Thread Rating:

Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
November 1st, 2018 at 4:19:36 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

Yes, it is. Children can learn homosexual behavior from their favorite priests or from their Republican senators in the airport bathroom of their choice!

Or as a current favorite shirt says, “I’m not Gay, but $20 is $20”.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
November 1st, 2018 at 5:20:20 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

I have a buddy who has that shirt.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
November 1st, 2018 at 6:19:17 PM permalink

Cmon on now!

Gotta be at least a hundred
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Boz
Boz
November 2nd, 2018 at 8:32:09 AM permalink
Anyone have a guess at what hour on Tuesday night the first CNN anchor or guest calls the good people of Georgia and Florida Racists for not electing 2 unqualified minority’s for Governor if it turns out that way?
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
tringlomane
November 2nd, 2018 at 8:38:47 AM permalink

Anyone have a guess at what hour on Tuesday night the first CNN anchor or guest calls the good people of Georgia and Florida Racists for not electing 2 unqualified minority’s for Governor if it turns out that way?

I don't see that happening, either way.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
November 2nd, 2018 at 8:44:20 AM permalink

???????????????
Lets bet a hundred
The anchors at CNN will not call the the voters in Florida and Georgia racists Tuesday night
Bet? :-)
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Boz
Boz
November 2nd, 2018 at 8:58:12 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

???????????????
Lets bet a hundred
The anchors at CNN will not call the the voters in Florida and Georgia racists Tuesday night
Bet? :-)

Too hard to determine the exact wording that would make it a bet, but I believe someone will say "There is a racial element" to these results or something along those lines. Calling them outright racists overall, probably not. They can't avoid it.

Better wager may be if these 2 elections are even determined by the end of the night. I can see both being so close the losing side wants a recount.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
November 2nd, 2018 at 10:27:24 AM permalink

Too hard to determine the exact wording that would make it a bet, but I believe someone will say "There is a racial element" to these results or something along those lines. Calling them outright racists overall, probably not. They can't avoid it.

Better wager may be if these 2 elections are even determined by the end of the night. I can see both being so close the losing side wants a recount.

It will be remarkable if Georgia DOES get decided Tuesday night. They have a 50%+1 law, and 3 candidates. They're expecting a runoff, given how close it is, no matter who's ahead.

Florida will be decided Tuesday night. It will be Gillum. Senate is closer, but I think Nelson will retain his seat.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
November 2nd, 2018 at 10:32:02 AM permalink
I wonder how many trump followers are afraid to leave their house to vote. What with the country being invaded.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Steverinos
Steverinos
  • Threads: 5
November 2nd, 2018 at 10:48:10 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

It will be remarkable if Georgia DOES get decided Tuesday night. They have a 50%+1 law, and 3 candidates. They're expecting a runoff, given how close it is, no matter who's ahead.

Florida will be decided Tuesday night. It will be Gillum. Senate is closer, but I think Nelson will retain his seat.

I watched Trevor Noah's full interview with Gillum the other night. I don't know much else about him but I came away wanting to know more. I was impressed.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
November 2nd, 2018 at 10:55:43 AM permalink

TBetter wager may be if these 2 elections are even determined by the end of the night. I can see both being so close the losing side wants a recount.

I was listening to a radio program this morning that said Pinellas County (Florida) because of its demographics was a bellwether area. Republican registrations are up several hundred compared to previous midterms. However, Democratic registrations there are up several thousand.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
November 2nd, 2018 at 11:02:23 AM permalink
Quote: Steverinos

I watched Trevor Noah's full interview with Gillum the other night. I don't know much else about him but I came away wanting to know more. I was impressed.

You want to see some jaw-dropping mudslinging and ugly debate, look up Gillum/DeSantis debate 2. I'll see if I can post a link. Both are worth a watch, if you want to see what a Trumper losing his sh!t in public looks like.

Edit: Try this video link. They also have the link to the first debate just below the video box for this one.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/10/24/florida_candidates_for_governor_andrew_gillum_and_ron_desantis_face_off_in_second_debate.html
terapined
terapined
November 2nd, 2018 at 11:04:40 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I was listening to a radio program this morning that said Pinellas County (Florida) because of its demographics was a bellwether area. Republican registrations are up several hundred compared to previous midterms. However, Democratic registrations there are up several thousand.

Pinellas county is next door to me
I live in Hillsborough County
I don't view Pinellas County as a demographic bellwether
The county's nickname is "god's waiting room" with all the old retirees (the g is lower case, I'm an atheist)
Its part of the I4 corridor, St Pete, Tampa and Orlando
General overview of Florida
I4 corridor and Miami lean left, rest of Florida leans right
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
November 2nd, 2018 at 11:14:28 AM permalink

The county's nickname is "god's waiting room" with all the old retirees (the g is lower case, I'm an atheist)

It's because of the make-up of the voter base. I forget the exact number, like 10% minority is all I remember. It used to be Miami area. Doesn't matter what it's named I don't think, just the representative make up.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
ams288
ams288
November 2nd, 2018 at 11:33:13 AM permalink

The Georgia results will be (correctly) blamed on blatant voter suppression.
Boz
Boz
Thanked by
SOOPOO
November 2nd, 2018 at 11:45:17 AM permalink

Bill Cosby & OJ could run as a ticket and you would vote for them over a Republican. Saying you were impressed isn't exactly a shock. He checks most of your boxes for punishing success, raising business taxes, believing most people can't make it without Government help, loves Bernie. What did I miss?
ams288
ams288
Thanked by
tringlomane
November 2nd, 2018 at 11:48:44 AM permalink

Bill Cosby & OJ could run as a ticket and you would vote for them over a Republican. Saying you were impressed isn't exactly a shock. He checks most of your boxes for punishing success, raising business taxes, believing most people can't make it without Government help, loves Bernie. What did I miss?

The way he clearly triggers you makes me like him even more.

Go Gillum go!
Boz
Boz
November 2nd, 2018 at 11:52:23 AM permalink

Looks like I will changing my retirement state if that happens. Florida has so much going for it, I hate to see it become NY or California.

I guess America is running out of places to live for old white *"racists" like me.

*racist in that I still believe America is the land of Opportunity for anyone who wants it unless you are mentally and physically handicapped. Otherwise you get your ass out of bed, work 2 jobs if needed to get what you want. And if you don't have what you want, look in the mirror at the person responsible for it. And smoke another cigarette. And blame Trump.
Boz
Boz
November 2nd, 2018 at 11:54:50 AM permalink

The Georgia results will be (correctly) blamed on blatant voter suppression.

You mean the people too stupid to pay attention to world around them.

How do they even make it through the day?
Boz
Boz
November 2nd, 2018 at 12:04:09 PM permalink

In all seriousness, hopefully everything is OK. Phone blowing up with Weather alerts for the area. Be safe everyone.
Steverinos
Steverinos
November 2nd, 2018 at 12:12:03 PM permalink

A lot of assumptions there, but that's fine. I don't think he checked any of those boxes in that interview which was really the only exposure I've had to him. I said I wanted to know more, and I will.

There are a handful of prominent Republicans I could see myself voting for in the future. They have ideas and are not beholden to loyalty to an individual, which is what the GOP, as a whole, represents today. Reagan would be part of the "mob" in 2018.
Steverinos
Steverinos
November 2nd, 2018 at 12:20:47 PM permalink

*racist in that I still believe America is the land of Opportunity for anyone who wants it unless you are mentally and physically handicapped.

I don't think racist means what you think it means.

Guys like Robert Bowers is a racist. See, he was duped into thinking that a Jewish man named George Soros was funding the migrant caravan and he decided to take action by killing 11 people. Who's fueling this conspiracy? The right? Our President?

And you have the gall to say that people are "too stupid to pay attention to the world around them".

Get real.
Fleaswatter
Fleaswatter
  • Threads: 10
November 2nd, 2018 at 12:24:43 PM permalink
For those posters here, who are voting in Florida and if you do not mind sharing this information, I have a question for you.

Are you going to vote for Andrew Gillum for governor?
new motto for the left: “I don't know if I received bad information, but I think I suspected there was more than there actually was,” (John Brennan Mar 25, 2019)
Boz
Boz
November 2nd, 2018 at 12:35:42 PM permalink

I don't think racist means what you think it means.

Guys like Robert Bowers is a racist. See, he was duped into thinking that a Jewish man named George Soros was funding the migrant caravan and he decided to take action by killing 11 people. Who's fueling this conspiracy? The right? Our President?

And you have the gall to say that people are "too stupid to pay attention to the world around them".

Get real.

The most Jewish friendly President of my lifetime.

https://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Should-Jews-owe-gratitude-to-Trump-567466

And yes, anyone who hates Jews, or any group just for being that group is the lowest of the low.

I'm as real as it gets. But if you blame Trump for the shooting, you are probably too far gone to have a discussion, civil or otherwise with. You probably don't actually believe it but it fits the agenda against him.

Still can't figure out why you hate him so much. Obviously he has done nothing but improve your life in the past 2 years, even if you believe he is riding Obama's coattails. I don't think you are here illegally, haven't had your taxes raised and you don't appear as someone who thinks others can't do what you have done in life.

So I'm lost why you are filled with so much hate toward Trump.

Hate has no Home Here*

*Unless you support or are Donald Trump. Then die and rot in hell. Seems to be the message behind the signs.
terapined
terapined
Thanked by
Boz
November 2nd, 2018 at 1:11:34 PM permalink

In all seriousness, hopefully everything is OK. Phone blowing up with Weather alerts for the area. Be safe everyone.

Intense micro storm for 5 min.
Power went out. Still out.
Work from home so got off work early.
Everything ok, hanging out in my open garage for light. Plenty of recgargeable batteries because I camp a lot. Cell service fine. If I get bored with internet, can switch to my nintendo switch :-)
terapined
terapined
November 2nd, 2018 at 1:16:20 PM permalink
Quote: Fleaswatter

For those posters here, who are voting in Florida and if you do not mind sharing this information, I have a question for you.

Are you going to vote for Andrew Gillum for governor?

Yes
Its a done deal for me
Voted due to 1 issue
Red tide. Republicans gutted local EPA
Red tide ruining the beach economy down here

Regardless of who wins, my life will remain the comfortable same
terapined
terapined
November 2nd, 2018 at 1:31:42 PM permalink

I still believe America is the land of Opportunity for anyone who wants it unless you are mentally and physically handicapped. Otherwise you get your ass out of bed, work 2 jobs if needed to get what you want. And if you don't have what you want, look in the mirror at the person responsible for it

I lean left and have believed that my entire life.
All my friends on the left bust their ass on the job.
Back when I was making peanuts, worked 2 jobs so I could see lots of Grateful Dead shows
I have never ever been on unemploymemt.
I have compassion for people not as well off as me.
If that means higher taxes and a slightly lower standard of living, so be it
billryan
billryan 
November 2nd, 2018 at 2:08:42 PM permalink
Was just watching the lowlites of the press conference two GOP operatives held yesterday , accusing Mueller of a particularly nasty rape a couple of years ago.
Someone ,somehow, managed to place an inflatable rat dressed as the Donald right outside the window of the room.
Two clowns then spent several minutes correcting each other on how to spell their clients first name( Carole, Carol, or a third choice). The older guy felt the need to point out that the younger guy was a protégé, a virtual genius the world hasn't seen since the likes of Mozart.
When it was pointed out that Mueller was on jury duty in Washington DC at the time they were placing him in a Manhattan bar, the younger guy scoffed saying it was possible he could be in both places at the same time.
The last question of the press conference pretty much summed it all up. They asked if the two Gopers were prepared for Federal prison.
No one had the decency to inform the older guy his fly was wide open the entire charade.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
November 2nd, 2018 at 2:15:07 PM permalink

Looks like I will changing my retirement state if that happens. Florida has so much going for it, I hate to see it become NY or California.

I guess America is running out of places to live for old white *"racists" like me.

*racist in that I still believe America is the land of Opportunity for anyone who wants it unless you are mentally and physically handicapped. Otherwise you get your ass out of bed, work 2 jobs if needed to get what you want. And if you don't have what you want, look in the mirror at the person responsible for it. And smoke another cigarette. And blame Trump.

Boz.

It's entirely possible to agree with you from "America is the Land of Opportunity" to "look in the mirror", and still vote for Democrats.

Demographically, it's probably a larger percentage of Democrats who have worked the 2 jobs and pulled themselves up. They treasure the Promise of America just as much as you do. The biggest difference seems to be that they (and we) think there's room for both your best and our best contributing to that Promise.

But somehow, a lot of the folks aligned with you think it's only America for a small minority of citizens, and the rest of us should just shut up/leave/stay barefoot and pregnant. So, yeah, you're hearing about it. The only surprise is it's taken this long for people to get really, really angry.
billryan
billryan 
November 2nd, 2018 at 2:20:25 PM permalink
Don't get mad, get even.
Steverinos
Steverinos
Thanked by
gamerfreakOnceDearterapinedams288
November 2nd, 2018 at 2:21:25 PM permalink

Still can't figure out why you hate him so much. Obviously he has done nothing but improve your life in the past 2 years, even if you believe he is riding Obama's coattails. I don't think you are here illegally, haven't had your taxes raised and you don't appear as someone who thinks others can't do what you have done in life.

Improve my life?

It's funny. When Obama was erasing 1.2 trillion deficits, overseeing a bull stock market, decreasing unemployment, expanding health care to millions that didn't already have it, bringing troops home, etc., we were told by conservatives that things were improving DESPITE Obama. Now, under Trump, you want us to credit him for the stock market and the extra $100 bux a month in our paychecks? What the hell happened to the belief in personal responsibility? If my life has improved between January 20, 2017 and now, it's because I TOOK STEPS TO IMPROVE IT! Don't I sound like a good little conservative?

The biggest group of hypocrites this country has ever seen is the baby boomer conservative.

So I'm lost why you are filled with so much hate toward Trump.

You're lost?

He uses inflammatory language on a daily basis. He lies on a daily basis. He has spread violent rhetoric in the past. He is tearing this country apart. It's impossible for him to unite us. It's not in him. Sure he'll read prepared remarks by somebody else from the teleprompter only to then turn around and say something inflammatory the next hour. If he was just NORMAL...I could warm up. But he's not. He is a terrible human being and ALWAYS has been.

Blame Trump for the shooting? I MOST DEFINITELY blame trump for his contributions to the rhetoric we've seen over the past two years. He has played his role. I hold him directly responsible for the things he is responsible for, his language. This guy seriously thought that Soros was funding the caravan. Who is spreading that message? The media, the so called, "enemy of the people"? The most powerful man in the world word's matter and when dangerous conspiracies have volume because the President refuses to disavow them and say things like "many people" are saying it, it could and did have fatal consequences last weekend.

What about this ad that Trump shared the other day on his twitter account that went to over 50 million people? The ad said that "democrats let him in" and that "democrats let him stay" when talking about the guy killing cops. Forget that both of those statements are bulls**t, but doesn't it sound a lot like what you guys are complaining about now? Not holding somebody DIRECTLY responsible for what THEY did? The ad clearly tried to link this cop killing scumbag to the democrats. When looking at this story, it appears that he entered and re-entered the country under administrations from BOTH parties. And in fact, Sheriff Arpaio's released him in 1998! Forget that the Senate PASSED BIPARTISAN immigration reform with the Gang of Eight bill and that was blocked by...wait for it, wait for it, the REPUBLICANS in the House. Another lie from this President! Rinse/repeat.

It's this simple Bozman. If Donald Trump was just a regular decent human being that took his role as President for ALL of us seriously, I'd probably be pleased with how things are going. But he isn't. He is tearing this country apart.
billryan
billryan 
November 2nd, 2018 at 2:29:26 PM permalink
We look at Trump and see those things. His followers see that and say Finally, a guy with the balls to say all the stuff I wish I could.
billryan
billryan 
November 2nd, 2018 at 2:32:47 PM permalink
May those who love us, love us.
And for those who don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if he can not turn their hearts,
May he turn their ankles,
So we may know them by their limping.

Donald Trump is Gods version of a sprained ankle.
Pay attention to who is limping.
Boz
Boz
November 2nd, 2018 at 5:32:58 PM permalink
Simple question Stevo, who do you blame for the Congressional shooting at Baseball practice.
ams288
ams288
November 2nd, 2018 at 5:38:45 PM permalink
This should surprise absolutely nobody (and trigger the righties who always try to pretend Donald isn’t a racist):

Michael Cohen Says Trump Repeatedly Used Racist Language Before His Presidency
Boz
Boz
November 2nd, 2018 at 5:45:32 PM permalink

Boz.

It's entirely possible to agree with you from "America is the Land of Opportunity" to "look in the mirror", and still vote for Democrats.

Demographically, it's probably a larger percentage of Democrats who have worked the 2 jobs and pulled themselves up. They treasure the Promise of America just as much as you do. The biggest difference seems to be that they (and we) think there's room for both your best and our best contributing to that Promise.

But somehow, a lot of the folks aligned with you think it's only America for a small minority of citizens, and the rest of us should just shut up/leave/stay barefoot and pregnant. So, yeah, you're hearing about it. The only surprise is it's taken this long for people to get really, really angry.

You say angry, I say unhinged. On both sides.

Perhaps the people we see protesting Trump are not indicative of the typical liberal. Perhaps the pink hat wearing, Kavanaugh crying women are an embarrassment to you, like White Supremacy jackasses are to conservatives. But it’s their right as an American to look like a idiot to the majority of sensible people.

Trump has made me and so many other Americans prouder of our country than ever. And while absolutely nothing will get done in the next 2 years if the Dems win the House, it only means we all win. Less government intervention allows anyone who wants to succeed do just that, just as you said most want to.

And you using “citizens”, that’s an entire different rant. Not sure if that’s even a word to many on the left.

And one more, the last thing most of us want is more liberals barefoot and pregnant. They just will expect free 👠 and either abortions or financial support for their life choices.
Boz
Boz
November 2nd, 2018 at 5:54:10 PM permalink

This should surprise absolutely nobody (and trigger the righties who always try to pretend Donald isn’t a racist):

Michael Cohen Says Trump Repeatedly Used Racist Language Before His Presidency

Words from a bitter man that has a reason to make stuff up.

Not saying it is or isn’t true, but at this point I think most Trump supporters realize its possible. Obviously the Access Hollywood tape didn’t take him out, I don’t think the things Cohen is claiming are going to change anyone’s mind on either side.

I actually expected worse when I clicked on the story.
Boz
Boz
terapined
terapined
Thanked by
tringlomane
November 2nd, 2018 at 6:49:23 PM permalink

Trump has made me and so many other Americans prouder of our country than ever.

I've always been proud of this country.
Being proud of this country is not a feeling exclusive just to the right.
Those on the right are proud and want to move the country right
Those on the left are proud and want to move the country left

And while absolutely nothing will get done in the next 2 years if the Dems win the House, it only means we all win. Less government intervention allows anyone who wants to succeed do just that, just as you said most want to.

Well gee, looks like Washington has their work cut out for them if they need to stuff done
Yea Trump's job is harder but that comes with the territory.

And one more, the last thing most of us want is more liberals barefoot and pregnant. They just will expect free 👠 and either abortions or financial support for their life choices.

I believe in hard work.
I don't think anybody should get a free ride
I was a republican. I voted for Bob Dole. No Way that sexual pervert Bill Clinton was getting my vote
I believed in a balanced budget, people supporting themselves and freedom
What changed
Republicans changed, they got god so they went against freedom and no longer balanced the budget
I believe in freedom of marriage
Freedom of Womens choice
Freedom to smoke MJ
Tax religion. NOBODY should get a free ride. Why are conservatives giving religion a free ride?
I believe in the Church of Jerry Garcia, I demand a free ride :-)
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
November 2nd, 2018 at 7:24:27 PM permalink

It's funny. When Obama was erasing 1.2 trillion deficits, o

Was that before or after adding $10 trillion to the debt?

"The first thing you notice when looking at the federal deficits from fiscal 2007 (the U.S. government fiscal year ends in September) is that it increased by almost $1 trillion from fiscal 2008 (two months before Obama was elected and four months before he was sworn in) to fiscal 2009. It remained over $1 trillion per year for four years and got below Bush’s last years deficit in fiscal 2015. It continued to decrease until Obama’s last year and has increased in Trump’s first year in office.

Fiscal 2007: $161 billion (next to last year of Bush’s second term)
Fiscal 2008: $459 billion (beginning impact from the Great Recession)
Fiscal 2009: $1.4 trillion (Obama’s first year and in the teeth of the Recession)
Fiscal 2010: $1.3 trillion
Fiscal 2011: $1.3 trillion
Fiscal 2012: $1.1 trillion
Fiscal 2013: $680 billion
Fiscal 2014: $485 billion
Fiscal 2015: $438 billion
Fiscal 2016: $587 billion."
--forbes
terapined
terapined
November 2nd, 2018 at 8:14:38 PM permalink
1978 $59 First Carter budget.
1979 $41 Volcker raised rates to 20%.
1980 $74 recession. Iran oil embargo.
1981 $79 Reagan tax cut.
1982 128 Reagan's 1st budget.
1983 $208 Jobless rate 10.8%.
1984 $185 Increased defense spending.
1985 $212
1986 $221 Tax cut.
1987 $150 Market crash
1988 $155 Fed raised rates.
1989 $153 S&L Crisis.
1990 $221 Desert Storm.
1991 $269 Recession.
1992 $290
1993 $255 Clinton signed Balanced Budget Act.
1994 $203 First Clinton budget.
1995 $164
1996 $107 Welfare reform.
1997 $22
1998 ($69) LTCM crisis.
1999 ($126) Glass-Steagall repealed.
2000 ($236) Surplus.
2001 ($128)9/11 attacks. EGTRRA.
2002 $158 War on Terror.
2003 $378 JGTRRA.
2004 $413
2005 $318 Katrina. Bankruptcy Act.
2006 $248 Bernanke chairs Fed.
2007 $161 Iraq War cost.
2008 $459 Bank bailout. QE.
2009 $1,413 Stimulus Act.
2010 $1,294 Obama tax cuts. ACA. Simpson-Bowles.
2011 $1,300 Debt crisis.
2012 $1,087 Fiscal cliff.
2013 $679 Sequester. Government shutdown.
2014 $485 Debt ceiling.
2015 $438 Defense = $736.4 b.
2016 $585 Defense = $767.3 b.
2017 $665 Defense = $812.3 b.
2018 (est) $833 Defense = $824.7 b.
2019 (est) $984
2020 (est) $987
2021 (est) $916

A more complete picture
WTF, The deficit is exploding under Trump
terapined
terapined
November 3rd, 2018 at 8:24:06 AM permalink

The most Jewish friendly President of my lifetime.
https://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Should-Jews-owe-gratitude-to-Trump-567466
And yes, anyone who hates Jews, or any group just for being that group is the lowest of the low.

I find this subject interesting because I am an atheist
What is a Jew?
Did the gunman enter a synagogue and kill Jews
Fascinating that the govt Israel actually disputes that this incident took place in a synagogue
WTF
According to the govt of Israel, this was not a synagogue.
WTF. Israel’s Ashkenazi chief rabbi will not call the Tree of Life a synagogue because its not orthodox
That really fascinates me because if somebody tells me they are a Jew. That's good enough for me
I am ok with somebody being a Jew
But
The Israel govt does not consider most American Jews to be Jews because they cant pass the orthodox test
WTF

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/29/world/middleeast/pittsburgh-killings-jewish-rifts.html
billryan
billryan 
November 3rd, 2018 at 9:42:10 AM permalink

I find this subject interesting because I am an atheist
What is a Jew?
Did the gunman enter a synagogue and kill Jews
Fascinating that the govt Israel actually disputes that this incident took place in a synagogue
WTF
WTF. Israel’s Ashkenazi chief rabbi will not call the Tree of Life a synagogue because its not orthodox
That really fascinates me because if somebody tells me they are a Jew. That's good enough for me
I am ok with somebody being a Jew
But
The Israel govt does not consider most American Jews to be Jews because they cant pass the orthodox test
WTF

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/29/world/middleeast/pittsburgh-killings-jewish-rifts.html

If someone tells you they are a Doctor, that's okay with you, but the AM A wants more than someone's word.
I believe you are confusing the Ashkenazi Rabbis view with that of the Government. Most of my Jewish friends are Sephardic, not Ashkenazi. There is a third term, although the more common term is simply saying they are Persian. Ashkenazi Jews look at the other sects as country bumpkinswho are faux Jews.. I don't believe the Israeli government shares that view.

It's like a Luthern bishop saying Catholics are a cult. It's meaningless.
By the way, many Israelis don't think Ivanka and her kids are really Jewish. Something to do with the Rabbi who oversaw their conversion.
The very few totally Orthodox Jews I know are lukewarm about Israel. They support a Jewish nation, just not Israel.
Boz
Boz
November 3rd, 2018 at 10:51:53 AM permalink
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5bdc8bc1e4b09d43e31ec713

So it’s ok to use race if you are Black, but not the other way around.

Imagine the grief someone would get if they showed their “whiteness”, whatever that is.

May the good people of Florida vote with their heads and their pocketbooks and Keep Florida Great.

A few free tickets and trips and Gillum will go away quietly.
ams288
ams288
November 3rd, 2018 at 11:06:38 AM permalink

Imagine the grief someone would get if they showed their “whiteness”, whatever that is.

...........have you never seen Donald Trump?
Boz
Boz
November 3rd, 2018 at 11:09:15 AM permalink

...........have you never seen Donald Trump?

Sorry I don’t notice people’s race. Much better to judge them by their actions.
terapined
terapined
November 3rd, 2018 at 12:03:12 PM permalink

So it’s ok to use race if you are Black, but not the other way around.

May the good people of Florida vote with their heads and their pocketbooks and Keep Florida Great.

A few free tickets and trips and Gillum will go away quietly.

Sure its all ok
1/2 my family are proud to be Irish.
That branch of my family came over due to the potato famine
My grandmother told me the stories how the Irish were bitterly hated
Many in the country against Irish immigration. Hard to get a job because many would not hire an Irish immigrant.
"No Irish need apply" was a common sign.
We've come a long way.
People can celebrate their Irish ancestry such as St Patrick's day and its all good
Where does your immigrant family come from? Did they have to overcome immigration hate? Aren't you proud of them. I'm proud of my Irish ancestry.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
November 3rd, 2018 at 12:08:58 PM permalink

WTF

A prominent rabbi and the Israel government are not one and the same. To insinuate so is a perverse distortion.
terapined
terapined
November 3rd, 2018 at 12:42:18 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

A prominent rabbi and the Israel government are not one and the same. To insinuate so is a perverse distortion.

I am sorry and I am wrong (I can man up)
but
The govt in Israel is increasingly coming under the control of the orthodox branch of the religion
They don't have separation of religion and state like we do.
From Wiki

"The Chief Rabbinate of Israel (Hebrew: äøáðåú äøàùéú ìéùøàì‬, Ha-Rabanut Ha-Rashit Li-Yisra'el) is recognized by law[1] as the supreme rabbinic and spiritual authority for Judaism in Israel. The Chief Rabbinate Council assists the two chief rabbis, who alternate in its presidency. It has legal and administrative authority to organize religious arrangements for Israel's Jews. It also responds to halakhic questions submitted by Jewish public bodies in the Diaspora. The Council sets, guides and supervises agencies within its authority. "

I found the NYT article fascinating regarding the rift between Jews in Israel and Jews in the USA
Overall Jews in USA anti Trump where in Israel pro Trump
What's your take?
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
November 3rd, 2018 at 2:48:58 PM permalink
Fun fact: When Ted Cruz's dad had his student visa run out and he didn't want to go back to Cuba, he applied for asylum, which let him stay in the US.
  • Jump to: