Thread Rating:

JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
October 17th, 2010 at 1:13:55 AM permalink
I may be prejudiced because I'm a Boise State alum. Yes, I'm aware that some will say that's why I'm so full of BS sometimes.

However, isn't it about time the Broncos go to the National Championship game for a change? Sure they have a mostly weak schedule every year, but almost every time they face a powerful and ranked opponent, they beat them. But they are also the epitome of consistent winning and the undefeated season, the masters of the blowout win, and their coach is a college version of Bill Belichick. How many times does it take for them to be passed over in order to get the respect they deserve?

I'm convinced major colleges are afraid to face them, even if it's not on Smurf Field. Let's hope the country finally gets it right this year and we get to see what most college football fans really have wanted for the past 3 years: Boise State in the championship game! And with the best defense they've ever had this time around, we could even see a semi-blowout against teams like Oklahoma, Wisconsin and/or Ohio State.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 15
October 17th, 2010 at 5:19:59 AM permalink
The time for Boise State to play in the BCS Championship game is whenever they are one of the two best teams in the country. Hasn't happened yet, could happen this year. As much as most people hate the BCS, at least it lets teams finish their schedules before deciding who goes to which games
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
October 17th, 2010 at 5:40:46 AM permalink
This very well could be the year for Boise to get a shot (if they can get by my beloved Wolfpack). However, to earn the respect they are seeking, they need to be in a tougher league.

In a one game scenario, they can beat anyone. However, an SEC or BigTen schedule would chew them up physically.

Most projections have them at number 1 when the ranking is released tonight. Strength of schedule will grind them down and out of the top 2. Gotta hope Auburn, Oklahoma, and Oregon, at a minimum, lose a game for them to have any shot at all.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
October 17th, 2010 at 6:47:53 AM permalink
"BUT ALMOST EVERY TIME THEY FACE A POWERFUL AND RANKED OPPONENT< THEY BEAT THEM...
Someone can fact check this... But I remember reading that over the last decade or so they are just slightly above 50% against the 'major' BCS conference teams.
That being said, they seem to have earned a shot this year.... Unless a miracle happens and Missouri runs the table.. (OK- my son is a freshman at Mizzou and I am going to this Saturday's Oklahoma-Mizzou game)
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
October 17th, 2010 at 8:48:27 AM permalink
In order to look at this issue from its clearest aspect, I think we all need to take a lesson from what the great Secretariat did when given the opportunity. He was considered second best from the start, he didn't consistently beat the big boys during his development, but when given the chance and an opportunity to perform on the big stage, what we saw was an awesome explosion that has never been and probably will never be matched again.

It's a little early to be COMPARING Boise to the accomplishments of Big Red yes, but it's the right time to be able to RECOGNIZE GREATNESS when it's sitting right there in front of you. I think Boise State has already proven beyond a doubt how mentally and physically tough they are and have been, especially in last year's debacle of a BCS finish. Their program has proven to be a big winner and you don't get the recruits without it. Them having to be one of the two best teams in the country in order to play in the championship game is correct, only the way we go about selecting those two teams is a travesty. If the "major colleges" have to go through giving one another a loss so BS can rise to the top where it belongs, then all that is is payback for the past several years of ignorance on the part of the BCS for keeping them out of the championship matchup just because they didn't have a big enough name or following.
avargov
avargov
October 17th, 2010 at 7:46:11 PM permalink
Well, I must say I am surprised to see Oklahoma on top. However, I think Boise being 7 in the computer polls is about right.

Alas, another year shall pass without a non-BCS school playing for the crystal. With VaTech losing to JMU, OreSt losing to Wash, and my beloved Wolfpack falling to the Rainbows, I don't see any way Boise or TCU can get to the party.

I would like to see it though because I think Boise could play with anyone, save for maybe Alabama, in a one game series.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
avargov
avargov
October 17th, 2010 at 7:56:45 PM permalink
Quote: JerryLogan

In order to look at this issue from its clearest aspect, I think we all need to take a lesson from what the great Secretariat did when given the opportunity. He was considered second best from the start, he didn't consistently beat the big boys during his development, but when given the chance and an opportunity to perform on the big stage, what we saw was an awesome explosion that has never been and probably will never be matched again.

It's a little early to be COMPARING Boise to the accomplishments of Big Red yes, but it's the right time to be able to RECOGNIZE GREATNESS when it's sitting right there in front of you. I think Boise State has already proven beyond a doubt how mentally and physically tough they are and have been, especially in last year's debacle of a BCS finish. Their program has proven to be a big winner and you don't get the recruits without it. Them having to be one of the two best teams in the country in order to play in the championship game is correct, only the way we go about selecting those two teams is a travesty. If the "major colleges" have to go through giving one another a loss so BS can rise to the top where it belongs, then all that is is payback for the past several years of ignorance on the part of the BCS for keeping them out of the championship matchup just because they didn't have a big enough name or following.

Jerry, there is no way in hell you can compare the raw talent level of Boise to a big.boy school. Boise has nice talent, and has an exceptional coach and system. I mean, c'non, their QB was recruited by 2 division 1 schools.

Put Boise in the SEC West and they are playing 3rd stringers halfway through that gauntlet. They wouldn't hold up physically against superior athletes.

That being said, in one game, they could hold their own....just not week after week. Sorry, Boise just doesn't play big boy competition yet. Let's see how next year goes in the Mountain West.
bluefire
bluefire
  • Threads: 10
October 17th, 2010 at 8:09:37 PM permalink

I may be prejudiced because I'm a Boise State alum. Yes, I'm aware that some will say that's why I'm so full of BS sometimes.

However, isn't it about time the Broncos go to the National Championship game for a change? Sure they have a mostly weak schedule every year, but almost every time they face a powerful and ranked opponent, they beat them. But they are also the epitome of consistent winning and the undefeated season, the masters of the blowout win, and their coach is a college version of Bill Belichick. How many times does it take for them to be passed over in order to get the respect they deserve?

They DO get the respect they deserve. The fact is they haven't beaten anyone this year. Virginia Tech is a mediocre team in a sub-par conference. They also played a close game with Oregon State - the same Oregon State team that just lost to Washington and dropped to 3-3. They don't have any challenges on their remaining schedule.

I'm convinced major colleges are afraid to face them, even if it's not on Smurf Field. Let's hope the country finally gets it right this year and we get to see what most college football fans really have wanted for the past 3 years: Boise State in the championship game! And with the best defense they've ever had this time around, we could even see a semi-blowout against teams like Oklahoma, Wisconsin and/or Ohio State.

This is an over-used, and incorrect, argument.

From Omaha World-Herald:

Quote:

Thereís been some bold talk this week out of the Boise State camp of supporters. Nobody in a big-boy conference will play Boise. You think that you can beat the Broncos? Give them a call. We dare you.

Nebraska called. Nebraska tried.

In the past year, NU tried to put together a series with BSU; two-for-one, home-and-home, one-way trip to Lincoln. Whatever. It ended up fizzling out. Why?
Because, according to NU Assistant Athletic Director Jeff Jamrog, Boise wanted a minimum $1 million to play in Lincoln.

Geez, no wonder the Broncos canít get anyone to play them. Pay Boise State $1 million to come to your town? Sorry, donít want it that bad.

By comparison, Alabama & Penn State get $200,000 to play as visiting teams in their home-and-home.

Georgia Tech is getting $435,000 to play at Alabama.

Make no mistake about it, it's Boise State's choice to not play teams like Nebraska.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
October 17th, 2010 at 8:51:37 PM permalink
Didn't Boise State just beat a team 48-0 at Boise that Wisconsin beat 27-14 in Madison and Alabama beat 48-3 also at home....and Boise's star QB came out several minutes before the 1st half ENDED with the score already at 41-0? And you're saying BS couldn't hang with these schools for an entire season, or that they're not worth a million dollars as a visiting opponent? Have you seen the size and speed of their defensive unit? And a big part of the reason why Oregon State and VT aren't having such stellar seasons is BECAUSE of Boise State.

The only reason schools like Nebraska don't want to pay them is because they don't want to get embarrassed in front of their home fans. Go ahead and ask their big rival Oklahoma what it was like getting beaten by BS in the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago when they were 4 touchdown underdogs. Then ask any of those "big boys schools" what it's like playing 14 games in a season and winning them all. Oh wait!
bluefire
bluefire
  • Threads: 10
October 17th, 2010 at 9:06:41 PM permalink
lol, Oregon State & VT aren't having bad seasons because of Boise State. They're having bad years because they aren't very good football teams. Oregon State lost to Washington, VT lost to JMU. If they had just lost to Boise, they'd still be having pretty damn good years.

And no, Boise State isn't worth $1 million. No team is worth that. Again, to get a school like Alabama or Penn State, it costs $200k. Why in the world would I want to play Boise State for $1 million when I can play similar or better talent for 1/5th the cost?

• Jump to: