Thread Rating:

FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 215
August 18th, 2017 at 5:23:58 PM permalink
White women from Scandinavia and their white children were sold as slaves. Slave traders would bring the women to the USA with promises of farmland then administratively declare them to be quadroons and earn money by selling them.

The primary expense in the post war Georgia state budget was the purchase of canes and crutches for the wounded. Was this to honor them? Or simply provide for them?

There were battles in the American civil war that were preceeded with newspaper reading and exchanges of coffee and tea, then there would be cries of "Hunt your cover, we are going to start the battle". Then men who had just shared coffee rations would try to kill each other.

Honor? When some Southerners drew themselves up into ranks and marched off the field of battlle, fire from the Federals ceased as they had great respect for those who shouldered their muskets and marched off rather than threw the muskets to the ground and ran away. Is such respect limited to the time of hostilities?
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 74
August 18th, 2017 at 5:26:25 PM permalink
Jamil Smith

@JamilSmith
All these folks worried about erasing history when the Confederate statues come down will be thrilled to learn about the existence of books.
4:53 PM - Aug 16, 2017 · California, USA
4,021 Replies
76,130 Retweets
225,239 likes
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
billryan
billryan
August 18th, 2017 at 5:28:08 PM permalink
"White women from Scandinavia and their white children were sold as slaves. Slave traders would bring the women to the USA with promises of farmland then administratively declare them to be quadroons and earn money by selling them."

While that may have happened, I doubt it was a thriving business. The US outlawed the import of slaves long before the Civil War.

To be sure, some slaves were smuggled into the United States after 1820 from both Africa and other places in the Western Hemisphere. But the risks were high and the numbers were relatively few. In an eight-year period, from 1800 until December 31, 1807, about 100,000 Africans were forcibly brought into the country. After 1820 it is unlikely that more than 10,000 were successfully landed in the United States. It may have been far fewer than that. As the internal slave trade replaced the African trade, hundreds of thousands of African-American slaves were uprooted and moved further south and further west. The cost of ending that trade would be much higher than ending the African trade. But the moral issue was set in 1819 and 1820 when the United States finally stated, in unequivocal terms, that enslaving people was a "wrong" and those who engaged in the African trade were no better than common pirates. And, like common pirates, they deserved to be hanged.
Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law and Public Policy
Albany Law School

By the way, the 1860 Census records indicate 32% of White Families owned slaves, so I think it would be reasonable to assume that around that same percentage of Confederate Soldiers owned slaves. Many who didn't own slaves worked in the slave trade business or as overseers on plantations.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 151
August 18th, 2017 at 6:09:21 PM permalink
We still have slavery in the US today. Illegal, and no one celebrates it, except traffickers making money. Not limited to race either.

But that should be its proper status.
prisoner of gravity
billryan
billryan
August 18th, 2017 at 6:09:38 PM permalink
Six Flags is replacing all its flags with American Flags. The previous flags, which represented the various different flags that have flown over Texas will all be replaced by The Stars and Stripes.

Looks like the winds of change are rising.....
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 134
August 18th, 2017 at 6:25:55 PM permalink
I looked, I ignored and moved on.
Looks like sh!t just got imaginary!
Calder
Calder
  • Threads: 5
August 18th, 2017 at 11:14:42 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

By the way, the 1860 Census records indicate 32% of White Families owned slaves,

You mean 32% of southern families, I assume?
Calder
Calder
  • Threads: 5
August 18th, 2017 at 11:32:10 PM permalink
When I glanced at the census data, I didn't see any indication of who owned whom & how many, just raw head counts by race and status. That number strikes me as high.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 14
August 18th, 2017 at 11:32:14 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

I am a northerner who has lived in the south for over 30 years in a region (East Tennessee) that tended to side with the north (Union) during the Civil War. I have never had a shred of sympathy for slavery. This is what I observe:

- most of the confederate soldiers (>90%) never owned a slave -they were too poor to own anything and too uneducated to have a strong opinion about the institution of slavery. They joined the confederate army to defend their homes, their families and all they knew and loved from invasion from the north. They experienced years of incredible hardship in the war and many of them died.

- you may think the Vietnam War was an illegal and immoral act of aggression by America -but should we tear down the Vietnam Memorial in Washington DC?

- confederate monuments in the South were originally established to honor fathers, brothers and sons who died in the Civil War. The people of the South suffered grievously during and after the War (and the South was impoverished for almost 100 years in the aftermath of the Civil War) but they still found the resources to honor their dead and build the memorials.

- today, Southerners view the monuments as honoring their ancestors who died in the Civil War, and as honoring the historical people who originally settled and lived in the areas that we live in today. They are about regional pride and honoring our heritage.

- the entanglement of these monuments with slavery seems wrong to me. And the demonization of people that you disagree with as racists is worse than irresponsible - it is hate mongering, it is evil. Have some human decency.

I thought of the Vietnam/Iraq war thing as well.

A monument to the dead soldiers of the Confederacy should clearly stay in place, imo.

A monument to the architects of our unjust wars would be a terrible idea, and if someone put one up, I'd probably favor taking it back down.

W. was the president, so Obviously he's gonna have stuff dedicated to him and what have you. But a monument to him specifically for that war... nope. Same with the Vietnam presidents.

I think some Southerners see things as you describe. But, if their perspective is respected, then the perspective of blacks should also be considered. And that kind of brings that back to the quote Bill posted, about the cornerstone of the confederacy being the inferiority of the Negro race. It stirkes me as pretty reasonable to not want statues to that movement on public land. So which interpretation carries more weight?

I agree it is not only wrong, but counterproductive to smear all who favor the monuments as Nazis.

That's just how our politics is going. In my memory, it started when anybody who didn't believe that Saddam was making invisible ICBMs in the backs of semi-trucks that nobody could find was declared an anti-American who hated the troops and loved terrorists.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 10
August 19th, 2017 at 12:04:36 AM permalink
The Civil War was about taxes not slavery. Lincoln made that very clear in his addresses to Congress. I am finding it amazing to see so many, so called educated people, making fools of themselves lately. People need to unite against the instigators behind all this antagonism. Education has been replaced by indoctrination.

The US is the last country standing in the way of the NWO. For how long depends on people realizing that they are being played against each other and manipulated by distortion of facts. You have a choice to not be used as cannon fodder.

• Jump to: