FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 263
  • Posts: 14046
May 18th, 2019 at 4:45:45 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I also would think smart operators hire such guys in part as spotters, and treasure their skills being put to work for the house.

Everyone that Benny Binion hired for his eye in the sky was a former thief, the dice and card cheats were the only ones who knew what to look for.
FCBLComish
FCBLComish
Joined: Apr 11, 2010
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 549
May 18th, 2019 at 6:51:47 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Everyone that Benny Binion hired for his eye in the sky was a former thief, the dice and card cheats were the only ones who knew what to look for.



I contend there is no such thing as a "former" thief
Beware, I work for the dark side.... We have cookies
Nathan
Nathan
Joined: Sep 2, 2016
  • Threads: 65
  • Posts: 3430
May 18th, 2019 at 7:00:32 PM permalink
Quote: FCBLComish

I contend there is no such thing as a "former" thief



Yes there is. I stole candy from a store when I was a kid. I don't do it as an adult.
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 97
  • Posts: 13855
May 18th, 2019 at 7:20:29 PM permalink
Quote: FCBLComish

I contend there is no such thing as a "former" thief



I'm not sure how we turned to thievery. I think there's a very clear line between playing with an advantage and cheating, stealing, or otherwise nefarious casino activity.

But, yeah, I would have to agree about former thieves. Either you have it in you to take something that's not yours, or you don't. The rest is just internal negotiation.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Boz
Boz
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
  • Threads: 153
  • Posts: 5624
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
May 18th, 2019 at 7:24:35 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I'm not sure how we turned to thievery. I think there's a very clear line between playing with an advantage and cheating, stealing, or otherwise nefarious casino activity.

But, yeah, I would have to agree about former thieves. Either you have it in you to take something that's not yours, or you don't. The rest is just internal negotiation.



I went to a Loss Prevention class years ago when they threw about the following stats about hiring.

10% of the people you hire come to steal from you.
10% of people will never steal from you.
80% will justify stealing based on the situation and the opportunities you provide them. These come down to treatment, work conditions, personal situations and others.

Not sure if these numbers are accurate, but I wouldn’t disagree with the justification factor.

Sad but true.

  • Jump to: