NokTang
NokTang
Joined: Aug 15, 2011
  • Threads: 56
  • Posts: 1314
September 24th, 2016 at 6:03:06 AM permalink
I've applied for a new/replacement card with no success. The Governments contractor simply didn't mail it as contracted to do. I'm in Asia, Thailand specifically. It was supposed to come from Baltimore and I've never had a mailed to Thailand item lost in the mail. They are ripping off the Government, Mr. Trump may fix it, I don't know...

I'll be making some serious gambling trips soon to Las Vegas and Reno and anticipate/know I'll have some 10K sessions and/or sports tickets to cash.

I don't really have a problem providing my SS Number, but have no proof it's what I give. I've done my part but they won't care about that...

Any information or experience cashing large amounts without a card, only your ID such as a passport? Can they actually refuse to cash my chips/ticket without a SS card?

Thanks in advance.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14232
September 24th, 2016 at 7:15:47 AM permalink
I have never needed a SS card to cash in anything. Usually drivers license has been sufficient. They ask me to write down and verify my SSN, but never had to prove it was correct by showing a card or document.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Boz
Boz
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
  • Threads: 155
  • Posts: 5701
September 24th, 2016 at 7:35:50 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I have never needed a SS card to cash in anything. Usually drivers license has been sufficient. They ask me to write down and verify my SSN, but never had to prove it was correct by showing a card or document.



I agree, I have had many Hand Pays over the years and only had to provide it, not show a card. Most people don't carry them and from hiring employees, many struggle to even find them. I don't see any issues for you.
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8623
September 24th, 2016 at 7:47:54 AM permalink
Never needed my card, only the number. Then again, I am American, and it may be different for foreigners or some such thing. Are you American? (Wait you have an SSN....now I'm confused...can non-Americans do that?)

And I think they might be able to require the card for payment, but they usually don't.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
  • Threads: 313
  • Posts: 8696
September 24th, 2016 at 8:37:46 AM permalink
I often in my work was asked to provide an SS no. for something where it was possible the amount in final tally might make them need to do a W2. These were 3rd party things.

Knowing I would not allow it to reach w2 status, I would give a fake SS no., ascribable to bad memory if necessary. Giving out real SS numbers all over the place is not smart.

The last time I tried that, they had a system in place to detect somehow that you gave them an invalid number. So, those days apparently are over. No wonder you don't have to show a card.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
Joined: Jul 3, 2015
  • Threads: 121
  • Posts: 3493
September 24th, 2016 at 5:32:59 PM permalink
There 100 percent is a feature on computers at casinos that verifies what you say now
No longer hiring, don’t ask because I won’t hire you either
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 152
  • Posts: 20074
September 24th, 2016 at 7:37:37 PM permalink
Quote: NokTang

I've applied for a new/replacement card with no success. The Governments contractor simply didn't mail it as contracted to do. I'm in Asia, Thailand specifically. It was supposed to come from Baltimore and I've never had a mailed to Thailand item lost in the mail. They are ripping off the Government, Mr. Trump may fix it, I don't know...

I'll be making some serious gambling trips soon to Las Vegas and Reno and anticipate/know I'll have some 10K sessions and/or sports tickets to cash.

I don't really have a problem providing my SS Number, but have no proof it's what I give. I've done my part but they won't care about that...

Any information or experience cashing large amounts without a card, only your ID such as a passport? Can they actually refuse to cash my chips/ticket without a SS card?

Thanks in advance.

Yes they can, but they probably won't bother you unless it's a jackpot.
Then they can hold 30% on a jackpot, even if you are a NV resident without a SS card they can hold 28% until you bring in a SS card. However, IT'S VERY RARE, they would only do that if they seriously wanted to jam you up.

Hell, they can refuse to cash you out even with everything available if you don't use a players card. I'm not saying gaming won't suggest they pay you, however that can get tricky. Even if gaming rules in your favor it doesn't mean they will enforce payment or even fine them. If it's a blatant screw job they can fine them.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
NokTang
NokTang
Joined: Aug 15, 2011
  • Threads: 56
  • Posts: 1314
September 24th, 2016 at 7:58:40 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Never needed my card, only the number. Then again, I am American, and it may be different for foreigners or some such thing. Are you American? (Wait you have an SSN....now I'm confused...can non-Americans do that?)

And I think they might be able to require the card for payment, but they usually don't.



I'm American. I just live overseas. Reaching retirement I wanted to visit Las Vegas and Reno and Lake Tahoe once again and actually go for it, taking all my savings and letting it rip. As my first bookie said "if you want to win big, you have to bet big".

Thanks for the replies. This matter came up many years ago at a dog track in Florida. The trifecta paid something like $800.usd on a one dollar wager(part of a box). They refused to pay me without the card itself. Times have changed, and Las Vegas isn't a dog track. Interesting one member thinks they, the casino cashiers, are linked to Social Security.
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 173
  • Posts: 10452
September 24th, 2016 at 9:15:06 PM permalink
Quote: NokTang

I'm American. I just live overseas. Reaching retirement I wanted to visit Las Vegas and Reno and Lake Tahoe once again and actually go for it, taking all my savings and letting it rip. As my first bookie said "if you want to win big, you have to bet big".



Seems like a bigger issue gambling all your savings than worrying about your SS card.

Your business though, not mine.
The Hall of Unverified Claims is a vast place with many shelves.
NokTang
NokTang
Joined: Aug 15, 2011
  • Threads: 56
  • Posts: 1314
September 24th, 2016 at 11:51:31 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Seems like a bigger issue gambling all your savings than worrying about your SS card.

Your business though, not mine.



It will be fun, I think I'll win. I'll always have the SS income unless of course it's somehow garnished. Fully insured health care wise in Thailand. Cost of living is inexpensive over here. With all that said, I've always wanted to be a high roller and be treated like one comp wise. I'm not religious either so death not as much a fear as it is for many. Cheers mate.

  • Jump to: