beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
smoothgrh
March 14th, 2018 at 8:24:55 AM permalink
Stephen Hawking has passed away at the age of 76.

On Pi day. And the 300th anniversary of the death of Galileo. Perhaps he planned this as well.

Didn't realize it until I saw it in the Miscellaneous Thread. He deserves his own, at least.

What an incredible, unique life. IMO the genius of his generation, if not the century.

He changed my perspective on life with his ferocious fight to remain in it.

He changed my perspective on disability by not allowing his extreme circumstances to confine his thoughts; instead he went further than anyone before him, virtually travelling to the beginning of space and time.

I am awed by his very existence, and I celebrate his brilliance, his wicked sense of humor, and his lasting legacy of humanity's ability to exceed all boundaries.

Godspeed, Stephen Hawking.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
March 14th, 2018 at 8:31:38 AM permalink
Read this late last night and had to do a lookup to make sure it wasn't fake. One of the greats has passed on and will be missed. I just hope people realize what a loss to science this is, and hopefully the new generation of young and eager students are willing to take up the mantle. RIP Stephen Hawking.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Homelessnyc
Homelessnyc
  • Threads: 5
March 14th, 2018 at 8:35:12 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Stephen Hawking has passed away at the age of 76.

On Pi day. And the 300th anniversary of the death of Galileo. Perhaps he planned this as well.

Don't forget the birthday of Einstein
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
March 14th, 2018 at 8:41:55 AM permalink
He took it on beyond zebra: a stunning intellect, most especially given the circumstances he had to overcome.

A decent bio-pic, for those who have not yet seen it: The Theory of Everything .
"What, me worry?"
1MatterToMotion
1MatterToMotion
  • Threads: 0
Thanked by
RogerKintMaxPen
March 14th, 2018 at 9:03:04 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Godspeed, Stephen Hawking.

Another atheist who railed against God?
Never make a bet that you wouldn't take, yourself.
klimate10
klimate10
  • Threads: 35
March 14th, 2018 at 9:54:52 AM permalink
Quote: 1MatterToMotion

Unfortunately, Mr Hawking did not believe in the true God. At this moment, he is being tossed into the Lake of Fire. Khorne will not tolerate nonbelievers.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
March 14th, 2018 at 10:04:14 AM permalink

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/5199149/stephen-hawking-death-god-atheist
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
Thanked by
RogerKint
March 14th, 2018 at 10:50:11 AM permalink
I'll miss his voice.
I am a robot.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
dumbledore
March 14th, 2018 at 10:52:39 AM permalink
As a physicist, I do not think that Stephen Hawking was the most brilliant physicist of our generation (maybe Edward Witten is) or of the last 100 years. He made a single important discovery - what is now called "Hawking radiation" from black holes. (That is one more important discovery than most physicists make, though.) He was in the top 1% of all physicists for sure but he was not Albert Einstein.

It is incredible that he had any kind of career at all, however, much less became a top physicist. He captured the imagination of the world by overcoming incredible medical handicaps to live a highly productive life and achieve greatly at the frontiers of human intelligence. He was, by all accounts, a good and decent man. He had a fine sense of humor and great courage. This is a sad day and he will be greatly missed.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
odiousgambit
March 14th, 2018 at 12:08:59 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

As a physicist, I do not think that Stephen Hawking was the most brilliant physicist of our generation (maybe Edward Witten is) or of the last 100 years. He made a single important discovery - what is now called "Hawking radiation" from black holes. (That is one more important discovery than most physicists make, though.) He was in the top 1% of all physicists for sure but he was not Albert Einstein.

It is incredible that he had any kind of career at all, however, much less became a top physicist. He captured the imagination of the world by overcoming incredible medical handicaps to live a highly productive life and achieve greatly at the frontiers of human intelligence. He was, by all accounts, a good and decent man. He had a fine sense of humor and great courage. This is a sad day and he will be greatly missed.

Not an unfair comment, I guess.
GlenG
GlenG
  • Threads: 11
Thanked by
RogerKint
March 14th, 2018 at 12:17:36 PM permalink
He probably died of frustration(or laughter) while trying to converse with a dice setter. Loljk
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 14th, 2018 at 12:25:11 PM permalink
I think Hawking suffered some from being confused with Hawkins. The latter is all about being an atheist, while Hawking I would say just admitted to it from being pressed on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Dawkins
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
RogerKintRS
March 14th, 2018 at 10:21:53 PM permalink
I have wondered if he was used as a puppet.
Didn't there come a point when he became so damaged, he was unable to communicate, even thru his electric gadget. If not it sure seemed like it.

That point in time was pretty obvious;
When he stopped talking about pure science & theory, and started talking about global warming, peak oil, and how we need a unified world government. And all the rest of that new age progressive pseudo science garbage.

Kind of seemed like his handlers were talking thru him. Also, how do you write a book when you have to twitch one muscle up to forty times to make one character?

Early on things seemed legit and toward the end not so much.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
March 15th, 2018 at 3:54:56 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Didn't there come a point when he became so damaged, he was unable to communicate, even thru his electric gadget. If not it sure seemed like it.

When he stopped talking about pure science & theory, and started talking about global warming, peak oil, and how we need a unified world government. And all the rest of that new age progressive pseudo science garbage.

Kind of seemed like his handlers were talking thru him. Also, how do you write a book when you have to twitch one muscle up to forty times to make one character?

Idk about all the puppet stuff (probably though).

But the computer he had was supposedly very complex. Not necessarily letter-for-letter, but more like word for word. I forget what you call it but the thing on your phone that guesses what the next word is you’re going to type. Predictive text I think they call it.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
March 15th, 2018 at 6:12:55 AM permalink

Doubtful I think. His family would have to be fine with renting his body out just so a third party could make people think their propaganda was genuine.
I am a robot.
MaxPen
MaxPen
March 15th, 2018 at 7:21:08 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Doubtful I think. His family would have to be fine with renting his body out just so a third party could make people think their propaganda was genuine.

What else would they do? Somebody has to keep the bills paid. I am really just theorizing myself. I can see how predictive text would be a big help like RS pointed out. It just seemed that he changed fundamentally when things turned real bad for him.
Romes
Romes
Thanked by
dumbledore
March 15th, 2018 at 7:32:05 AM permalink

What else would they do? Somebody has to keep the bills paid. I am really just theorizing myself. I can see how predictive text would be a big help like RS pointed out. It just seemed that he changed fundamentally when things turned real bad for him.

Please stop insinuating that Stephen Hawking was at all possibly used as a puppet to push propaganda. This is one of the silliest things I've ever read in my entire life, it's disrespectful, and honestly just quite sad to think someone would even think that. He was highly functional with his computer system and a constant joker so it seems with friends and family all the time. Of anything I've ever read or watched about him, it seems it would be directly against his principles to be used to say things that weren't his opinions. Unreal the level of ::tinfoil:: this one is.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
Thanked by
MaxPen
March 15th, 2018 at 9:12:04 AM permalink
Yeah, Maxpen, call the Pres an orange orangutan all you want but I'll be DAMNED if I sit idly by while you even dare to question the high priests of scientism. Gall!!

100% risk of ruin
1MatterToMotion
1MatterToMotion
  • Threads: 0
Thanked by
RogerKint
March 15th, 2018 at 9:20:31 AM permalink
Hawking, himself, spoke of the possibility of his station in life as a posterboy for physics fundraising. Einstein, too, was at the center of a similar circling of wagons, wrt scientific plagiarism, eg.
Never make a bet that you wouldn't take, yourself.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
March 15th, 2018 at 9:41:30 AM permalink

Hawking, himself, spoke of the possibility of his station in life as a posterboy for physics fundraising. Einstein, too, was at the center of a similar circling of wagons, wrt scientific plagiarism, eg.

I don't doubt in the slightest he was a "puppet", but of his own deliberate making and style. I think he loved being relative and trendy in pushing science, critical thinking, and serving as a role model for both the disabled and the scientific community.

In what I've read he had mostly contempt for the faith-based "equality" arguments for teaching non-scientific alternative theories and beliefs alongside scientific knowledge in schools.

Scientific methods support the theory of evolution over creationism. Scientific methods support the existence of global warming, so he lined up against climate change deniers. Etc.
Romes
Romes
March 15th, 2018 at 11:07:13 AM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

Yeah, Maxpen, call the Pres an orange orangutan all you want but I'll be DAMNED if I sit idly by while you even dare to question the high priests of scientism. Gall!!...

The equivalent would be if I said trump was a martian here to gain intelligence on earthlings (and meant it seriously)... a completely baseless claim with no facts, logic, or reason. The fact that trump is orange and evolved from monkeys is actually quite factual and accurate. The baseless claims that Hawking was a puppet is just absurd and pretty much point and case how insane non-factual information (AKA FAKE NEWS) is spread around the internet.

Example of how dumb stuff (FAKE NEWS) gets passed around the internet:

1) I post somewhere (FB, here, whatever) "hey I heard trump likes to ram 12' black 'objects' in his rectum"
2) Other people see this, like it, repost it, etc...
3) People start saying "Yeah I read somewhere that trump likes to ram 12' black 'objects' in his rectum." That's a fact!

Max's post above was step #1 in this baseless accusation. I simply was trying to stop fake news from spreading just from people seeing it with their eyes (which doesn't make it in ANY way, shape, or form true).
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
March 15th, 2018 at 11:27:34 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

Please stop insinuating that Stephen Hawking was at all possibly used as a puppet to push propaganda. This is one of the silliest things I've ever read in my entire life, it's disrespectful, and honestly just quite sad to think someone would even think that. He was highly functional with his computer system and a constant joker so it seems with friends and family all the time. Of anything I've ever read or watched about him, it seems it would be directly against his principles to be used to say things that weren't his opinions. Unreal the level of ::tinfoil:: this one is.

What he did better than anyone else was he explained complex topics like general relativity and quantum mechanics in a way that was actually easy and entertaining for a layperson to read.

I strongly disagreed with Hawking's characterization of Artificial Intelligence, and didn't really didn't take any of his comments on stuff outside of Cosmology seriously. Same with Elon Musk. But then again who the F am I, so take all that with a grain of salt as well =)
MaxPen
MaxPen
Thanked by
RogerKint
March 15th, 2018 at 2:18:22 PM permalink

Max's post above was step #1 in this baseless accusation. I simply was trying to stop fake news from spreading just from people seeing it with their eyes (which doesn't make it in ANY way, shape, or form true).

At least I demonstrate original thought instead of believing mindlessly whatever the flock is being told.
Romes
Romes
March 15th, 2018 at 2:25:19 PM permalink

At least I demonstrate original thought instead of believing mindlessly whatever the flock is being told.

Which can be good, except for two things:

1) When you're thinking "differently" than the FACTS and LOGIC have presented that's not good. Unless you have new testing/facts/results to share.

2) This case. Thinking differently is okay, but take responsibility for your posting. Simply by posting "I feel like this is possible" with no base, no facts, etc, etc, etc you're now inputting that information in to other peoples eyes/brain that they'll inevitably spew out and that's how the propagation of false information spreads like wildfire. The base for the MAJORITY of peoples political beliefs believe it or not is FACEBOOK. Which is both sad and disturbing.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
March 15th, 2018 at 3:14:59 PM permalink

Which can be good, except for two things:

1) When you're thinking "differently" than the FACTS and LOGIC have presented that's not good. Unless you have new testing/facts/results to share.

2) This case. Thinking differently is okay, but take responsibility for your posting. Simply by posting "I feel like this is possible" with no base, no facts, etc, etc, etc you're now inputting that information in to other peoples eyes/brain that they'll inevitably spew out and that's how the propagation of false information spreads like wildfire. The base for the MAJORITY of peoples political beliefs believe it or not is FACEBOOK. Which is both sad and disturbing.

It did happen on Star Trek with the Nazi episode. I personally haven't even kept up of Hawking news beyond seeing him on Tbbt. Haven't paid any attention to him or what he was saying.
I am a robot.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
March 16th, 2018 at 2:01:28 PM permalink
Controversy about a cartoon

https://twitter.com/MitchellToy/status/973774076803248128

Perhaps the corrected image should be the empty wheelchair on this side, and him being put in another wheelchair on the other side.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
March 18th, 2018 at 6:53:55 PM permalink
The co-author to Hawking's final work (which is under review) says he thinks Hawking could have won the Nobel prize for it.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RogerKint
RogerKint
March 18th, 2018 at 7:02:24 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Controversy about a cartoon

https://twitter.com/MitchellToy/status/973774076803248128

Of all the Stephen Hawking memes I've seen, that one's probably the least controversial.

Quote: rxwine

The co-author to Hawking's final work (which is under review) says he thinks Hawking could have won the Nobel prize for it.

Of course he does.
100% risk of ruin
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
March 20th, 2018 at 6:37:56 AM permalink
Today, I saw a comic on this topic that might amuse some. I hope none are offended.

Bloom County

I'm not clever enough to be able to figure out how to link directly to the .jpg or .pic file or whatever in order to get the image to show up right here properly, without copying the image to another hosting site. Perhaps someone else can figure that out.
RogerKint
RogerKint
March 20th, 2018 at 7:06:24 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Today, I saw a comic on this topic that might amuse some. I hope none are offended.

Bloom County

I'm not clever enough to be able to figure out how to link directly to the .jpg or .pic file or whatever in order to get the image to show up right here properly, without copying the image to another hosting site. Perhaps someone else can figure that out.

100% risk of ruin
  • Jump to: