó Amarillo Slim Preston
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 418
May 12th, 2019 at 8:03:18 PM permalink
Joe Cocker gave me a $10 bill
for a $3 drink, and turned away
and went to a booth. A $7 tip
40 years ago was like a $22
tip today, not too shabby.

Of course from then on he
bought no drinks, everybody
was buying them for him.
Sigh.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
midwestgb
midwestgb
  • Threads: 12
May 12th, 2019 at 8:14:09 PM permalink
Met Ted Williams in 1969, on my 9th birthday, at a hotel in Kansas City when he was there with the Washington Senators, in his first year managing the team. A family friend who was with us that day walked up to Ted in the hotel Coffee Shop, told him it was my birthday, and asked him for an autograph on my behalf. Ted obliged.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 20
May 12th, 2019 at 8:23:05 PM permalink
Quote: midwestgb

Met Ted Williams in 1969, on my 9th birthday, at a hotel in Kansas City when he was there with the Washington Senators, in his first year managing the team. A family friend who was with us that day walked up to Ted in the hotel Coffee Shop, told him it was my birthday, and asked him for an autograph on my behalf. Ted obliged.

You win! Lol Teddy Ballgame is as big a star as they get.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. ó Amarillo Slim Preston
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 149
May 12th, 2019 at 8:28:33 PM permalink
I've met many, being in the NYC club world for over a decade.

About 17 years ago, I'm flying back from Vegas using miles to get upgraded to first class. I take the late flight out of Vegas and have to switch flights in Dallas. I'm in 2A both segments. Get to Dallas, and get on the flight to NY. This plane has a slightly different set up than the last but I'm in the second row so how hard is it to find my seat. So no sooner do I sit down than someone tells me I'm in his seat. I say I'm in 2A and the guy sarcastically tells me that's great. Too bad you are in 3A and once again you are in my seat. I am at fault but the guys attitude sucks. I've never been on a plane where row 2 is the first row. All of a sudden I realize where I know him from, it's Neil Bush, the blacksheep of the family. I move to my seat, and someone stops beside me to tell Bush he admires his brother. He responds something like- that's great. I'm call him right now and let him know. Later, I see him arguing with another person by baggage claim.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 8
May 12th, 2019 at 8:32:33 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

General rule of thumb taught to me by an old Buffalo Soldier- If you can't get your point across in two sentences, don't bother. You don't have one.

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 149
May 12th, 2019 at 8:43:01 PM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

You win! Lol Teddy Ballgame is as big a star as they get.

I've been to a lot of major league games but the Friday night where the Mets honored Ted Williams was one of the biggest thrills. He couldn't talk much so instead of giving a speech they put him in a golf cart and he slowly circled the field. It was a pretty big crowd and the ovation kept building and building. Mike Piazza ended up hitting a monster homerun to win the game and that cheer wasn't half of what the crowd at Shea gave Ted Williams.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 89
May 12th, 2019 at 9:44:05 PM permalink
Met many at meets but only 1 suto famous person in a random place. Was walking in Bellagio about 15 years ago. Turned a corner ran smack into Phil helmuth. He was in a hurry and only said "watch it"
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 14
May 12th, 2019 at 9:46:53 PM permalink
I've met Chuck Norris, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Teri Garr, Dawn Wells, Gretchen Corbett, Rona Newton-John, Marcus Allen and Jeff Conaway. (I used to work in Hollywood, as the manager of a movie theatre. I have autographs of the first seven I named.)

• Jump to: