Like the massacre at My Lai

Not like that at all. Nice try.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
December 10th, 2014 at 6:03:12 PM permalink
It's become a religious war.

Ironically enough though, the west is increasingly secular / atheistic.
"What, me worry?"
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 76
December 10th, 2014 at 6:10:00 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Not like that at all. Nice try.

I know nobody, including you, wants another My Lai.
The point of what I am saying is that when you take the attitude of
Quote: EvenBob

The point
is, under pressure, when lives are at stake,
you do what you have to do, the rules be
damned. Get it done, worry about the
consequences later.

this can be an unfortunate result. That's why we have rules, so My Lai does not happen again.
Power corrupts, absolutely power corrupts absolutely.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
December 10th, 2014 at 6:18:59 PM permalink
People are missing the point. Free people who claim to be part of a just society should live their lives that way and treat everyone with the same rigths and respects and laws as they treat their own. The enemy combatents should have been captured and treated to the same treatment and legal rights as Americans on their home soil.

It doesn't matter what ISIS does, or what other countries do. You are American. You celebrate freedom, offer fair trials, take in refugees, are incredibly charitable. But you have this streak of paranoia about you which makes you believe that it's okay to treat certain people like dogs (worse than dogs) in order to gain tidbits of information, none of which was found to be useful. You have a moral standard to uphold in being American. It doesn't matter what a few muslim extremists do. America's values do not represent theirs, so why go down to their level???

It would have been far more effective to take these people in, treat them well and turn them into informants. Plenty of Germans and Japenese turned during the wars because they were treated well.

It's called leading by example.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 29
December 10th, 2014 at 6:21:39 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

People are missing the point. Free people who claim to be part of a just society should live their lives that way and treat everyone with the same rigths and respects and laws as they treat their own. The enemy combatents should have been captured and treated to the same treatment and legal rights as Americans on their home soil.

It doesn't matter what ISIS does, or what other countries do. You are American. You celebrate freedom, offer fair trials, take in refugees, are incredibly charitable. But you have this streak of paranoia about you which makes you believe that it's okay to treat certain people like dogs (worse than dogs) in order to gain tidbits of information, none of which was found to be useful. You have a moral standard to uphold in being American. It doesn't matter what a few muslim extremists do. America's values do not represent theirs, so why go down to their level???

It would have been far more effective to take these people in, treat them well and turn them into informants. Plenty of Germans and Japenese turned during the wars because they were treated well.

It's called leading by example.

People who are religious fanatics don't turn.

There is a reason people are leaving America and England to join ISIS despite having a far better life.

More British Muslims have joined ISIS than the British Army...
"Whatever is my right as a man is also the right of another; and it becomes my duty to guarantee as well as to possess. -Thomas Paine
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
December 10th, 2014 at 6:23:42 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

It doesn't matter what ISIS does... It doesn't matter what a few muslim extremists do...It would have been far more effective to take these people in, treat them well

"What, me worry?"
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 18
December 10th, 2014 at 6:43:58 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

That is about an Isreali attack on a U.S. Ship, even if you are correct how is that relevant to American wrongdoing? If anything it was an Isreali mistake...

You asked this question and I quote:"What crimes against soldiers have not been prosecuted?"

There are still survivors of the Liberty. They have given statements which are available online should you choose to read them on a source you deem reliable.

I posted two links to answer you query, the other off the top of my head was about "tailhook". You asked, I threw out some leads, do what you wish.

I requested before you not throw the "conspiracy" crap at me. It is a tactic of yours which makes dealing with you pretty hi-maintenance. Right or wrong you seem convinced your opines are correct. Certainly you must realize that there is a lot bigger game going on than the one you are preaching.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 29
December 10th, 2014 at 6:52:52 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

You asked this question and I quote:"What crimes against soldiers have not been prosecuted?"

There are still survivors of the Liberty. They have given statements which are available online should you choose to read them on a source you deem reliable.

I posted two links to answer you query, the other off the top of my head was about "tailhook". You asked, I threw out some leads, do what you wish.

I requested before you not throw the "conspiracy" crap at me. It is a tactic of yours which makes dealing with you pretty hi-maintenance. Right or wrong you seem convinced your opines are correct. Certainly you must realize that there is a lot bigger game going on than the one you are preaching.

I don't, but when a site is called "Whatreallyhappend.com" or something like that, that screams conspiracy. I've agreed with you on many points so I don't way it to everything that you say...

I understand that there is a perception of a bigger game going on and that influences a lot of thoughts. But I don't believe it.
"Whatever is my right as a man is also the right of another; and it becomes my duty to guarantee as well as to possess. -Thomas Paine
Twirdman
Twirdman
  • Threads: 0
December 11th, 2014 at 12:24:02 AM permalink
Quote: Gandler

People who are religious fanatics don't turn.

There is a reason people are leaving America and England to join ISIS despite having a far better life.

More British Muslims have joined ISIS than the British Army...

So if you cannot turn them then whats the point of torture. I mean either these people are die hard religious fanatics who cannot and will not break so torture is useless. Or they have the ability and propensity to turn on their beliefs in which case torture is unnecessary. So if that is the case then why are we torturing people seems like we should stop. Really seems like we should stop once you realize how ineffective it was at getting information according to recent senate report.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 159
December 11th, 2014 at 1:00:32 AM permalink
If one was picked up, but really didn't have much useful information, how would you convince your interrogators you weren't lying? Denials mean more torture for people who also don't know much of anything useful.

Oh, he "claims" he doesn't know anything about that. Keep it going for another week then, and if he still hasn't produced anything useful I guess we can believe him.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?

• Jump to: