blount2000
blount2000
Joined: Oct 15, 2010
  • Threads: 41
  • Posts: 310
April 9th, 2017 at 5:07:52 AM permalink
Kinda seems like there was a period of time several years ago when there was an abundance of shows about Vegas on television. I felt that the Travel Channel had some of the best, and I always looked forward to the times when they would play the various episodes back to back. Sometimes for a whole week!

And of course there was Cheating Vegas, Breaking Vegas, etc. And donít get me started on the NBC series Las Vegas about the Montecito that had actor James Caan as one of the main characters.


A couple of more ďobscureĒ Vegas shows I enjoyed at the time were:


Man vs Vegas, which was about a young guy who had lost a bunch of money in Vegas and was trying to win it back. He would place big bets for other folks at the tables to share the wealth.


The Club, which was about a huge off-strip nightclub in Vegas (called ICE) trying to get established.



I can still find some of the various episodes YouTube (which I will go back and watch occasionally), but there just doesnít seem to be anywhere near as much regular television programming about Vegas these days as there was in the past. Or if there is, then Iím just not finding it in my market.



Any Vegas TV shows from the past that you miss?
You serious, Clark?
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
  • Threads: 70
  • Posts: 3105
April 9th, 2017 at 9:33:14 AM permalink
Quote: blount2000

Any Vegas TV shows from the past that you miss?


Does Dealer's Choice count? IIRC, the first season was taped at the Tropicana, so technically it's a "Vegas TV show." (The second season was semi-sponsored by The Mint, but taped at the Burbank Studios in California.)

Ever see The Casino? It was a Fox reality show about when Poster Financial Group bought the Golden Nugget. Actually, that should be "reality show" in quotes as quite a bit of it was controlled, if not outright scripted (look up a Fox show called The Princes of Malibu for a similar show); for example, a storyline about the owners trying to get whales to play there included scenes of the high rollers in their cars headed to Vegas, as if they knew all along what was going to happen.

How about the British series about a man who sold pretty much everything he had other than the clothes on his back, and was flown to Vegas to make one bet on roulette? I think most of the series was about his trying to find out what he would have to do if he did lose everything (e.g. where would he live?), but in the end, he won his bet.

And you can't talk about Vegas TV shows without at least mentioning Father of the Pride, an NBC CGI-animated show about a family of white tigers that worked for Seigfried & Roy - and which was nearly cancelled before its premiere after what happened to Roy Horn. It was about as popular as a "family sitcom where the family is animated tigers" would be expected to be.

If I have to choose one Vegas show, I'd go for the Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives Vegas special, which was a clip show of the previous visits to Vegas (Guy Fieri went to college at UNLV). One of these ice ages, I'm going to make it out to Those Guys Pies out near Red Rock.
TumblingBones
TumblingBones
Joined: Dec 25, 2016
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 99
April 9th, 2017 at 11:51:18 AM permalink
Quote: blount2000

Any Vegas TV shows from the past that you miss?



Vegas starring Dennis Quaid and the always awesome Michael Chiklis was about Las Vegas in the early 60s. Quaid was the sheriff and Chiklis the mobster. It only lasted 1 season but my wife and I like it.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 117
  • Posts: 12828
April 9th, 2017 at 11:52:59 AM permalink
Quote: TumblingBones

Quote: blount2000

Any Vegas TV shows from the past that you miss?



Vegas starring Dennis Quaid and the always awesome Michael Chiklis was about Las Vegas in the early 60s. Quaid was the sheriff and Chiklis the mobster. It only lasted 1 season but my wife and I like it.

That was not bad IMO.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 402
  • Posts: 19884
April 9th, 2017 at 12:11:46 PM permalink
I have the Las Vegas TV show on DVD. I loved
the glitz of it, the pretty naked girls by the
pools, the sometimes interesting stories. It
wasn't filmed in Vegas, who cares. The outside
shots were, but the interior casino was in
Hollywood. I liked the how they faked what
a real casino was like. They didn't care if a
player was up $100K if he wasn't cheating.
The staff was friendly to the point they would
get involved in your personal life. Just like it
isn't in real life.

"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
blount2000
blount2000
Joined: Oct 15, 2010
  • Threads: 41
  • Posts: 310
April 9th, 2017 at 1:50:11 PM permalink
This was my favorite Vegas TV show for sure. I was quite unhappy when they cancelled it after ending the prior season on a cliffhanger.

I haven't seen some of the other shows that were mentioned above, so they are definitely on my radar now to see if I can find episodes to watch on YouTube.


Quote: EvenBob

I have the Las Vegas TV show on DVD. I loved
the glitz of it, the pretty naked girls by the
pools, the sometimes interesting stories. It
wasn't filmed in Vegas, who cares. The outside
shots were, but the interior casino was in
Hollywood. I liked the how they faked what
a real casino was like. They didn't care if a
player was up $100K if he wasn't cheating.
The staff was friendly to the point they would
get involved in your personal life. Just like it
isn't in real life.

You serious, Clark?
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
  • Threads: 63
  • Posts: 11099
April 9th, 2017 at 3:17:24 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Ever see The Casino? It was a Fox reality show about when Poster Financial Group bought the Golden Nugget. Actually, that should be "reality show" in quotes as quite a bit of it was controlled, if not outright scripted (look up a Fox show called The Princes of Malibu for a similar show); for example, a storyline about the owners trying to get whales to play there included scenes of the high rollers in their cars headed to Vegas, as if they knew all along what was going to happen.


They did the same thing with Andy Bloch and another guy about card counting.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 402
  • Posts: 19884
April 9th, 2017 at 5:49:11 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces


They did the same thing with Andy Bloch and another guy about card counting.



Casinos are excruciating boring places, a TV
reality show can't even make them look exciting.
Gambling is almost like an assembly line. Slow
but sure the casino chips away at your BR.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
Joined: Sep 29, 2010
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 576
April 9th, 2017 at 6:42:29 PM permalink
"Lucky" with John Corbett was pretty funny at times, only lasted one season in 2003.
Boz
Boz
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
  • Threads: 139
  • Posts: 3653
April 9th, 2017 at 7:14:12 PM permalink
There was a Caesars 24/7 show taped at Caesars Palace for a very short time.

And while it isn't Vegas who can forget "Viva Laughlin"?

  • Jump to: