tommyb35
tommyb35
  • Threads: 1
December 23rd, 2014 at 5:01:11 PM permalink
I have a question that I was hoping someone could help me out with. I went to a card room to play texas hold'em but when I got there all the hold'em games were full and the waiting list was really long. So I went a played crazy pineapple since they had an open seat. The bad beat jackpot they had for Crazy pineapple was the same one they had for their Hold'em game which was Quad 8's beat. I was wondering if anyone would know what the probability was of getting that? I would think your odds would be better on crazy pineapple since you get a 3rd card and you don't throw one away until after the flop. Any help would be much appreciated, because this is one of those things that I have been racking my brain trying to figure it out.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 23rd, 2014 at 6:48:58 PM permalink
this person posted this exact same thing word for word when he blogged it some time ago... that blog post has been removed

I guess it's just to get people going posting these things
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
December 23rd, 2014 at 7:19:42 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

this person posted this exact same thing word for word when he blogged it some time ago... that blog post has been removed

I guess it's just to get people going posting these things

If this is the same text posted before, I don't know why the blog post was removed - I didn't see it or do it. But it seems a legitimate question.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy 
  • Threads: 117
December 23rd, 2014 at 7:49:30 PM permalink
I think it depends on what strategy is used to determine which card to discard. The first question that needs to be answered is, how do you determine that? Since you are dealt three cards and the flop is exposed, there are 1035 different turn/river pairs (the order is irrelevant as the final set of seven cards will be the same regardless), so there are 1035 different possible hands for each of your three possibly discarded hole cards; how do we determine which one is "best"?

One possible way is to determine each possible set of hole cards that the opponents have, and keep the two that are most likely to result in a win, but this (a) requires us to know how many players are in the game, and (b) has to take into account what the opponents will do with their three hole cards.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
December 24th, 2014 at 6:03:10 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

If this is the same text posted before, I don't know why the blog post was removed - I didn't see it or do it. But it seems a legitimate question.

I suppose it could be, *if* so I can picture this person asking the question at various places over and over again, thus needing to have saved it so he can paste it in, but then forgetting where he asked his question! Certainly I distinctly remember he never commented.

On the other hand, I think there is a certain kind of troll that just wants the attention; laughs that people take it seriously. What else could it be in some cases? In this case, maybe it is not a troll.

Since this is a distinct phenomenon, I keep wondering what the thrill is. Do you suppose if you ask a seemingly sincere question, you get people PM'ing you? Then, you start saying something like "I have a friend who says there is this Nigerian Prince blah blah blah"?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
December 24th, 2014 at 8:06:35 AM permalink
any of those could be true, and we've seen them all before, but it could also be legit. I'm in wait-and-see mode, myself.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
December 24th, 2014 at 9:09:27 AM permalink
Quote: tommyb35

I would think your odds would be better on crazy pineapple since you get a 3rd card and you don't throw one away until after the flop.

I believe the chances of getting a qualifying hand and getting beaten are the same either in hold'em or crazy pineapple.

It's still the best 5 card hand of 7. I expect that the for the chances of making a qualifying hand, the discards don't matter any more than the burns.

The discards do matter for the hand playing strategy - they give you a slight insight into what the other players don't have in their hands, and what the turn and the river cannot be.
May the cards fall in your favor.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
December 25th, 2014 at 8:49:28 AM permalink
We're talking about quads 8's or better beaten. The chances are much stronger in Crazy Pineapple than Holdem. Most of the time its going to be quad over quad. There are 42 combinations out of a possible 1326 combinations that make a pair of 8's or better in holdem. About 1 in 31 chance to pick up a pair of 8's or higher. In Pineapple there are 2016 combinations out of a possible 22,100 combinations that make a pair of 8's or higher. About a 1 in Eleven chance to pick up a pair of 8's or higher. So your chances are much better in Pineapple.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
tommyb35
tommyb35
December 27th, 2014 at 12:47:55 PM permalink
odious gambit, this was the first time I have been on this forum. it was an accident that I put it on a blog and after I saw your comment "why would you ask this on a blog post?" I put it on the forum. Im not a troll and I have much better things to do with my time than troll. It was an honest mistake.
Now to the others that actually helped; "Thank You." your info has greatly helped me in answering this question.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
December 27th, 2014 at 1:45:16 PM permalink
my apologies, tommy

I'm afraid we get some weird stuff and I wrongly included your post with it
tommyb35
tommyb35
December 27th, 2014 at 3:25:04 PM permalink
no prob. apology accepted.
cyberbabble
cyberbabble
  • Threads: 2
December 27th, 2014 at 3:32:42 PM permalink
Nearly all poker rooms have separate jackpots and qualifying hands for holdem vs. omaha. The omaha qualifying hands are stronger than the holdem hands. I don't claim to have been to all poker rooms but I have a good selection from a half dozen states.

The poker rooms agree with Mickey. It is easier to get a given high hand in omaha.
  • Jump to: