kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
July 28th, 2014 at 10:48:46 AM permalink
Last night I doubled up my year to date blackjack total. Now ordinarily, saying this in late July would indicate a massive win, as my expectation for the amount of play through this portion of the year is mid five figures. Unfortunately, it was no such massive win. It was actually just a half dozen max bet win. That should tell you how my year is going and how far south of expectation I currently am. Even with this double up, my blackjack totals are roughly 10% of expectation. But it's a start.

Now here was the interesting thing about the night. I won 5 max bet/split/double hand. That is a max bet hand split 3 times, with 2 doubles. When things are going bad, as they have been for a while, you just never seem to win these hands and it has been a while since I remember winning one, so seeing the dealer break, while all my pretty crappy max bet and double down hands won, was 'refreshing'. Hopefully it's the start of a little late summer roll for me, because honestly, as far as my blackjack earnings have gone lately, I get the feeling even the street performers are laughing at my income.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 28th, 2014 at 12:04:46 PM permalink
here's to hoping this is the beginning of the big run!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
July 28th, 2014 at 12:05:43 PM permalink
If I doubled my YTD total I'd be down way too much for the year...
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 28th, 2014 at 12:12:37 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Hopefully it's the start of a little late summer roll for me, .

If July 28th is late summer, where the heck
did mid summer go. I thought Sept was late
summer and It's not even Aug yet.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
kewlj
kewlj
July 28th, 2014 at 12:13:29 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

If I doubled my YTD total I'd be down way too much for the year...

Are you saying you are in the hole, so doubling would be more in the hole? Otherwise, I am lost. :(
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
July 28th, 2014 at 12:15:37 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Are you saying you are in the hole, so doubling would be more in the hole? Otherwise, I am lost. :(

Yes, quite a bit :( Although I'm actually up at blackjack.
kewlj
kewlj
July 28th, 2014 at 12:19:41 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

If July 28th is late summer, where the heck
did mid summer go. I thought Sept was late
summer and It's not even Aug yet.

I suppose it depends on where you are Bob. Here in Vegas, late summer is October...LOL.

But what I meant was I hope this is the beginning of a little roll that carries on through the rest of summer, that could get me back in the ball game, at least closer to expectation.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
July 28th, 2014 at 2:13:31 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
July 28th, 2014 at 2:25:38 PM permalink
How long did it take you from when you started playing BJ for a living did you stop sweating actual money and just worry about EV? I've finally come to terms with measuring my play with EV only, not actual results.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
kewlj
kewlj
July 28th, 2014 at 10:06:44 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

How long did it take you from when you started playing BJ for a living did you stop sweating actual money and just worry about EV? I've finally come to terms with measuring my play with EV only, not actual results.

That's interesting. I guess once I accumulated a little money. Back when I started, I was like a minimum wage worker living paycheck to paycheck and with blackjack there are no guaranteed paychecks like that. Constantly taking funds out, made it nearly impossible to experience the bankroll growth that was necessary. It took several years, before I hit a really positive variance run that finally allowed my BR to start growing. Once you accumulate enough of a bankroll that you are playing very minimum RoR and have enough funds to cover living expenses for a significant period, you can stop sweating the wins and losses as much. That's not to say that there isn't some frustration with long negative or under-achieving periods, like the first seven months of this year. But it is a good feeling to know you can go through and deal with such periods and know that it won't effect your living situation one bit.
  • Jump to: