Venthus
Venthus
Joined: Dec 10, 2012
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 824
March 1st, 2015 at 10:33:55 PM permalink
If you're not particularly a fashionable sort, getting clothes online works pretty well. I get stacks of black/khaki slacks whenever they go on sale online. Bog generic, but it's tough to argue with reasonably durable and comfortable 10$ pants.
sc15
sc15
Joined: Sep 28, 2014
  • Threads: 11
  • Posts: 594
March 1st, 2015 at 10:35:42 PM permalink
If you're staying in a hotel, instead of buying food you can eat other people's half finished dinners when they stick their room service trays into the hall.

I've actually seen someone eating off a discarded room service tray. They were drunk out of their mind though, so it didn't really have to do with saving money.
GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 73
  • Posts: 6346
March 2nd, 2015 at 4:52:12 AM permalink
Quote: Venthus

If you're not particularly a fashionable sort, getting clothes online works pretty well. I get stacks of black/khaki slacks whenever they go on sale online. Bog generic, but it's tough to argue with reasonably durable and comfortable 10$ pants.


We buy all of our kids clothes online. Even places like kohls will have end of season 75% off so we will buy for next year.
#freevarmenti
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 210
  • Posts: 8014
March 2nd, 2015 at 5:06:11 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Yes. But the major store brands like Safeway, Walmart,
Kroger, IGA, Vons, Sams Club, and so on, are just the
same or close. The really off brands do get cheaper
ingredients.



It is going to depend on the item. Canned corn is pretty much hard to differentiate. But ketchup can and does have a recipe. Heinz might make private label runs, but they will not be the same recipe. Most likely they have a few private label recipes they offer.

I saw some kind of cold medicine once where it was stamped on the package that the outfit did not make private label products at all.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 12894
March 2nd, 2015 at 5:44:46 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

We buy all of our kids clothes online. Even places like kohls will have end of season 75% off so we will buy for next year.

kohls can have good deals and the oftentimes have fashionable clothing even on the discount rack for $5. I got multiple pairs of nice jeans for $7(actually free see below)

Look for stickers on the newspaper they oftentimes have $10 off of any purchase. At one time they messed up and were refunding the difference if you bought something under $10. They were even letting you use 2 per person if you made 2 separate transactions and you could go to different cashiers. You could do it everyday.

You could accidentally lose your respite and get a full refund on a gift card +$20 if you used 2 coupons. times that by multiple cashiers if you dared.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 138
  • Posts: 5063
March 2nd, 2015 at 6:59:28 AM permalink
Not really cheap but don't want much either besides food and shelter. I'll microwave old coffee rather than make a new pot recently where more might be wasted. I'm not sure if this is cheap but I'll wear pants and shirts a few times before washing if they still seem clean. My wallet is ten years old because I find it suitable and don't think I'll find another I'll like as much.
Looks like sh!t just got imaginary!
zippyboy
zippyboy
Joined: Jan 19, 2011
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1088
March 2nd, 2015 at 7:09:56 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

It is going to depend on the item. Canned corn is pretty much hard to differentiate. But ketchup can and does have a recipe. Heinz might make private label runs, but they will not be the same recipe. Most likely they have a few private label recipes they offer.

I saw some kind of cold medicine once where it was stamped on the package that the outfit did not make private label products at all.


Okay, I can agree that Heinz would want to protect their recipe, so they might not make the identical ketchup that sells for only 99 cents/bottle at Big Lots.

But cold medicine? Looking at the back tells you name brand and store brand contain the same active ingredients virtually every time. You can spend $7 for Afrin, or $2 for generic Nasal-Ease, both have the same .05% oxymetazoline hydrochloride, so why spend more?
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 210
  • Posts: 8014
March 2nd, 2015 at 7:19:20 AM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

Okay, I can agree that Heinz would want to protect their recipe, so they might not make the identical ketchup that sells for only 99 cents/bottle at Big Lots.

But cold medicine? Looking at the back tells you name brand and store brand contain the same active ingredients virtually every time. You can spend $7 for Afrin, or $2 for generic Nasal-Ease, both have the same .05% oxymetazoline hydrochloride, so why spend more?



Oh, I agree on the medicine. The active ingredient is the key. I'm just saying what was stamped on the box.

Not all manufacturers will do private labels as it is a lower margin business and if the factory is already running at capacity the ROI might not be there. More and more grocery chains do their own bread and not from a name baker.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 402
  • Posts: 19884
March 2nd, 2015 at 2:08:14 PM permalink
Bread is easy, it's a non canned, non
bottled, non preserved item.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
djatc
djatc
Joined: Jan 15, 2013
  • Threads: 81
  • Posts: 3656
March 2nd, 2015 at 2:16:36 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

kohls can have good deals and the oftentimes have fashionable clothing even on the discount rack for $5. I got multiple pairs of nice jeans for $7(actually free see below)

Look for stickers on the newspaper they oftentimes have $10 off of any purchase. At one time they messed up and were refunding the difference if you bought something under $10. They were even letting you use 2 per person if you made 2 separate transactions and you could go to different cashiers. You could do it everyday.

You could accidentally lose your respite and get a full refund on a gift card +$20 if you used 2 coupons. times that by multiple cashiers if you dared.



I wish I had Steve Jobs money so I can wear the same thing everyday. Seriously I hate having to pick out a wardrobe. I wore the same jeans for 10 years once until it started having holes and coming apart. If I can find somewhere online where I can buy 10 pairs of jeans for $50 I'd be all over it. Same for socks, IDGAF what type they are as long as they cover my feet.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

  • Jump to: