blount2000
blount2000
  • Threads: 42
August 15th, 2018 at 8:12:49 PM permalink
I'm trying to decide whether a particular Groupon deal is a good value or not. I believe I may be WAY over-thinking this and am somehow making it more complicated than it really is.

The Groupon is for one of my favorite restaurants in Vegas - Battista's Hole in the Wall. You pay $30 now to get credit for $40 worth of food for a party of two, which they correctly say is a 25% discount.

In the past I have always just clipped & used the Battista's coupon in the back of the free Vegas magazines, which is $10 off of a $50 minimum food purchase (which computes to a 20% discount). The total bill for me & my wife is usually around $65 or so before any coupon/discount.

To me it seems like they are the same and I'd be saving $10 regardless of which way I did it. But my doubts come from trying to figure out why anyone would choose the Groupon deal (where you have to pay now) versus just using the free $10 coupon from the back of the magazines.

The only thing I can think of is if a party of two didn't feel like they would hit the $50 minimum required for the free coupon, but with the prices of most of the entrees being $25+ I wouldn't think that would be a problem.

Anyway, is there something I'm not seeing here and the Groupon is actually a better deal than the free coupon?
You serious, Clark?
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
August 15th, 2018 at 9:42:23 PM permalink
Groupon often has sitewide sales where you get an additional 20-25% off.
I also think a lot of people prefer using an app over a paper coupon, especially the under 40 crowd.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
blount2000
blount2000
August 16th, 2018 at 2:58:07 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Groupon often has sitewide sales where you get an additional 20-25% off.
I also think a lot of people prefer using an app over a paper coupon, especially the under 40 crowd.

Thanks, that makes sense. I wouldn't mind an additional 20-25% discount myself!
You serious, Clark?
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
August 17th, 2018 at 1:52:32 PM permalink
Unless you get an additional discount from a Groupon offer, you save $10 either way, so I would recommend using the coupon for when you truly arrive at the restaurant. Otherwise, you're paying up front for something you only plan to do.

For me, I have some anxiety about buying Groupons and letting them expire, which I've done. They say you can still get full value of what you paid, but it's a hassle.

And, if you want to help the business a little, the coupon is better for them because they pay Groupon a cut of the money. I'm assuming it costs far less to advertise through coupon mailers.
blount2000
blount2000
August 17th, 2018 at 5:25:43 PM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

Unless you get an additional discount from a Groupon offer, you save $10 either way, so I would recommend using the coupon for when you truly arrive at the restaurant. Otherwise, you're paying up front for something you only plan to do.

For me, I have some anxiety about buying Groupons and letting them expire, which I've done. They say you can still get full value of what you paid, but it's a hassle.

And, if you want to help the business a little, the coupon is better for them because they pay Groupon a cut of the money. I'm assuming it costs far less to advertise through coupon mailers.

I hear you on worrying about not using the Groupon and then it expiring. I have that exact scenario now with a restaurant.com certificate that I bought for a place I ended up not going to. I probably need to find out how to exchange/transfer it and then actually use it before it becomes worthless or something.
You serious, Clark?
  • Jump to: