1 vote (25%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

4 members have voted

petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
April 1st, 2019 at 5:16:54 PM permalink
Do magazine restrictions make citizens more or less safe?
Sheriffs demonstration.

darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
April 1st, 2019 at 6:03:46 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

Do magazine restrictions make citizens more or less safe?
Sheriffs demonstration.

I dont think there should be any magazine restrictions

If I want to buy Playboy or Hustler or Mad magazine its no ones business
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
petroglyph
petroglyph
April 1st, 2019 at 6:33:48 PM permalink
I had never shot for speed with a pistol before the last time I went out. I always took time and tried for accuracy.

It's fun, I will do that some more, but it gets expensive pretty quick to.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 2nd, 2019 at 6:02:18 AM permalink
It seems to me that Jim is clearly pulling the trigger more quickly during the trials with more, smaller magazines. Intentional or not, this is not very scientific.

I was counting the shots and realized that they were leaving the last round from each mag in the chamber, which makes sense but was confusing me at first. With a 10-round mag, if you fire 9 rounds and leave the 10th in the chamber, then you don't need to rack the slide for the next mag. Obvious to anyone who shoots for speed, but it did throw me for a second.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
April 2nd, 2019 at 8:19:44 AM permalink
Terrible video. Lots of "what ifs" and very specific hypothetical situations.

The guy was clearly firing the 10 round magazines faster than the 15 round.

And the difference between the 15 round and the 6 round mag for the woman was what, like a good 6 seconds? That's an eternity in a CQB situation. That could easily mean a life or two saved.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 2nd, 2019 at 9:00:00 AM permalink
If you can't hit your target in the first ten shots, I'm not sure I want you having another bunch of bullets to spray about. Gun control means hitting your target.
I have friends that are alive because a madman who was shooting up their railroad car paused to reload the two semi automatic pistols and got tackled while his guns were empty. Same thing happened in Arizona with the Congressional shooting.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
petroglyph
petroglyph
April 2nd, 2019 at 11:09:23 AM permalink
Sure there are ways to disagree with the vid. But also things to think about, so I considered it a positive. I've always liked a chance to learn.
It certainly wasn't an experiment that would be carried out the same way as if MIT did a study, but interesting just the same, at least to me.
When the guys time on the 10 rounders was faster than the 15 round clips, going for the 30 total, I was impressed by how fast he was able to change magazines. I was also impressed by the skill in which the woman was able to perform that same function. They've both obviously practiced that maneuver many more times than I have.

By coincidence I came across 3 different story's where it was mentioned, that it was thought because the magazines in actual home defense situations were a factor in the homeowner saving themselves from home intruder situations because over 80% are misses [even by trained police] that those longer magazines gave the homeowners the extra few shots to protect themselves from bad guys.

Since I don't read that type of stuff usually, I hadn't really considered that value of extra capacity. I was one of those "if you can't get it done in 6 rounds" types. My cc only holds 6, and I don't plan on changing that. For my wife's home defense tool, she has a much larger magazine with .22 caliber, so the large capacity can be argued as a positive. Hers has been called "the hollywood gun" because it never runs out of bullets.

I was glad to see police supporting personal defense by private citizens, as Wash. state has passed such restrictive gun laws, the sheriffs have refused to enforce them.

Anyone can tear the video apart or get something from it if they watch objectively.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
April 2nd, 2019 at 11:52:03 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Gun control means hitting your target.

*gasp* From a Long Islander, no less. What a great day =)

Quote: AcesAndEights

...this is not very scientific.

Not whatsoever. It did make me LMAO, though. "Jim fires the weapon empty, simply discarding it and grabbing another from his bookbag. This is called 'The NY Reload'". I died. Laughing now thinking about it XD

Also, apologies to rxwine for all my "I only have two hands!" defensive arguments.

Carrying a manbag full of $50 wheelguns is my new favorite form of civil disobedience.

Quote: petroglyph

Sure there are ways to disagree with the vid. But also things to think about, so I considered it a positive. I've always liked a chance to learn.

Since I don't read that type of stuff usually, I hadn't really considered that value of extra capacity. I was one of those "if you can't get it done in 6 rounds" types.

That was one of the last "lessons" I finally learned. My issue was ourdoorsmanship, perhaps you're having the same one. Since age 8 it was always "one shot, one kill". Emptying a mag was seen as barbaric and idiotic. All shots came after minutes if not a couple hours of watching, contemplation, identifying shooting lanes, observing The Beyond. When it comes to hunting, most of your mind is (should be, IMO) set on searching for reasons NOT to fire. And even when prey is in sight, it's still often several minutes of playing the waiting game.

Every bit of almost all of this is just not possible in a self defense scenario. It seems very few here have grown up in a life of violence and I'm sure even fewer have been in the s#$% in combat, but I would assume everyone has had a fight or flight moment. Deer runs out in front of car, car skids on snow, car changes lanes without looking. Never not once has anyone stopped at that moment and said "OK, hands at 3 and 9, come off the accelerator, cover brake, countersteer, check mirror/sides..." it's just not possible. Your adrenals dump a load of epi into your blood, your spine lights up, and your hands and feet just go. Hopefully, that "Go" is guided by hours upon hours of study, practice, and contemplation.

Self defense is no different. Never not once have I ever contemplated a right v left, a bob v weave, or whether my choke technique was "proper". I never draw ensuring backstop, reminding trigger control, or thinking of the 500,000,000 ways NYS is gonna f#$% me if I plunk this dude. You just react and follow your brain.

Never not once have I ever threw a punch at an object and missed. I've no earthly idea what my actual hit rate is on living, moving beings, but I can with no doubt say it's well under 20%; 10% would be more likely (and even still perhaps inflated). And these are my hands that I've used every day for 38 years, against 10sq/ft of flesh standing 2' in front of me.

Start thinking in those terms and it makes complete sense.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
petroglyph
petroglyph
April 2nd, 2019 at 2:29:57 PM permalink
Where I've lived for the last 30 years, there are no permits required to conceal carry and I've done so for longer than that.
But about 10 years ago I quit packing, mostly because of the weight and the hassle. So as usual, I vacillated for a long while about getting a LCP. What finally made me buy one wasn't really dangerous people per se. I walk almost every day, and making many a trip down by the lake I usually walk with a stick,[ snakes, spiders and coyotes] but what happened repeatedly was I kept running into a small herd of wild pigs. Several in the group are over 250 pounds and they are a little aggressive.

I came around a corner and ran right into 8 of them, and all I had was my little stick. I've had to fight a pig before with a stick, and it will surprise you how tough they really are, not to mention 8 of them. I've also had some other issues on the trail and I'm not near the obstacle to my wallet as I used to be.

This is coming from a guy that in the past has prevented 3 of my own muggings because I was packing heat, and mind you, I never had to actually point the gun at the perps, just the fact when they learned I had one, they changed their endeavors. I've also believed in that time, the value of a warning shot, if the situation makes that possible.

So not long ago, I shot a friends new pistol, and afterwards kept my eye out in case I could buy one second hand. These are in really hot demand. Maybe because it holds so many bullets. I found one, and broke it the first day out practicing. Took one day short of 4 months to get a new replacement from the Keltec factory.

Got a new one. This pistol [Keltec PMR 30] has no purpose that I'm aware of other than just wasting money firing at targets. What fun this thing is. It only weighs 1.22 lbs. fully loaded with 30 .22 mag hollow points. If you ever want to just enjoy shooting, for shooting sakes, try one of these. It weighs nothing, next to zero recoil, has 60 rounds with 2 fully loaded mags, or a full box with just 25 in each. Surprisingly accurate and has an impressive blast of fire out the barrel from unspent powder in the barrel from the long rounds.

I believe it has nearly as much knock down energy as a .38 special, fwiw, but with no recoil. Again, fun fun to shoot.

Oh, oh, almost forgot. The magaizines for the PMR 30 are interchangeable with the CMR 30, the rifle version of the exact same gun. The mags are interchangeable between them, that is so cool. About time somebody thought of that.

Next, I hope they make a LCP version in .22 mag.
  • Jump to: