100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 495
March 29th, 2015 at 2:17:23 PM permalink
but I love Walmart's 1/2 price Easter candy sale.

Thx for your sacrifice Jesus.

#BurningInHell

:)

<didn't think this was appropriate in the Religion forum>
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 159
March 29th, 2015 at 2:25:52 PM permalink
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
pew
pew
  • Threads: 0
March 29th, 2015 at 2:33:06 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

but I love Walmart's 1/2 price Easter candy sale.

Thx for your sacrifice Jesus.

#BurningInHell

:)

<didn't think this was appropriate in the Religion forum>

Do you really to know?
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
March 29th, 2015 at 3:33:13 PM permalink
It's just another assimilation of pagan rituals.

There used to be a god of spring, and the bunny was sort of like Santa, what with the bringing of treats and stuff. So when the church was busy taking over the world, the bunny, like many (most?) other traits of the church was taken, absorbed, and used as its own.

Ever played Katamari Damacy? Same thing, basically.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
gigjones
gigjones
  • Threads: 0
March 29th, 2015 at 3:55:31 PM permalink
That’s correct. Easter is heavily dependent upon spring. That’s why Easter Sunday is on a different date each year.

Check it – Easter Sunday is always the first Sunday after the first full moon of spring.
“…when it is not in our power to determine what is true we ought to follow what is most probable." — Descartes
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
March 29th, 2015 at 4:25:35 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Ever played Katamari Damacy? Same thing, basically.

I don't understand this game but it was pretty damn fun when I played it. I don't understand a lot of what my people are doing or thinking half the time. Ever watch a Japanese game show? That's what I'm talking about.

Just found a good example

japanese game show
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 219
March 29th, 2015 at 4:54:35 PM permalink
Easter is not about the death of Jesus but the Resurrection. Christianity does not "celebrate" the death of Jesus. It mourns it. A Catholic Church is a very somber place on Good Friday. It is the only day of the year you do not genuflect to the tabernacle as it is emptied at the Holy Thursday service and the Crucifix will be covered up. For logistics I do not think they cover it during the service itself, however. As always, I invite the Padre to correct me if I have any of this incorrect.

Easter is in spring because it is a time of renewal and goes together.

We give eggs on Easter because egg production naturally goes up in spring. Same as how we have fall vegetables on Thanksgiving.

As a guess, chocolate used to be a thing of prosperity and used for celebration.

How a rabbit comes into play perhaps someone else knows.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
March 29th, 2015 at 6:25:02 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Easter is not about the death of Jesus but the Resurrection. Christianity does not "celebrate" the death of Jesus. It mourns it. A Catholic Church is a very somber place on Good Friday. It is the only day of the year you do not genuflect to the tabernacle as it is emptied at the Holy Thursday service and the Crucifix will be covered up. For logistics I do not think they cover it during the service itself, however. As always, I invite the Padre to correct me if I have any of this incorrect.

Easter is in spring because it is a time of renewal and goes together.

We give eggs on Easter because egg production naturally goes up in spring. Same as how we have fall vegetables on Thanksgiving.

As a guess, chocolate used to be a thing of prosperity and used for celebration.

How a rabbit comes into play perhaps someone else knows.

And the non-Christian explanation, for parity...

Easter comes from the Teutonic goddess "Eastre" (or Esther, or something), who was the goddess of spring. It was said that her sigul was the hare, or that she was often followed by hares, but that is largely supposition. In any case, whether or not it was believed during that time, it has certainly come into belief and did so around the 18th century. Hence, "Easter bunny".

As she was the goddess of spring, a celebration ensued on the spring equinox, hence the date.

Eggs are a sign of fertility, and as spring is the season of renewal, they went hand in hand.

And the church, as it was wont to do, assimilated the traditions of the pagan beliefs as it took over neighboring and/or competing religions. Christian Easter, as AZD said, is about Christ, beginning with Good Friday (the commemoration of crucifixion) and ending with Easter Sunday (Christ's resurrection). All the rabbit stuff and the eggs and the gifts and all that malarkey are carry overs from old, Teutonic, polytheistic beliefs.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
March 29th, 2015 at 6:46:05 PM permalink
"How did we associate the Easter bunny w/the Death of Jesus?"

Go ask Donnie Darko.
"What, me worry?"
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
March 29th, 2015 at 7:14:14 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

A Catholic Church is a very somber place on Good Friday. It is the only day of the year you do not genuflect to the tabernacle as it is emptied at the Holy Thursday service and the Crucifix will be covered up. For logistics I do not think they cover it during the service itself, however. As always, I invite the Padre to correct me if I have any of this incorrect.

I'm not a priest, but you surely have two different services commingled. Holy Thursday and Good Friday are, among other things, different days.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett

• Jump to: