MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 275
February 2nd, 2017 at 7:13:18 PM permalink
This is probably a good time to get a dialogue started about Las Vegas WoVCon: Spring 2017.

Suggested dates and locales?

I've been to two so far, one at Paris, and one at Main Street Station.

So how about it: is there enough interest in having one this year?
"What, me worry?"
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 41
February 2nd, 2017 at 7:40:42 PM permalink
I am interested, as always, but I think for consistency we should use the Spring Fling 2017 name as originally suggested by Mike.

One challenge, though, is that there is already discussion of a spring gathering in the east, and I don't know how many people are potentially interested in both gatherings. That could lead to problems with either scheduling or attendance. Perhaps we should begin by asking folks whether they would go to both events if there were no time conflict. If not, then it would just be a matter of choosing the one each prefers.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 988
February 2nd, 2017 at 9:05:22 PM permalink
I have nothing going on so any date is fine with me. I'd suggest avoiding spring break, which I think is April 9-16 this year.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 76
February 2nd, 2017 at 10:36:22 PM permalink
I'm in. Just give me twenty minutes notice where and when.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 16
February 3rd, 2017 at 12:54:13 AM permalink
I'm in for spring fling anytime. Just tell me when to book and I will hop on a plane.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. ó Amarillo Slim Preston
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 164
February 3rd, 2017 at 6:10:54 AM permalink
Long post warning. Short version: I won't attend this year and here's why.

I attended the Spring Fling last year, but was left a bit underwhelmed. There didn't seem to be a lot of organized activities, so I tried to organize some on my own.

As I recall, there was a dinner and group gambling Saturday, McNugget challenge and lunch on Monday, but that's it.

So I announced and organized a Downtown Vegas Walking Tour for Sunday.

Sure, the dinner and gambling (which turned out to be poker at Binions) was fun, as was the McNugget challenge, but I was kinda left wondering if I missed something. After all, it seemed like not a lot of activities for people to fly in from all over to attend.

Of course, having well over a dozen people attend, but only two join me for the downtown stroll, may have contributed to my sour feelings.

For years, I've been hearing about VIMFP - a meet-up of fans of the Vegas Gang and Five Hundy By Midnight podcasts. I've always wanted to attend, except they hold it on October. With my Sept G2E and Nov Table Games trips, no way I could also come for VIMFP. The podcast recap made them seem like tons of fun. With very full schedules.

Last spring, these podcasts also organized VZZZT. Sort of a springtime mini VIMFP, which based on the recap, still seemed like a lot more fun than the WoV Spring Fling.

Also last spring, the 360 Vegas podcast organized 360 Vegas Vacation 3. Again, seemed like more fun than WoV.

So, when the Vegas Gang announced that there would be no VZZZT this year, and around the same time 360 Vegas announced their 360 Vegas Vacation 4 for Memorial Day Weekend, with an already jam-packed schedule, I jumped on it.

Bottom line, I'll be in Vegas 5/28 thru 6/1, with no additional trips until G2E at the earliest.

Anyone interested in should check out the 360 Vegas Vacation schedule.

Of course, you're also invited to attend if you wish.

So, sorry if I bummed anyone out. Have fun with the Spring Fling, but I won't be there.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition.
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
  • Threads: 121
Thanks for this post from:
RomesBoz
February 3rd, 2017 at 6:24:30 AM permalink
I'll attend if we can get Freddy aka 1bb to show his face
No longer hiring, donít ask because I wonít hire you either
monet0412
monet0412
  • Threads: 9
February 3rd, 2017 at 7:08:51 AM permalink
Small time APs like myself don't have time to do group hugs... they are too busy chasing down some play or promotion. Most likely on my way to the event I would see some progressive that I would get locked into, happens all the time screwing up my plans. For me it would be impossible to go to this mixer, I spend free time with the wife, dogs and family. Just not enough hours in the day.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 26
Thanks for this post from:
PokerGrinder
February 3rd, 2017 at 7:34:37 AM permalink
Quote: monet0412

Small time APs like myself don't have time to do group hugs...

You realize a TON of APing with promotions/etc is all done with networking, right? =)

I'm 60/40 as of now (leaning towards attending)... Since I took an unusual trip a week or so ago I don't know if we'll do our normal spring time-ish trip. It'll have to be a couple weeks before that I'll know for certain. I mean, if you tell me we'll get a poker game downtown with Axel again, then I can't afford NOT to attend ;-).
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
monet0412
monet0412
  • Threads: 9
February 3rd, 2017 at 8:36:09 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

You realize a TON of APing with promotions/etc is all done with networking, right? =)

Nothing is free as you said in an earlier post. Networking would, in the end, make me more cash but it would bring on more headaches for me personally than the money is worth to me. I've survived in this town over two decades on my own and I see no reason to change now. You know that thing about old dogs and new tricks and all. Plus, I know from experience, I'm not very likeable or the type that "plays" well with the other kids in the playground. I do wish you all good fun though and I like sharing information and stories on this site but I can't see it going any further.

• Jump to: