kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
January 30th, 2015 at 2:47:20 PM permalink
As much as I love living in Vegas, I have a short list of things that I really miss from my years of living in Philly.

In no particular order: Wawa, yuengling lager beer, squirrels, the Philly naked bike ride (held every labor day weekend), Sports teams. (there is a special bonding feeling throughout the city following big wins and big losses) and Wing Bowl.

For those of you who aren't familiar, wing bowl occurs the friday before the superbowl at the Wells Fargo Center (where 76ers and flyers play). It is a wing eating contest, but that hardly does it justice. The place is always sold out with 20,000+ fans, many who tailgated all night long prior to the doors opening at 5am. Here's a clip from todays wingbowl.

http://wingbowl.cbslocal.com/video/11086039-wing-bowl-23-recap-video/
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
January 30th, 2015 at 2:56:49 PM permalink
I was hoping to hear that PHILLY was going to get a 30 year anniversary party going for LIVE AID ...but I guess JFK is long gone
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 30th, 2015 at 3:20:01 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

As much as I love living in Vegas, I have a short list of things that I really miss from my years of living in Philly.

In no particular order: Wawa, yuengling lager beer, squirrels, the Philly naked bike ride (held every labor day weekend), Sports teams. (there is a special bonding feeling throughout the city following big wins and big losses) and Wing Bowl.

For those of you who aren't familiar, wing bowl occurs the friday before the superbowl at the Wells Fargo Center (where 76ers and flyers play). It is a wing eating contest, but that hardly does it justice. The place is always sold out with 20,000+ fans, many who tailgated all night long prior to the doors opening at 5am. Here's a clip from todays wingbowl.

http://wingbowl.cbslocal.com/video/11086039-wing-bowl-23-recap-video/

That sounds fun. You need to coordinate a Las Vegas Wing bowl. I'm in.

BTW, I have found very few places in Las Vegas that have wings I like. I really hate the places where the wings are dripping in sauce.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 30th, 2015 at 4:52:57 PM permalink
That was pretty funny, especially about the 2:00 mark.

I don't associate Philly with wings. Isn't cheesesteak their thing?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
January 30th, 2015 at 6:28:04 PM permalink
I have went multiple times and it is a blast. All the local strip clubs send girls to "promote" their club and then the clubs have after parties. It is truly a Philly original.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 30th, 2015 at 8:11:41 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

That sounds fun. You need to coordinate a Las Vegas Wing bowl. I'm in.

BTW, I have found very few places in Las Vegas that have wings I like. I really hate the places where the wings are dripping in sauce.

I was impressed by the wings at 777 Brewpub. Don't know if you had them, but we got them naked with sauce on the side, and they were crispy, tender, and full of flavor. You might try them next time you stop by.

For that matter, if we get a Wing Bowl going, theirs would be about right. I think the appetizer was about 16 pieces for about 9 dollars.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
January 30th, 2015 at 8:45:15 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

I have went multiple times and it is a blast. All the local strip clubs send girls to "promote" their club and then the clubs have after parties. It is truly a Philly original.

I went twice myself, Boz. First time, met up with friends at the bar the night before about 10pm. We drank until closing, which in Pa is 2am (last call 1:45), except one of the guys that I was going with was co-owner of that establishment, so closing was pretty much a myth many nights. Anyway, about 4am we headed to South Philly, via the subway or to be more precise the night owl bus that ran when the subway was closed at night. Doors opened at 5am. Concession (beer) stands as well. Got out of there about 10:30am after the event and straight back to the bar for lunch, where we drank all day. By Happy hour, I was wasted. I headed home probably 6pm, while my friends were still drinking. I felt like an such an amateur.

Next year, I just met up in south Philly and didn't start drinking until about 8am, which worked out much better for me as I was able to last late into the night afterwards. I felt like a big boy.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
January 31st, 2015 at 3:25:49 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

I went twice myself, Boz. First time, met up with friends at the bar the night before about 10pm. We drank until closing, which in Pa is 2am (last call 1:45), except one of the guys that I was going with was co-owner of that establishment, so closing was pretty much a myth many nights. Anyway, about 4am we headed to South Philly, via the subway or to be more precise the night owl bus that ran when the subway was closed at night. Doors opened at 5am. Concession (beer) stands as well. Got out of there about 10:30am after the event and straight back to the bar for lunch, where we drank all day. By Happy hour, I was wasted. I headed home probably 6pm, while my friends were still drinking. I felt like an such an amateur.

Wow, that is some serious endurance drinking. I don't blame you, even in my early 20s I'm not sure if I could pull off what your friends did.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
  • Jump to: