JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
November 22nd, 2014 at 8:10:31 AM permalink
Good summary of this debacle.

Motley Fool Article
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 22nd, 2014 at 8:31:48 AM permalink
It was never salvageable. Once the story of structural defects in the foundation got out, no one would want to buy or rent and finishing the building was a fool's errand. A forensic dismantling will show some of the facts but the main thing is how could the inspectors have missed the obvious. Everyone on the site knew what was required and what was actually being done.
DMSCR
DMSCR
  • Threads: 5
November 22nd, 2014 at 8:54:13 AM permalink
Pass by yesterday after a shopping trip to Premium North. That Harmon tower is all draped in black now with all the glass paneling removed. Wonder what they are going to do with that piece of real estate once Harmon is fully demolished.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
November 22nd, 2014 at 10:59:22 AM permalink
The unofficial story that has circulated for several years now is somewhat different. It goes something along these lines: The project was drawn up and began construction before the economic downturn, and was completed just after. With the economy not what it was when the project was planned, The MGM/Dubai partnership knew that they had overbuilt the project and would not be able to fill ALL the rooms and condos, so they set out to find construction flaws and an engineering firm that would pin the blame on the construction company. And they have been fighting about it in court ever since and the fight still goes on, even as the (never used) tower comes down.

One interesting claim that came out of the court battles by the MGM side is that the city of Las Vegas sits on 7 different earth faults and that the structure would not survive a direct hit large scale earthquake. As if they KNOW that any of those strip structures would. LOL. By the way, Las vegas has never been hit by an earthquake of any real magnitude (not counting the frequent tummy rumble kind) despite sitting on active earthquake land.

Whatever the story is, it just breaks my heart to see hundreds of millions and billions of dollars (Fountaine Bleu) in construction projects almost 100 complete and then taken down, never have been used. The same fate likely awaits the Bleu.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 22nd, 2014 at 11:55:59 AM permalink
Individuals aren't the only ones who gamble and lose in Las Vegas.

Corporations take a shot and seven out sometimes as well.

As for the theory advanced above: are you kidding me?

With all the discovery involved in the lawsuit such a claim would be smoked out and easily debunked.

No, somebody simply screwed the pooch, big time: either the architect / designer for not providing for correct, safe placement of the rebar, or the contractor for not following plans correctly.

Should be pretty easy to sort out, one would think, but when you bring in platoons of lawyers and experts, sanity and logic take an extended holiday.
"What, me worry?"
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
November 22nd, 2014 at 12:07:38 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

As for the theory advanced above: are you kidding me?

Not my theory and I wasn't advancing anything. I don't have a dog in this fight. Just sharing a commonly discussed aspect that the members here might not have known about.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 22nd, 2014 at 12:26:27 PM permalink
OK, fine: you've no dog in the fight; I've no beef with the messenger, only the message.

But the theory is asinine.

Put it in the same box with "we never landed a man on the moon" and "the gov't did WTC, not terrorists."

But yes, thanks for posting: I had a good laugh.
"What, me worry?"
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
November 22nd, 2014 at 1:55:41 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

hundreds of millions and billions of dollars (Fountaine Bleu) in construction projects almost 100 complete and then taken down, never have been used. The same fate likely awaits the Bleu.

Somebody gets left holding the bag, whether it is the bank, private investors, others, or all of the above. Why someone wouldn't come in and buy the Fontaine Bleu when it was still a viable project to finish is also beyone me.

The Harmon Tower DE-construction had started last summer when we were in LV.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
November 22nd, 2014 at 1:58:19 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

No, somebody simply screwed the pooch, big time: either the architect / designer for not providing for correct, safe placement of the rebar, or the contractor for not following plans correctly.

My understanding is that rebar spacing is a code mandated issue, its nothing complex or difficult ... if the law says every one foot and you do every two feet, you save yourself time, labor and cost of rebar.. until such time as you are caught which should have been pretty promptly with so many people marching around that site.

I just don't think a few cheating union workers were the full story.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
November 22nd, 2014 at 5:44:20 PM permalink
I had heard, a couple or so years ago, that lots of people who had put down deposits for condos at City Center were balking at completing the sale, and that prices were reduced by about 20% or so in order to close the deals. Are those the slanted towers? How many vacant units exist now?

I know a woman who bought a 1+1 condo in Vagas for 37K about 4 years ago at the low point of the market. Restrictions in the CC & Rs stated that the purchase could not be used as a rental. (Not City Center, of course.)
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
November 22nd, 2014 at 5:58:34 PM permalink
All condo developments want owners not investors who will rent out their units to either short term or long term tenants.

However it would seem difficult to enforce some of those restrictions. Many resort condos have guests of owners who arrive secretively, make use of the facilities and are really guests in competition with the resort itself that caters to short term guests of their own.

When prices plummeted, buyers often tried to back out of paying so much for properties that are suddenly worth far less than the purchase price. Excuses such as "misrepresented" the square footage or the size of the pool didn't really hold water when the real reason was we don't want to be forced to pay a high price.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
November 23rd, 2014 at 10:27:52 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

All condo developments want owners not investors who will rent out their units to either short term or long term tenants.

However it would seem difficult to enforce some of those restrictions. Many resort condos have guests of owners who arrive secretively, make use of the facilities and are really guests in competition with the resort itself that caters to short term guests of their own.

When prices plummeted, buyers often tried to back out of paying so much for properties that are suddenly worth far less than the purchase price. Excuses such as "misrepresented" the square footage or the size of the pool didn't really hold water when the real reason was we don't want to be forced to pay a high price.

I was talking about traditional condo projects, not hotel-style-strip high rises. The lady I was referring to purchased her unit with the stipulation that it was going to be "owner occupied". The association didn't want speculators buying rental units.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
November 23rd, 2014 at 10:31:30 AM permalink
Delete
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
November 23rd, 2014 at 10:34:01 AM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

Quote: Greasyjohn

Quote: FleaStiff

When prices plummeted, buyers often tried to back out of paying so much for properties that are suddenly worth far less than the purchase price. Excuses such as "misrepresented" the square footage or the size of the pool didn't really hold water when the real reason was we don't want to be forced to pay a high price.[/q

I was talking about traditional condo projects, not hotel-style-strip high rises. The lady I was referring to purchased her unit with the stipulation that it was going to be "owner occupied". The association didn't want speculators buying rental units.

Mods: somehow my post became the last paragraph of FleaStiff's post. ??

Fixed, GJ; if you look at the quote, after "forced to pay a high price", there's a [/q . The closing bracket ] got lost somewhere, so I simply put it back in. Note: my putting the brackets in my answer to you causes a very similar problem - it's looking for the end.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
November 23rd, 2014 at 10:39:22 AM permalink
When it happened it caused my iPhone to lock up and I had to reboot. Thanks, BBB.
  • Jump to: